Forums > Help! > researching participation levels in fire dancing

Login/Join to Participate

CERAnewbie
1 post

Posted:
Hi
im doing some research on fire art for a course im doing, can anybody take the time to answer some questions for me?

Thanks guys!
biggrin

Questionnaire : Fire Dancing

Gender?
How old are you?
How old were you when you began fire dancing/fire art?
How often do you practice?
How much time do you commit to fire dancing? Eg hours per week.
Why did you begin fire dancing?
How did you know about it?
How many people participate in fire dancing in the organisation you are in?
How long do people usually 'try' fire dancing for?
Why do you think people stop?
Why do you think people don't participate?
How much does it cost you to keep up fire dancing? e.g weekly or monthly cost
What are some sporting trends in your area? What sports are popular?

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Gender? Male

How old are you? 24

How old were you when you began fire dancing/fire art? 20

How often do you practice? Daily

How much time do you commit to fire dancing? Approx 15hrs a week

Why did you begin fire dancing? Led on from glow juggling, which was because of raving...

How did you know about it? Friends and the tinterweb biggrin

How many people participate in fire dancing in the organisation you are in? Theres 13 in our fire troop - not all spinners though

How long do people usually 'try' fire dancing for? Um, it varies I suppose!

Why do you think people stop? I have no idea, I don't intend to

Why do you think people don't participate? Because everyone has their own interests

How much does it cost you to keep up fire dancing? Not much until I buy new equipment, probably £6-800 a year including travel, conventions and equipment. I make a bit back through performances though, maybe £400 a year.

What are some sporting trends in your area? What sports are popular? Football, rugby, cricket. I personally play squash regularly.

Hope this helps smile

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Gender? Male

How old are you? 22

How old were you when you began fire dancing/fire art? 21

How often do you practice? Currently, 6-18 hours a week

How much time do you commit to fire dancing? Eg hours per week. I'd say i spin with fire between 5-15 times in a week, depending on the week

Why did you begin fire dancing? I saw a guy doing it at a party and it's been down/up hill since then.

How did you know about it? Learned most of the basic stuff from the internet, met people in my area from the internet, and have gone to a couple of workshops.

How many people participate in fire dancing in the organisation you are in? there are about 12 of us and then a few others are not so regular.

How long do people usually 'try' fire dancing for? I dunno

Why do you think people stop? I would imagine being burned or hitting a plateu in yer abilities.

Why do you think people don't participate? Scared of fire, seems crazy

How much does it cost you to keep up fire dancing? e.g weekly or monthly costWell, i average maybe a can a week of gas, at about $8. building a new staff costs roughly $60 and that is maybe....quarterly

What are some sporting trends in your area? What sports are popular? Kickball, baseball, skating, pool sports.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:

Gender? Male
How old are you? 28
How old were you when you began fire dancing/fire art? 18
How often do you practice? every day
How much time do you commit to fire dancing? Eg hours per week. ~4-5 hours / week
Why did you begin fire dancing? more fun than juggling, been a circus fanatic since age 11
How did you know about it? logical progression from other circus skills
How many people participate in fire dancing in the organisation you are in? 4
How long do people usually 'try' fire dancing for? 1 year
Why do you think people stop? because of the learning curve - the basics are easy but it rapidly gets harder and requires commitment (as with most things in life!)
Percieved as "a waste of time", dangerous, hippy! and people don't believe themselves able (without even trying).
How much does it cost you to keep up fire dancing? e.g weekly or monthly cost - as a hobby you could probably keep it up for as little as £100 / year for equipment but then you would need to add travel + festivals/conventions + accomodation. - this realy depends on how active you are! 1 pair of socks + 2 tennis balls = ~£2 and that could last you for 10 years although it isn't "fire dancing".

As a professional the running costs come to around £5000 / year + travel + accomodation + wages, a figure which I expect to double next year due to some major purchases on the horizon!
What are some sporting trends in your area? What sports are popular? All the usual - football, rugby, cricket, rowing, tennis, hockey... fishing, pool, darts, snooker, bowling...

Does that help?!

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Gender? Male

How old are you? 39.8

How old were you when you began fire dancing/fire art? 28

How often do you practice? Irregular, from daily to weekly

How much time do you commit to fire dancing? Eg hours per week. Irregular, from 3 to 10

Why did you begin fire dancing? Fascination of fire, artsy expression...

How did you know about it? Saw it in Byron Bay Main Beach Park, was fascinated and then ppl came to offer workshops.

How many people participate in fire dancing in the organisation you are in? Presently I'm in no organisation, but when I had been, it's been 10.

How long do people usually 'try' fire dancing for? ??? Don't get the question, I'm at 12 years and still spinning... but the average might be only for half a year (holiday spinners included)

Why do you think people stop? They 'grow up', get discouraged or simply shift priorities.

