PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I found out of my counsellor that poi is extremely good for the brain activity. To start off I was doing EMDR cant remember what it stands for exaclty but I have undergone a treatment that requires both sides of the brain to work to replace memories in a different part of the brain, restores it elsewhere so it isnt as traumatising. She used her finger to lead my eye movements and recall the incident as real as possible.
Anyways I showed her my much improved poi today because she was intrigued (and I didnt mind showing off) and she noted that I get calmer/more angst free when I do it... she says that Poi is a way for EMDR to work.
Also there is the physical benefits but I thought I'd add an intelligent anecdote for the day since I'm usually full of crap. lol

Fire Monkeymember
176 posts

Posted:
yeah definatly good for body and mind.
My sis 23 year old is the scaryest person ever and now i just give here some poi, or devil sticks and she just zones out. fantasic!

Every ones a monkey!
Yes even you!

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Yup, same here, love to just chill with em and apparently I pull the strangest faces when twirling. lol

Nathdaninjamember
271 posts

Posted:
Cool, I love the total mental engagement thing you get with poi stix etc, it's so addictive and it's good to know it's good for head aswell as your bod.

I do find myself dreaming about stix moves tho and waking up going through a heli to prop to some random funky move.....but I forget it really quickly

You had another burn then yet?

boing...boing...When the naive man admits his naivete, he is no longer naive.Thus, all people are regarded by society as either ignorant or a liar.Wonders never cease, as long as you never cease to wonder.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I make absurd faces when im struggling to learn stuff. It's mostly a "please don't crush my testicles" face

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Poi keeps me sane sometimes.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I think sum1 shud get my face wen I'm spinnin... aparently I look really serious n wehn I'm spinnin fire I'm kinda ARGH!

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Not a problem, ill quite happily post a video on hop of your face when you spin.

Maybe we could do a compilation cos Jo tends to dribble a bit when he'c concentrating too.

Another video i would love to do is a footwork one, I once taped my feet when i had a 5 min practice and learnt more from that then any other video.

Still can't dance though

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Poi has definitly helped keep me sane or maybe sane-er

As for facial expressions I'm a chew my bottom lip or stick my tongue out

Edit sp

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I noticed 2nite tht when I'm twirling me fire poi I stick my tongue out... which is cool because I ahve a tongue piercing.... maybe I shud get a mini tongue lighty uppy thing... not fire.. lol