Forums > Social Chat > OLD HOP HEADS V.S NEW HOP HEADS

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
this is where the old heads come to laugh about the move/moves they had trouble with as a newbie. just thought the subject was perfect remember the FIRE VS glowsticks threads. LMAO... anyway, I remember bashing the shyt out of my shins and my head with a BTB weave. I remember only being able to do the butterfly for a few beats, I remember thinking WHAT DO YOU MEAN IM ONLY DOING A 4 BEAT WINDMILL, WHY IS IT ONLY 4 BEATS WHEN IM DOING THE EXSACT SAME THING I DO WHEN I DO A 5 BEAT WEAVE. lol ahhh the memories. Im constantly refering people to this site, perfect for poi. well anyway its been nice remembering the past...anyone else got anyhting to add?

-Myst

All you new heads got it easy, i remember when a BTB 5 beat was unheard of, now that most of us can do it, all the old heads learn it alot quicker without the mind barrior.

now advice for a newbie section:

dont try to learn all the technical moves before you learn the basics, cause lets face it, you aint getting any respect if all you can do is a 5 beat weave and you cant even imagine doing a simple butterfly. thats all i gotta say

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: linden rathen

but pele you are a goddess among Hoppers biggrin

pshaw! Yeah...goddess of all things mean and b!tchy. Just look at how many of the older HoPpers aren't here anymore. You think it is cause they got bored? Nah....I just scared them off! wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
ill chime in on the old school....If Pele doesnt mind....

tons of new people on the board, i remember when it was like 10...well maybe more than 10, but you get the picture.

Super'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pele

I've had some scary moments meeting people from here actually. Not because they were nasty but because they were too enthusiastic that I'm me. It was surreal.

You don't know the half of it!

Some people *koff*FRD*koff koff* have been *afraid* to come up to me because of my "legendyness." ubblol

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
A few people never meet me cus i'm in Australia and stuff.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

Some people *koff*FRD*koff koff* have been *afraid* to come up to me because of my "legendyness." ubblol

Oh shush

Sheesh, if you're a shy guy, you get nothing but strife tongue

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
OMG! Superman!!! good to see your still kickin around the place smile

this thread has brought back memories of the good old days...when you knew everyone on the board...and stuff... wink

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

meghannenthusiast
302 posts

Posted:
i remember the firsat day i did poi, i learned beat n butterfly... and did fire that night... mum looked so scared!

ive learned
life is tough... but im tougher

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I also remember when I first joined the boards... I was nervous whether I'd be accepted or not.

-Mike

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I was a bit nervous about meeting you mike when i saw u in clapham, likewise it was cos of your legendyness

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: PyroWill

I was a bit nervous about meeting you mike when i saw u in clapham, likewise it was cos of your legendyness

See see see?

Its not just me...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pigeon_Wigeon

Hee hee I didnt know who you were for a bit... then I got cold and you stripped.. smile And then there was the whole popping of cherries sketch.. so natural.. not at all forced smile

Refresh me?

-Mike

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
wow. reading what the boads used to be like is awesome.

I think I've been around for a year and 2 months(ish) so I'm still new, but I really feel new, like I have only been here a few months or something.

Someone mentioned being scared when first joining due to not being accepted, I still feel like that, but it is getting better.. grr this only being member number 8036 stuff, lol

EDITED_BY: Hanz (1125104113)

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

poor deluded fool that he is....

Meh

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
man I remember last summer when NYC was having a get together in queens, I'd been spinning 5/6 months....I was so nervous about meeting such a well respected guy, legend if you will lolsign

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
the only one I ever worried about meeting was Arashi.

So i was quite glad when he completely ignored me all weekend at Falmouth...

Meh

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: fireNice

man I remember last summer when NYC was having a get together in queens, I'd been spinning 5/6 months....I was so nervous about meeting such a well respected guy, legend if you will lolsign

Ha! I'm hardly intimidating. Maybe you'd just been watching too many violent movies set in New York City. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:

smile
Written by: Wild Child

this thread gives me hope that the BTB weave isn't beyond me if these guys struggled with it not so very long ago.

but you can do the BTB weave now hug iv seen you and was most impressed weavesmiley

I'm loving this thread I to only joined about the same time as will redface and feel old also

I sometimes feel older than I am on this place, I know I’ve only been here since august but every time I meet ppl, they seem to be like hey YOUR pyrowill, its a bit odd, and likewise they find it odd I cant 5 beat weave, like they expected me to be really at poi or something ubblol

but will you are a freak ubbloco we both went to our first few meets together and by Sheffield you knew everyone hug

and yet I still don’t know most people but on the other hand people know me confused how odd I turned up at play and got so many hugs and people point and say oh minty he over there (not spinning lol) redface

I love you lot
ubblove ubblove ubblove

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:

I sometimes feel older than I am on this place, I know I’ve only been here since august but every time I meet ppl, they seem to be like hey YOUR pyrowill, its a bit odd,

I've been here for way less time than you and i found it most strange to arrive at falmouth and have everyone know who i was, even though i had only met about 3 HoPpers before then!

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
it's cos we are all so lurvely biggrin

I find it funny that people know who I am before I know who they are - I always forget about the avatar rolleyes

I'm an Old and a New HoP Head smile (multiway fairy wink )

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
I remember when i use to spin uphill, in the snow, on the way to school, both ways, bare footed, and all we had to spin with was thread we unraveled from our t-shirts. We didnt even have fire, we had some one stand next to us and make *wooshing* sounds and we'd close our eyes. we didn have these new fangled things like chains and them glow-thing-a-ma-bobs.

i rememberposting a new move that i did, and some one (usually Cassandra, Pele, or Cantus) going...dude that a butterfly.

Crap!!...ok how about this new move i just invented it..

Dude...that is just a reverse weave with a tuck..

pooo!!!

aahhh memories..
Super'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
I dont know what i am...

There have been times when ive been nervous talking to someone at first because of thier "legendyness"
*cough* *Bluecat* cough* but maybe there has been times when people havent wanted to come speak to me (Altho i hope not and i doubt it! haha)

I think pyroWill is a superstar tho... i dont think i show how much i really appreciate him sometimes... but hes wicked!!! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
umm

spank

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"I think pyroWill is a superstar tho... clap

He is a true superstar and a fantastic friend.
hug Will

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
what has this turned int a we love will thred

cos we do biggrin

will hug ubblove

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i hav stopped getting the "oh your mech"

maybe its cos i now great people as "hi im step, im a kn*b"

hmmm, maybe i should change that?

and will is ok, hes not as good as a flexibe friend thought wink

Step (el-nombrie)

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
flexibe friend eek eek eek

family bord wink

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I don't know about me. I'm not an old school hopper...but I'm not so much a new one either. I do post quite a bit so people might have heard about me? I dunno.

Will!! You've only been on here for a year? It seems like you've been on for years. I've been on here longer than you! That seems weird!

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
mint, do you not knwo what a flexible friend is?

thats shocking!

Step (el-nombrie)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Its a Barclaycard smile

and Mech.. I ubblove your new avatar sooo much than you old one ubblol

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
redface redface redface

aww thanks guys always nice to hear in the morning biggrin I love you all too very much

Jon: Anytime mate, I always have an ear to listen and a bum u can squeeze if you need it

Vicki kiss You dont need to appreciate me anymore than you do, but feel free to anyway wink

And tobi, my first hopper friend, i love you too, even fi you did leave me asleep on a chair in the freezing cold for hours hug

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Page: