solarisBRONZE Member
stranger
13 posts

Posted:
so i would like to start with the staff....and i need something for the beginning..are there any advices for making a beginners staff...with what did u all start...

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
first thing to do is check out the sticky at the top of the staff forum page by MCP on the Absolute Beginner's guide to Spinning Staff. She does have links back to her site, tepooka.com and a few hints on how to make your own fire staff.

But to start, it really can be anything. I'd go with a simple wooden pole though, as you might be dropping it a lot at the beginning. I used a broom pole with piece of foam pool noodles taped to the ends for padding and balance and for something visual to latch onto. Some tennis raquet grip (4 rolls, to be exact) made a very excellent grip and then your choice of colored electrical tape to mark the balanced middle of the staff. Something bright and contrasting to whatever your grip is, though. It will help you to see where you are trying to grab when doing many moves.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
I used a bamboo stick I got from the bamboo tree in my backyard. Worked well.

FerroMancernewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Do you find that training with a heavier staff helps get your wrists 'into shape' for faster moves with a lighter staff?

"And he sang to them...until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness." - JRR Tolkien

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by :FerroMancer

Do you find that training with a heavier staff helps get your wrists 'into shape' for faster moves with a lighter staff?

yes... but probably not in the way that you think.

I think that the biggest benefit of a heavier staff (provided that it's not so heavy as to cause discomfort, or worse, damage, to a wrist that is not yet strong enough to manipulate it) is that it will slow you down; this, coupled with the heavier staff's greater momentum, has the benefit of making your movements more deliberate and allow you to more easily discover how you and the staff can move together; to guide the staff, rather than force it.

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
ditto Nicely worded too.

The inertia of the heavier staff means that it can be spun smoother and slower, and it also is more "willing" to keep in plane. Though as touched on above, you want to ensure it's not too heavy so as to damage your wrist.

Unless it's particularly thick bamboo, i think it'd be both a bit too light, and a bit too bendy. At the least i'd look at adding some weighting on the ends.

The old "broom stick with tennis balls on the end" strikes a happy balance between cost and useability. You can also put some rice/grain in the ball if you want extra weighing smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
One note one bendy staves.....

If a staff is bendy, and you add weight to the ends, this will make the staff very bouncy which can be fun and painful

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!