Forums > Videos > skill rating thread

Login/Join to Participate

chrizzGOLD Member
14 posts

Posted:
hello all,

i've been playing around with my poi's for a while now but i'm insecure about my skills.
only few people have seen me play but i nobody could supply good feedback.
that's why i post this little video online, it's my first poi tryout after wintertime so i'm still rusty... :-)
hope you still like the video and hope to get some good tips.
thx

greetz chrizz

EDITED_BY: chrizz (1240042241)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah, nice stuff smile

Overall, I'd suggest working on your general tidyness, 3 things which you could try:
~ Flowers (All kinds)
Work on your arm movements and posture without the poi. Whether straight or bent armed, your arms generally want to be in a line, yours were often a little "wonky" when doing flowers. Practice the flower movements (fwd, bwd, butterfly) infront of mirror/window/shadow and check your arms are in the right position
~ Point of spin
Most noticeable in the butterfly buzzsaw fountain thing about 2/3rds through, but also in the normal buzzsaw, your poi want to be visually spinning from the same point - your hands were often seperated which made the pattern look a little sloppy
~ Purpose
On the whole you have a nice laid back style, but this can border into sloppyness wink For example sometimes it was hard to tell whether you were trying to stall or pendulum your poi, they were somewhere in between. Little things like that, and really drilling split/same time patterns so they're spot on will greatly improve the poi spinning itself, without losing your nice laid back movements.

Hope this comes across as advice rather than criticism - you've got lots of moves down, they just require a bit of polishing smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

chrizzGOLD Member
14 posts

Posted:
thanks, just what i needed!
gonna work on those tips, so wish me luck :-)

chrizzGOLD Member
14 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqD-GcNhoJM

improving or not??

EDITED_BY: chrizz (1245313342)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
errm - now with all due respect, but first I watched and then restarted my computer, next I checked my processes whether there'd be a virus somewhere...

So either it's my machine, or your video is stuttering... as in: not flowing... possibly your moves are improving, I honestly can't say... If looking really hard I can spot that you might be doing quite !wicked! moves, wich I'd be happy to have in my repertoire... smile

but honestly... I was seeing more gress than anything...

What editing software do you use (if any) and how do you render your vids? Best to upload on YouTube would be .avi or .wmv (no matter that YouTube says you should upload .mpegs)

please never mind me only that you could make watching your vids MUCH more pleasurable by putting the camera on a tripod (or anything UP... wink ) and yourself in the center of attention and by rendering higher quality or different filetype...

peace

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

chrizzGOLD Member
14 posts

Posted:
i think it's youtube, i only used my cellphone for for the video and also for rendering, usually it goes good, but when i added music with youtube this is what i got.....
i'll post one without the music maybe this helps.

thanks for your comment anyway:-)

greetz

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
yea sorry, hope you got it from the right angle smile

chrizzGOLD Member
14 posts

Posted:
https://schrizzo.hyves.nl/fotos/620151061/0/Yiwf/

this one should be better but without music ....

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
"One moment, the page is loading... "

but it's not loading shrug

chrizzGOLD Member
14 posts

Posted:
https://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.channel&channelid=119361852

one more try :-)
EDITED_BY: chrizz (1245582711)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
whatever happened to good ol' youtube?

haven't seen your first vid, but I like the stuff you do. still not really straight arms when flower - it's hard to really focus on both arms at the same time but it will come. at some stage you will not have to think about "straight arms" and "flowers" any more, you'll just do it.

keep spinning, you got my vote... smile

chrizzGOLD Member
14 posts

Posted:

finally found out how to embed vids :-)
i didn't edit this one so i hope u still can enjoy, let me know if you see improvement

greetz
EDITED_BY: chrizz (1248767425)

chrizzGOLD Member
14 posts

Posted:
hey guys,

one year later i finally have another little movie to rate my skills.
because i'm a poor lonesome belgian spinner it's the only way i can evaluate myself so if anybody got tips, shoot.

the least of my goals is too see improvement in my spinning, the supreme goal is too move freely with my poi's but there's still a long way a head.
hoping everybody is enjoying summer?
have good times!!

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTom... Best to upload on YouTube would be .avi or .wmv (no matter that YouTube says you should upload .mpegs)...
Since this thread has popped up again, I'd like to make a clarification about video formats for upload. It is not so important to pay attention to the file extension, ie .avi, .mov, .mp4, etc. Those are just container files. All they do is contain media streams (ie video, audio, closed caption, subtitles, etc) that a media player reads and plays back together synced to time-code.

What is important is the codec used to encode your video and audio streams, respectively.

.mpg or .mpeg is a container file for MPEG1 or MPEG2 video streams. I agree with FireTom: avoid those antiquated codecs.

.wmv is actually an Advanced Systems Format (ASF) container file, but named wmv when it contains "Microsoft Windows Media Video", "Microsoft Windows Media Screen", or "Microsoft Windows Media Picture" codecs. At this point in time, avoid using these to upload to youtube.

At this point .mp4 (ISO), .mov (Apple), and .avi (Windows) can all contain just about whatever media streams you can slap in them. I would recommend using an H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video codec, and an AAC audio codec, in your container file for upload to youtube.

If you need to transcode your video to H.264, MPEG Streamclip is free software for MAC & Windows that can transcode just about anything to anything else.

+Alien Jon

BlackQuiltBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
Like you said, you just gotta practice moving freely from move to move smoothly. You do it pretty nice at parts, but you just gotta practice all the ways certain moves and move into other moves. In addition, try learning more moves and variations on ones you know.

I'm at the same stage in my spinning. I'm very confident in the things I can do, but I know there's sooo much more work and perfecting ahead of me. Video taping yourself more and/or watching your spinning in a big mirror will help you see what looks cool and what works together much easier.

Trees are the Answer

chrizzGOLD Member
14 posts

Posted:
thanks for the tips, i'l try working on both comments :-)