Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > The Poi "I just learned a new advanced move / combo" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Notcomelan3 turning,

that has wall plane similar to inversion.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Derek_FaughnDIAMOND Member
DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
I know nick woolsey has a good 4 bt TTN vid.

"Dream as you will live forever, and live as you will die today"
James Dean

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I looked at it before, I still can't figure out exactly what he is doing. Just to give you an idea, I have 0 knowledge about how to do it after all the videos I looked at. As far as I know, it's witchcraft.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I just figured out Ani Spin Flower + Extension

I finally put the motivation into learning it so ya. I like it tongue2

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Well I learnt that there 7 beat weave finally. Jon put me up to the task, and told me if i could do 7 beat, i could isolate 5 beats. So i tried that to. I think i'm doing it right, but its real hard to keep them in isolation. O and I also did this cool hybrid weave fountain. smile Good day for spinning.
EDITED_BY: Derek_Faughn (1261614872)

James Dean

2,280 posts

Posted:
I would like to see what you are talking about when you say hybrid weave fountains, it sounds like something down my alley wink

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitI would like to see what you are talking about when you say hybrid weave fountains, it sounds like something down my alley wink

Well do you know your hybrid weave forwards and reverse?

James Dean

2,280 posts

Posted:
I have no idea what they are.

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
I have some tutorials on them. You might wanna be comfortable with isolations 1st though.
EDITED_BY: Derek_Faughn (1261621806)
EDIT_REASON: Typo

James Dean

2,280 posts

Posted:
Nvm, I just looked it up, I can do that, not good at reverse though. Have no idea how a fountain would work tough.

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Get them down really good in both forward and reverse. (reverse is a little harder to me) As you are turning from forward to reverse really reach your arms down low to keep the poi in isolation and the other in extension, then as you go from reverse to forward reach up high. and continue. Make sense? I'll have to post a tutorial on this later. I'll let you know when i get it up.

James Dean

2,280 posts

Posted:
OK, also I finally figured out the concept of adding beats to thread the needle after some thinking and twisting and failures. But I figured out, and it seems pretty hard to be able to make more than a 4bt, but I'll give it a try for you grin

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
I stink a 4 bt TTNs........Gotta work on those.

James Dean

2,280 posts

Posted:
Sweet! I just now figured out how to do the Butterfloop without ending up with the worst knot in existence! I just have to keep it in a wallplane instead of bringing it to a buzzsaw plane like I've always thought.

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Yup...butterfloops are fun. Hmmmmmmmmm.....You haven't learned iso yet have you?

James Dean

2,280 posts

Posted:
Iso what? Isolations, of course I learned those tongue2 If that's not what you mean than idk what iso means.

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Yeah. Thats what i mean. I'm just tryin to give you ideas of what to learn. What all do you know? Oh BTW Your in spin flowers were awesome in your video. Mine didn't look that good when i had been spinning as long as you have. Props!

James Dean

2,280 posts

Posted:
Thank you very much grin I haven't been able to practice them for a long time before that video and am glad they looked good. I learned my flowers early on while I was still using belts for poi
(owie) I haven't practiced them in a really long time now that I think of it, not in a couple of months O_O Man, I hate the cold weather. I want to work more on my antispin flowers and butterfly flowers. Also, I want to learn to pirouette with my flowers soooo badly, but I can't because it's so ridiculously cold outside. If I learn that, I could probably whirl on circles with my flowers which I think would look pretty cool as I have already learned to to it with reels/extended reels, and pretty much everything I can turn with. And for fun, I might just learn to do it with strait-jacket crossers grin Now that I think about it I could make them kind of like vertical extensions with my arms crossed if I whirl fast enough.

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Yes turning with flowers is awesome!Turning with any poi move is awesome. But learning to turn with flower will benefit you greatly....the timing of flowers while turning has to be pretty dead on, so if you can turn doing flower, flowers with out turning will look better...cause your timing is better. What all do you know?

James Dean

2,280 posts

Posted:
Things that have to do with flowers that I can do would be: in/antispin-sametime/splittime-same direction/butterfly both directions and every combination. And yes, I can move my arms back enough to do same direction, same time (not wallplane) as I am what has been referred to as the Italian Noodle tongue2 and add Wallplane into those too. And hybrids go on there too. I can do everything with flowers that I can think of, except for pirouettes. I want to do them so badly but I just can't get it even for a single beat. I keep switching from anti/inspin to the opposite everytime I turn, or I do that, try to recover and hit myself.

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
I had that problem when i 1st started learning antispin turns. As for in-spin...I think i can help. Spin your poi like as if you were doing angel wings, but in split/same. Spin like that for a long time...as long as you can, and learn good control back there. Once you get comfortable with that rotate your arms and body the same direction the poi are moving to the next postion. (one arm up, one down) Spin there for however long. Then turn to the next postion which would be same as the angel wings position but in front of you rather then behind you. Spin there till you are comfortable with it, and on to the next postion....and so forth and so forth.

Once you have done this and are completely comfortable with spinning in those areas of your body. inspin flower turns shouldnt be a problem.

James Dean

2,280 posts

Posted:
Thank you, that sound like great advice. I'll get to that, I'm not sure how I'll do that second position because of ceiling restrictions though.

RivesGOLD Member
Nothing but circles and smiles...
118 posts

Posted:
ive been working on isolating my five beat weaves with limted, progressive sucess, but i never thought about learning a seven beat weave first, have you had any luck with that approach?

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Yes learning the 7 bt weave is good to know before 5 beat isos. Alien Jon had explained to me that in a 3 bt iso, your hands are actually in 5 beat postion, so to do a 5 beat iso your arms are in kind of a 7 beat position.

James Dean

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Uta crossers in the easy direction. You know what that means? I'm getting more flexible, homes.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
Now let's see you do a 9bt weave, or a 5bt wheelplane btb weave turn. I got these thanks to my "noodlability" And no I am not double jointed, lol, I've been asked that laugh3

AkeluGOLD Member
stranger
11 posts

Posted:
Basic CAP
Butterfloop
Wall plane stall patterns smile

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
You know, try as I might, I just cannot get my poi to actually touch each other for a butterfloop.

AkeluGOLD Member
stranger
11 posts

Posted:
its weird i got it after like 2 minutes but its kinda confusing

thread the needle in reverse, when bringing your right hand backwards, instead of pushing your left hand forwards just kinda leave it there and try aim up the chain (do this really slowly)..

its the same sorta thing as going from 3 beat weave to adding a hyper loop in, when you would do the crossover you instead just leave one chain still and let the other hit it..

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Aha, I see what I'm trying to do now; don't have a butterfloop just yet, but I can at least get them to hit (if you'd told me in august that getting my poi tangled trying a TTN was going to be hard I'd have thought you were daft). The trick isn't stopping one hand from moving forward or back (I can ttn pretty nicely with only one hand moving); it's bringing it back on the same vertical side it went forward on--in this case, the underside of my left arm.

This is one of those moves that's confounded me for a long time because no video I've seen has enough detail for me to tell whether I'm following the instructions properly. And if I get it soon I'll be the only spinner I know in person who can actually do it. So what I'm getting at is I might need to borrow the Lab's high speed camera for a tutorial when I get it.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister ElevenThis is one of those moves that's confounded me for a long time because no video I've seen has enough detail for me to tell whether I'm following the instructions properly. And if I get it soon I'll be the only spinner I know in person who can actually do it. So what I'm getting at is I might need to borrow the Lab's high speed camera for a tutorial when I get it.

Pretty much why I stopped bothering with it, along with not really being very visually appealing the way I spin, so low on the priority list to be honest. I can get something similar, but Dentrassi came through on a visit and said that it was not it.

If you get the move and the high-speed cam, please drop me a link?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Page: ......