Why do you think people don't participate? ???More people pick it up every year, many drop it because it looks more easy than it is. To those who don't participate it looks more difficult than it actually is.

How much does it cost you to keep up fire dancing? e.g weekly or monthly cost... Average? Depends, I'm at a max of 1000€/ year but I get return of investment (+) as I do earn money with performing
What are some sporting trends in your area? What sports are popular? Right now? Cricket, Hanggliding, Kitesurfing, Pool. Before? Soccer and the other usual stuff.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

CaffeinatedKatieGOLD Member
Teacher, Dancer, Artist, and General Smartass
149 posts

Posted:
Gender? Female
How old are you? 23
How often do you practice? 2-3 times a week
How much time do you commit to fire dancing? Eg hours per week. 3 hrs a week
Why did you begin fire dancing? because it's *&%$# awesome!
How did you know about it? When I started college, I found Poi Club at the activities fair and magically picked it up like a natural.
How many people participate in fire dancing in the organisation you are in? In the 5 or 6 years I've been connected to the college club, the attendance ranged from 6-20, depending on many things.
How long do people usually 'try' fire dancing for? My experience running the club showed that people had great enthusiasm at the beginning, but attendance trickled off after a few months. Spring semester has always been poorly attended, until right before the school arts fair where the club has a performance for a HUGE audience, then the people who trickled off come out of the WALLS so they can perform at the festival.
Why do you think people stop? The students at my college are notorious for overloading on activities and begging off on everything because they're "too busy." I also think that they couldn't maintain the patience to learn enough to feel good about it.
Why do you think people don't participate? I really, really don't know.
How much does it cost you to keep up fire dancing? e.g weekly or monthly cost $15 a month, we'll say.
What are some sporting trends in your area? What sports are popular? Ultimate frisbee, frisbee golf, and golf with a tennis ball.

Good luck with your course. I'd be interested in hearing your results and what you make of this information for your class.

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
Gender? female

How old are you? 18

How old were you when you began fire dancing/fire art? 16? maybe i think

How often do you practice? daily

How much time do you commit to fire dancing? Eg hours per week. not enough, ummm 2 or 3?

Why did you begin fire dancing? i found the idea interesting and exciting, as well seeing being facinated by people who do it

How did you know about it? saw many poepl perform at parties

How many people participate in fire dancing in the organisation you are in? im not in an organisation, or anythin even slightly organised

How long do people usually 'try' fire dancing for? im not sure, instrest does seem to dwindle after a few months

Why do you think people stop? lack of enthusiasm

Why do you think people don't participate? not sure, same as above???

How much does it cost you to keep up fire dancing? e.g weekly or monthly cost: hardly anything

What are some sporting trends in your area? What sports are popular, football, basketball, umm that osrt stuff though i dont like football

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Gender? male
How old are you? 25
How old were you when you began fire dancing/fire art? 18 maybe 19
How often do you practice? less than i used to but still every day
How much time do you commit to fire dancing? Eg hours per week. if you include juggling as well probably around 15
Why did you begin fire dancing? Didn't realise you could set it on fire when i first started but basically saw someone with a staff and wanted to learn.
How did you know about it? self taught for the first 18 months then stuff on the internet.
in chimaera there are umm.. 12? 13? but there are probably another 20 people or so locally that regularly meet.
How long do people usually 'try' fire dancing for? anything from 5 minutes to the rest of their life. I'm planning on doing contact with my walking stick when im 70.
Why do you think people stop? gets too hard, cant be bothered any more, move on to other stuff, why does anyone stop anything?
Why do you think people don't participate? Not interested, havn't considered trying.
How much does it cost you to keep up fire dancing? e.g weekly or monthly cost
hard to say but with travel, new kit, fuel and conventions id say about £2/3000 a year, a lot of that will be fuel traveling to gigs though so i make that back.

"Don't do it naked!"

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
Gender? Female
How old are you? 20
How often do you practice? weekly
How much time do you commit to fire dancing? Eg hours per week. meh... fire- not so much maybe 4 four hours a month
Why did you begin fire dancing? Some of my old friends did poi and other circus tricks. Bought my first set at leeds fest and started to learn
How did you know about it? see above some of my friends did it
How many people participate in fire dancing in the organisation you are in? There's maybe three of us that are the core. others come and go randomly. usaully eight of us at any one time but can be more.
How long do people usually 'try' fire dancing for? I really don't know. From above none of the part-timers do fire (we generally don't encourage it if they are not coming regurlary.)
Why do you think people stop? Frustration at learning new moves, other hobbies, get bored.
Why do you think people don't participate? It looks difficult, takes a lot of practice, scared of fire.
How much does it cost you to keep up fire dancing? e.g weekly or monthly cost I really don't know and it varies, sometimes no more that £1.20 my bus fare there and back. Sometimes i have to buy kero, sometimes i get a taxi.
What are some sporting trends in your area? What sports are popular? Rugby is very popular, as is cricket. Not really sure about much else. Football is popular too.

toobs
x

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
Gender? Male
How old are you? 21
How old were you when you began fire dancing/fire art? 19
How often do you practice? 5-7 days a week
How much time do you commit to fire dancing? Eg hours per week. 10-15 hours
Why did you begin fire dancing? Thought it looked like fun
How did you know about it? Through friends
How many people participate in fire dancing in the organisation you are in? I'm not really in an organisation but I know about 10 people who spin
How long do people usually 'try' fire dancing for? 5 minutes
Why do you think people stop? Because their legs/arms/face hurt
Why do you think people don't participate? see above
How much does it cost you to keep up fire dancing? e.g weekly or monthly cost £2 for practices, very little per week for gear considering how long it lasts & how cheap it is
What are some sporting trends in your area? What sports are popular? All sorts, most people I know play football a fair amount in summer

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Gender? Female

How old are you? 22

How old were you when you began fire dancing/fire art? 20

How often do you practice? HA - now once a month, unless I have performances, maybe once a week

How much time do you commit to fire dancing? Eg hours per week. one, if that, though I do have weeks where it's more like 10.

Why did you begin fire dancing? It was an interesting circus art.

How did you know about it? Friend/uni student took me to a meet.

How many people participate in fire dancing in the organisation you are in? My troupe, 6 dancers... my 'organisation i.e. my medical student year - 4.

How long do people usually 'try' fire dancing for? I don't know anyone who has quit

Why do you think people stop? Age, burns

Why do you think people don't participate? Fear, time, interest

How much does it cost you to keep up fire dancing? e.g weekly or monthly cost - well, either I'm practicing and it's free, or I'm performing and earning money, so Nothing!

What are some sporting trends in your area? What sports are popular? my current area? AFL I guess

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:

Gender? XY (smartass for male)

How old are you? 19

How old were you when you began fire dancing/fire art? Uhh, maybe 16 but not seriously until 17.

How often do you practice? About once or twice a week - I used to practise 5 times a week, but needed to commit to university more

How much time do you commit to fire dancing? Eg hours per week. Practically nil - a few times in a month, but no more than an hour at max

Why did you begin fire dancing? Scouts wanted me to perform among others at an opening ceremony in the last Jamboree
How did you know about it? Through Scouts

How many people participate in fire dancing in the organisation you are in? There's roughly a dozen or two twirlers I meet up with, and roughly 30 twirlers in my local area (Victoria) I know through Scouts aside from that no-one

How long do people usually 'try' fire dancing for? A few hours if they aren't serious, a couple of months if they want to be, until it becomes a part of their lives

Why do you think people stop? Not enough time, or motivation - a lack of interest among those who have only done it once or twice

Why do you think people don't participate? I think once people realise the amount of commitment it takes to reach a certain level of skill they quickly loose motivation to improve through participation

How much does it cost you to keep up fire dancing? e.g weekly or monthly cost - When regularly fire-twirling intrinsically, roughly $5-10AUD per night, when performing I can usually get the costs covered by the event managers

What are some sporting trends in your area? What sports are popular? Aussie Rules Football is a nationally loved sport, as well as cricket. Often when practising in the park at uni I see other students playing soccer (also very popular) and volleyball. Basketball is also extremely popular.

Kupo!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:

Gender? female
How old are you? 26

How old were you when you began fire dancing/fire art? 24

How often do you practice? Few times a week

How much time do you commit to fire dancing? Eg hours per week. 3

Why did you begin fire dancing? I'm a quiet person who doesn't do very exciting things, thought this might help

How did you know about it? Myspace

How many people participate in fire dancing in the organisation you are in? Just me but I know a comedy show that does fire- not so much dancing (heh, dancing pirates)

How long do people usually 'try' fire dancing for? no clue, it took me a year to light up the first time and another year before I did it again. Now, I'm trying to do it once a week

Why do you think people stop? No time, no support

Why do you think people don't participate? it's strange and scarey. Go tell someone you play with fire and see the looks they give you.

