Page:
FreakyHairstranger
18 posts

Posted:
Hiya, I signed up to these forums mainly to ask this question, but looking around I think I'll be on here quite a lot!

Anyway..

I'm looking to get some flowtoys poi but really don't know what to expect form any of them, as I'm in the UK its going to cost me a lot to get me hands on some of these so I thought it would make more sense to be 100% sure that I get the right product.

So my first question is, duel light or single light? I know that dual light looks a lot more cool but was wondering about how this effects the moevement of the poi, it seems to take up a lot more of the string and I have only ever spun with sock or fire poi.

Secondly, the modes? I don't really understand these because I read somewhere that the flicker through different lights, which seems a bit strange to me as you have to select the light colour that you want when buying the poi. It would be really good if somebody could tell me what the modes are.

Thirdly, colours. If you do get a set colour on each light then whats a good combination. I know this is presonal preference but I just havnt got a clue how they will look, I've seen the video showing the differnt combinations but that was only for single lights. The colours I were thinking was one poi love/fire and the other air/water. But I don't have a clue!

And finally durability. Are they as durable as I've heard?

I know theres a lot of questions but I really want to be sure that I'm getting the right poi for me.

Thanks smile
Edd

EDITED_BY: FreakyHair (1240832619)

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Hi Freaky,

Personally I would not recommend getting the duo's. I have a set and I find the tubes too long and unweildy. Ive never spun the single ones because I use the crystal poi with flowmass. They are a nice size and weight, for me anyway.

As for the modes, each light has a button to turn on and switch between modes with. Yes you pick the colour but the modes give you various options from solid colour, to strobing/flashing in various different ways. There is even a mode which flashes the LEDs in such a way as to look like a cog when you spin it. I think there are 10/11 modes.

In terms of colours, blue/green/white LEDs are by far the brightest. So the Air/Water lights will give off more light than the love/fire ones. Other than that just pick what you like. I have air, water, water II and fire and they are all decent.

Durability wise they are pretty good if kept in their cases when spinning, I did use one pair of lights without any protection as poi handles and they got bashed about a bit (dropped) and I had to superglue one back together at one end, but it still works fine. I have also experienced issues with the buttons on one or two lights, meaning they are a bit awkward to turn on/off at times (but still work with a bit of persistence).

Hope this helps

smile

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I have two things to say on this topic. . .

Originally Posted By: MotleyPersonally I would not recommend getting the duo's. I have a set and I find the tubes too long and unweildy. Ive never spun the single ones because I use the crystal poi with flowmass. They are a nice size and weight, for me anyway.

I agree.

Secondly, hit search and go to "advanced search" isolate "technical discussion" and then type in "flowtoys"

hug

FreakyHairstranger
18 posts

Posted:
Cheers guys, I did try searching before ut coudn't find any speciic information. I was thinkig that the duos could be too.. weird to spin they are quite large.

Anyway thaks again

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Okay FreakyHair. Tis odd you didnt find anything, I'll do a search and see what I can find, I know I've posted my own views someplace.

For modes.

Maybe you didnt extend the timeframe to search in.

[Old link]

Is all about duos.

[Old link]

Those are a few that have some info.

hug

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
the Duos look AMAZING! smile

bit to pricey for me at present though..

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Everyone I've spoken to doesn't like the duos. Too bulky. They're bad for stalls, bad for wraps (Even though I dont do wraps)

HORRIFIC for line isolations or point isolated movements of any kind.

They LOOK really pretty, thats true, but actually using the things is a different matter, everyone I know tends to feel inhibited and annoyed by how they handle.

hug

daniel_bareketBRONZE Member
stranger
17 posts

Posted:
hi FreakyHair.
I got my flowlight today, and they look amazing!
I got fire and water2. In the beginning I was afraid that the fire will not be bright enough, but no doubt it is (even thogh it is still a bit less then water2).

I'll uploud some photos later today.

FreakyHairstranger
18 posts

Posted:
Cheers guys

That would be realy good daniel smile

Thaks agai lol I thi I have all o my imformation its just choosing the right coours for me now .

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FreakyHairCheers guys

That would be realy good daniel smile

Thaks agai lol I thi I have all o my imformation its just choosing the right coours for me now .

