694 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK3r0xyhTU4

comments (good and bad) welcome smile

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Expression is a really good way to sell that what you're doing is worthwhile... your beginning and speed variation are great things to work on to increase expression... Stalls are an easy place to start with expression. A double downward stall of any kind with a slight pause, accentuated by your body movements really gets you into the feel of expression, as well as being reasonably simple to do.

The music... first time i tried to watch this, I kinda liked the funky beat of the music... then soon I hated it, and turned the video off. I returned again today with the music off...

I guess my main point is... you enjoy it right? Show me how much with the way you move! And I always enjoy it more if i'm doing so. Perhaps you do so more with socks and its just the fire you're having difficulty with performance, I guess I'll have a look for a socks video of you.

Hopefully that was all nice and constructive! Good luck!!

hug

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Thanks for comments. Agreed, i still move like a robot when spinning.

Hopefully as i become more fluid i will start to move around more.

I have never danced/moved around before much and it obviosuly shows in my poi. Maybe a few beach parties will cure this!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Yeah... I'm not too great at fluidity and expression myself, but I'm doing my best at learning it.

The easiest way I find to get myself into it if I can't is picking out a few movements and then moving my hips with it, then starting the whole thing off from a different and more theatrical position... Examples are... for the movement my favourite is starting in reverse butterfly hip reels you move one hand up behind your head as you do it, then alternate... I don't know what its called, but the poi will basically be behind you all the time, I'd be able to describe it better if I had my poi, but I don't... from there you can get your hips and stomach moving in a great and very simple swaying motion that starts from your hips and moves up your body, so hip to the left-body to the right, body to the right-hip to the left kind of arrangement...

and the beginning... like I'll have my right hand reaching behind my left shoulder over the top with my poi dangling there and my left hand stretched out in front, and from there I slowly move them (VERY VERY SLOWLY) around my body before I let the poi drop into a corkscrew action...

Thats the kind of things I've been doing to help my fluidity and expression... spiral wraps are good, too. bringing them down one side and as they spring back out lifting both arms up...

sorry for the rambling, nonsensical post, I hope its of some help.

hug