Forums > Social Discussion > 8 year old spinning with PETROL

Login/Join to Participate

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
How do you know its petrol? umm

(Im listening with sound off in case it is said in the audio)

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
would petrol even burn like that?
i thought it would be a lot more explosive?

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So he has excellent technique and he is a highly trained spinner even if he's 8. He also demonstrated good fire control skills at the end when he extinguished one end of the staff. I would hope that his instructors (parents or whomever) would have taught him what to do if he were to get some burning gas on himself.

I personally prefer to spin with white gas (naptha). It has its pros and its cons, but it's actually pretty forgiving of certain types of errors. It also allows for contact, which kerosene (paraffin) doesn't.

I don't see how this is that much more dangerous than teaching a child this age to be a gymnast or ice skater (he could fall and break his neck), or allowing a child to learn to skateboard or ride a bike.

As long as certain safety precautions are made and the child is properly trained, children are capable of learning certain skills with amazing speed and proficiency, as this young man has demonstrated. I look forward to seeing what he has to show us in 10 years.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Yeah but Doc... c'mon... its petrol

[Apprently... *shifty eyes*]

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Meeko_KiddoSILVER Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Wow that's nuts.... that kid could dance circles (literally) around most people I know that do fire... wow

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

I personally prefer to spin with white gas (naptha). It has its pros and its cons, but it's actually pretty forgiving of certain types of errors. It also allows for contact, which kerosene (paraffin) doesn't.

umm kerosene doesn't allow for contact? I certainly am not correctly understanding what you mean by that... wink

Written by: Doc Cutie

I don't see how this is that much more dangerous than teaching a child this age to be a gymnast or ice skater (he could fall and break his neck), or allowing a child to learn to skateboard or ride a bike.

Certainly I side that statement. Whilst personally I wouldn't spin with petrol due to it's aggressive behavior, I can't object others to do it.

A kid spinning fire knives all his life? shrug Ever had a chance to meet a circus family of artists? Would you object them to teach their kids?

Written by: Doc Cutie

I look forward to seeing what he has to show us in 10 years.

Lets count on the worst and hope for the best.... wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
The Kid is good and thats just a plain fact.

However spinning with petrol is just a bad accident waiting to happen.

I hope that if any of you HoPpers ever meet him that you suggest he use a less volitile fuel.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I've seen petrol burn and it gives off way more smoke and black crap than appears in that Video.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
White gas (basically unleaded petrol with out the additives) is great for transfers, but I would not consider it forgiving in any way. I think it demands the most respect of any fuel we use. The thing that worries me about spinning with petrol is the additives, and any subsequent long-term health problems.

The thing to watch for with juggling/spinning knives is damaging the tip of a finger, which I’m told can result in paralysis.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rellizate

Because my friend lives in Guam, and he knows the guy and it's petrol. smile

Sounds too much like hearsay. There is so much confusion and mix ups about fuel names around the world. Americans (and presumably Guamians who use that kind of English language ) call petrol 'gas' anyway, so could easily think that kero is 'petro;' or whatever.
That fuel certainly burns like a heavier solvent/kero type fuel, similar to what gets sold as labelled firesol/ isopars etc.
And ya, he's fast and stuff, but I wouldn't go overboard on his skills quite yet...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Well I went to america and hawaii and while there, i saw plenty of white gas / colemans fuel type camping fuel sold as 'petroleum' fuel. So it could have easily been mistaken for actual petrol, if you had just read the container.

Plus, the fumes aren't the scarey bit about fire knife. That fact that the knife is heavier than most anybodies staff here, and it's got a big exposed metal hook on it, and it's going almost as fast as you can make it go. Cos the point of fire knife is speed.

Plus they use white gas, so the metal gets plenty hot.

I've seen some awesome scars from that. Not seen any made happily. I mean a big hot hook, it'll impale you and cauterise the wound at the same time... eurhg. Seen plenty of line scars too from the knife's edge, I assume, even thou it's usually overlapped by the particle board.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
yeah - thats probably white "gas" in that case.

smile

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
That doesn't look like petrol to me, I've spun with petrol and the flames are darker and as other people have said have black smoke.

I have to say I like the way he put out the head.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

And ya, he's fast and stuff, but I wouldn't go overboard on his skills quite yet...

Written by: mcp

and it's going almost as fast as you can make it go. Cos the point of fire knife is speed.

Aha that explains it then. I thought he was just doing the usual young/newbie wowlookatmei'mreallyfast ubbloco thing.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rellizate

Ahh yeah that makes sense. All ask him.

Ok, whats his email address? wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the rules of fireknife go something like:

1) SPEED
2) Height of throws.
3) Techniques.
4) Warrior Spirit.

Maybe that's not the exact order... but speed is definately high if not first on the list.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.