Out of curiosity, what option did you go for in the end? grin

daniel_bareketBRONZE Member
stranger
17 posts

Posted:
so..
I've uploaded some to here:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=88413&cat=500&password=

not the greates photos, but it is nice...

however, I Don't know why, but the fire just don't come out as beautiful as it is in reallity, especialy when I spin fast...
I think I might need to take the pictures with more ambient light.

any way, I hope it helps, but consider it lookes much better without the camera

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonEveryone I've spoken to doesn't like the duos. Too bulky. They're bad for stalls, bad for wraps (Even though I dont do wraps)

HORRIFIC for line isolations or point isolated movements of any kind.

They LOOK really pretty, thats true, but actually using the things is a different matter, everyone I know tends to feel inhibited and annoyed by how they handle.

I think they handle fine. Its only because they are a bit long that makes it harder. They are still good for doing isolations, inside arms, hybrids, wraps etc. This was a while ago so am a bit better now

I now use crystal poi, water as heads and air as handles. This is mainly because i spin in my room and not outside (they are shorter in length and i also like using the flowlights as handles)

FreakyHairstranger
18 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MotleyOut of curiosity, what option did you go for in the end? grin

I havnt ordered yet but Im pretty sure that I want flowpois both with water 2, not sure about flow handles or not and whether theyre worth the money? Also wondering about the weights you can get added.

Cheers for the upload as well daniel, i think im going to go for two of the same though smile

KitanneBackyard Spinners Brigade
5 posts

Posted:
They have a list of the modes and a video showing them on the Flowtoys site, I believe.

I have the single poi and love them. They take a little getting used to because the weight concentration is a little different than normal. The switch button can be a little tricky but even the things I don't like about them wouldn't prevent me from buying another set in a different color. I really want a red/orange/yellow set.

Also, I haven't tried the new soft cases yet but I want to. It's hard to transition from no spinning during the long Minnesota winter to the heavier weights of the flowtoys when it's warm enough at night to spin outside.

When can I go back to New Zealand?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
"Everyone I've spoken to doesn't like the duos. Too bulky. They're bad for stalls, bad for wraps (Even though I dont do wraps)

HORRIFIC for line isolations or point isolated movements of any kind. "

Funny, I just spent a bunch of time at Flowtoys headquarters along with spinners from around the world... Everyone seemed to love the duos and had no problems performing the moves you listed. In fact, such moves were quite popular amongst that crowd...
EDITED_BY: MikeIcon (1242275815)

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
^ you dont have to be a fantastic spinner to use duos either. I found them easy to do isolation, stalls, wraps.
Isolations were harder because they are quite big but still do-able.

If anything i found/find that stalls are easier with them because of the weight and length

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Theres only one linear isolated pattern that looks nicer with duos and thats a point isolated antispin flower, but it really does change what the movement is given that it alters how the head can interact with the space.

All the other linear isolated movements look as though they're done with staves.

The weight is for me far too light and dispersing that weight across the 9 or so inches of head doesn't help.

For stalls you have to enter in on a very specific angle which is limiting to the ways you can enter and exit them stylistically, lending less freedom. It does however show you the exact way you should enter and exit because if you don't it will make the heads wobble.

I can do all those movements without problem but I still can't do them with as much ease as I can with even my fire toys. If I'd bought singles I'd probably use them. If I want glow I use oggs, if I want something with more light I'll use fire.

You're also limited in that you can't shorten up your poi as much as usual.

I'm sure half of these issues would be rectified by adding some weight to the end of it as with a flowmass but since I only ever turn on one set of flowlights anyway, due to the fact that with all that light it tends to make the patterns less clear it more than ever creates the "ooh pretty swirly lights" reaction that I'd rather avoid.

For the above reasons I would not recommend the duos.

hug

FreakyHairstranger
18 posts

Posted:
Ive fialy got my poi after them being held in customs for 4 days... frown... and now i cant igure out how to put the battery in or turn the on lol. I got flowmass added on and it looks like its covering the battery door? Sad times frown

can anyone help?

Edit: no worries i was just being a numpty!
EDITED_BY: FreakyHair (1242738807)

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
The battery door is a pain until you get used to it... you push it in near the oval shaped end. You can remove the flowmass.

Go to their site I think they have a thing that shows you how to get it off.

I'm guessing you got the crystal cases + flowmass?

hug

FreakyHairstranger
18 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonThe battery door is a pain until you get used to it... you push it in near the oval shaped end. You can remove the flowmass.

Go to their site I think they have a thing that shows you how to get it off.