How much does it cost you to keep up fire dancing? e.g weekly or monthly cost---I have no idea. I spent 50 on the poi and still working on my first bottle of fuel (5.99)

What are some sporting trends in your area? What sports are popular? Football soccer snowmobiling baseball basketball rugby Oh discgolf

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Gender? Male
How old are you? 22
How often do you practice? At least once a week, usually twice or three times
How much time do you commit to fire dancing? Eg hours per week. at least 2 hours
Why did you begin fire dancing? Was a martial artist for over 6 years and had stopped training due to circumstances beyond my control. Saw firedancing on a beach one night and gave it a go. Found a lot of martial arts concepts applied readily, so I kept pursuing it.
How did you know about it? I...didn't smile it just randomly appeared in my life and intrigued me from the beginning.
How many people participate in fire dancing in the organisation you are in? Currently safety teching for a duo that i regularly train with in acrobalance and spinning.
How long do people usually 'try' fire dancing for? The novelty/honeymoon period usually lasts for a couple of weeks and then people either keep going, take a break, or give it up entirely. The reasons for the above will vary from person to person.

Why do you think people stop? Either lack of interest, busy lifestyles, nobody around to teach them or support/encourage, being overwhelmed by the skill of other firedancers they meet, not wanting to be the identified with the 'fire twirling hippie' stereotype, the fear of getting burned or actual suffering of a burn.

Why do you think people don't participate? Mainly the fear factor, most people I come across who have never seen/heard of the art will almost always say 'i could never do that, i'd burn myself/too uncoordinated'
How much does it cost you to keep up fire dancing? e.g weekly or monthly cost I don't regularly spin fire anymore, tend to keep it to practice sessions, festivals or gigs. Most of my cost goes to the initial outlay for fire toys...so for about 3-4 months i'd probably have spent $10 on fuel...and then 1 month i would have laid out $50-100 on purchasing new toys. As an occasional performer there is no regular upkeep for me.

What are some sporting trends in your area? What sports are popular? Cricket, Australian rules football, Soccer, Badminton.

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Gender? female

How old are you? 22

How old were you when you began fire dancing/fire art? did it for the first time: 12, did it regularly 16

How often do you practice? i don't practise so much as just play. And a few times a week.

How much time do you commit to fire dancing? Eg hours per week. I have no idea. Maybe 2 all up.

Why did you begin fire dancing? enjoyable dance that can be done socially without specific routines.

How did you know about it? went to NZ in grade 6 and did traditional poi there

How many people participate in fire dancing in the organisation you are in? I don't know what you mean by fire dancing organisation. i don't really think of fire dance as something that is in an organisation - there's no specific body for it, it's more social groups of friends.

How long do people usually 'try' fire dancing for? I think most people do it for a few months

Why do you think people stop? the novelty wears off, particularly when the learning curve hits the plateau.

Why do you think people don't participate? because some people can be very snobby about it and don't make a friendly environment for beginners

How much does it cost you to keep up fire dancing? e.g weekly or monthly cost. not very much at all

What are some sporting trends in your area? What sports are popular? Cricket in summer, AFL in winter, soccer is on the increase and tennis and netball are popular at all times of the year.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
Gender? Male
How old are you? 22
How old were you when you began fire dancing/fire art? 18/19 not really sure
How often do you practice? Most days, if only for five minutes
How much time do you commit to fire dancing? Eg hours per week. Not as often with fire as I used to, maybe once every 1-2 months atm
Why did you begin fire dancing? Always been a bit of a pyro and lacked a decent hobby, and then saw someone spinning fire. Seemed to make sense at the time.
How did you know about it? I saw this guy one time at a party and was sucked in
How many people participate in fire dancing in the organisation you are in? No-one, I only really know a few other spinners personally (all of them hobby based).
How long do people usually 'try' fire dancing for? Dunno I've seen someones eyes light with excitement at seeing firespinning only to give up after a minute or two, and other people completely underwhelmed at first still spinning years later.
Why do you think people stop? Lose interest, learning plateau, greener pastures maybe
Why do you think people don't participate? Some don't know, some don't care I'd imagine
How much does it cost you to keep up fire dancing? e.g weekly or monthly cost. Nout. Now I've got the toys I need. Very occasional Parafin/LEDpoi batteries needed, maybe £20 a year
What are some sporting trends in your area? What sports are popular? All sorts, I hear a lot of people talking about pole-dancing/spinning(different kind I think)/aerobics that type of thing, and the expected ones, football(soccer), rugby, cricket, tennis, ultimate frisbee etc.

Poi(poi~y) n. : A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.
- part owner of Wooktastic™ ©

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Gender?

M

How old are you?

How old were you when you began fire dancing/fire art?

How often do you practice?

Once a week.

How much time do you commit to fire dancing?

Seven hours per week.

Why did you begin fire dancing?

Because of fire.

How did you know about it?

By seeing it.

How long do people usually 'try' fire dancing for?

Multiple by 3.

Why do you think people stop?

They lost.

Shame.

How much does it cost you to keep up fire dancing?

Nothing, but seven hours a week.

PG, Rollers, Ball.

--------------------------------------------

All this answers may or may not describe

the real state of :R property.

I want to know the result too,

:R
EDITED_BY: Richee (1213132721)

POI THEO(R)IST