I'm guessing you got the crystal cases + flowmass?

Yeah, crystal cases and flowmass - seem pretty good to me.

They feel to fragile to force the battery door open at first, but its al cool now

Cheers man

HopiusSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
Hello to everyone...
I'd like to buy the cristal poi with flowmass and I'm wandering about the weight of a single head without the handle.
On the flowtoy site I found 0.60 lb but I think it's the weight of the whole package....
thanks
__D

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I think that Motley said they were about 100g?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
I did indeed, heres the thread:

[Old link]

smile

HopiusSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the replies....
I think that they are a little bit too light for me, maybe adding some extra weight with two/three swivels would help me...
I'll think about it on these days.....
thanks again, bye
__D

sean_flowtoysBRONZE Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
guess I'm a bit late here, been busy makin' toys!
the new flowmass is 30g (used to be 20) and crystal poi with 2 mass each are 125g each.
flowpoi are 115g with mass (can not fit 2 mass)
all with flowlights and batteries of course.
smile

find your flow...

SpectroGOLD Member
on fire
2 posts

Posted:
hi, first post two little questions right away ;-)

I've gotten my crystal poi, but the crystal cases look yellow-ish. On all the shop pics they are neutral, a bit milky. The ones I have, look like they've been laying around in a smokers home for month (they don't smell like that ;-p). How do your crystal cases look?

Second thing is, the colecords with swivels have their swivels attached to the end of the cord. Why is that? Wouldn't it make more sense to put them right after the handles?
And does the crystal case fit into the quicklinks on your poi? Mine doesn't, but I don't care since I can change them.

sean_flowtoysBRONZE Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
the crystal cases are made of a very durable polyurethane (like skate wheels) and can handle over 100 lbs of tension on the leash! however, they do tend to yellow over time and especially with exposure to sunlight. also some of them are more yellow than others, even right out of the box.
if they are really too yellow for you, send them back and we'll replace them, but chances are even if they look white when you get them, they will look that yellow very soon.

we are continuing to research material alternatives, but it has been very difficult to find a material that is strong enough, soft enough and clear enough that does not yellow! (and is not Vinyl, which is a terrible plastic for our health and environment)

we have a few leads, and hopefully in the near future this will not be an issue. and as always, you can send back your parts at any time for 50% credit replacement, which is just 5$ for a new pair of cases smile

find your flow...

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
I've found that even though my crystal cases have turned somewhat yellow; they look just the same when they light up.

Sean anyway we can get rainbow flowtoys? or have you ever thought about programmable rgb flowtoys? Or even a clear flowtoys juggling club rig? Obviously you guys probably have a lot on your plate in Bezerkly but I would looove for some new uses for flowtoys to come out.

Thanks for the great product none the less!
-I'm the one Prisna(think thats her name) called out Crystal poi! to at symbiosis this past year. Doubt you remember but freaking awesome cart you guys had!

SpectroGOLD Member
on fire
2 posts

Posted:
thx for your reply, Sean. After testing them at night, it's not an issue anymore. They are as bright as I imagined them to be ;-)
I think most plastics change color when exposed to sunlight. So better don't take vinyl with all its softeners, which afaik can act as hormones, and stay with the save stuff, even if it becomes a little yellow.

thx for the opportunity to send the cases back, great service as always! but no need for a return since bjrcboy confirmed the great look when lit up and I'm very happy with them.

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: sean_flowtoysthe crystal cases are made of a very durable polyurethane (like skate wheels) and can handle over 100 lbs of tension on the leash! however, they do tend to yellow over time and especially with exposure to sunlight. also some of them are more yellow than others, even right out of the box.
if they are really too yellow for you, send them back and we'll replace them, but chances are even if they look white when you get them, they will look that yellow very soon.

Ahh I thought I was just misstreating mine and they were getting grotty, thats good to know smile

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: sean_flowtoysguess I'm a bit late here, been busy makin' toys!
the new flowmass is 30g (used to be 20) and crystal poi with 2 mass each are 125g each.
flowpoi are 115g with mass (can not fit 2 mass)
all with flowlights and batteries of course.
smile

How do the new flomass fit over the cases? The 'weight sleeves' sold on here were a bit annoying as the slit down the middle would open wider ( laugh3 ) when they were spun. I countered this with an elastic band around the ends of them.

Ive had my crystal cases for a while now (before i lost them) and they never went yellow??

Page: