Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > The Poi "I just learned a new advanced move / combo" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Notcomelan3 turning,

that has wall plane similar to inversion.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
First learn the 2 and 4 beat antispin crosser fountains, then for 4x4 antispin fountain just do a regular antispin weave fountain and keep the antispin crosser transition at the top.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok, what I learned it as was I enter the 4bt windmill at my side, the bring it to the other side. I slowly got more and more of a circle out of the motion. The one think you should know is that unlike the normal 4x4 fountain, your hands will twist up. And while learning it your planes will be crazy. So yeah, I just learned it from doing a 4bt windmill and moving it in the antispin direction and my hands would twist up, but if you do it good it still has a nice smooth motion.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: leospoiFirst learn the 2 and 4 beat antispin crosser fountains, then for 4x4 antispin fountain just do a regular antispin weave fountain and keep the antispin crosser transition at the top.

I haven't the foggiest what an antispin crosser fountain might look like, two or four beat.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Hm, I will get back to playing with these, then. Thanks for the hints.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Finally getting my antispin turns pretty consistently. Which is pretty much the crowning achievement of my current turning intensive. At this point, if I can do it, I can turn in it.

Also getting the hang of some simple UTL stuff.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
This weird pendulum thing. I start with a regular pendulum but then go turn it into a pendulum in the same area but different direction. Sorry for bad explanation but I can post video if anyone so pleases. But yeah its a cool little thing. I like pendulums.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Sounds worth seeing. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I will post vid when I get home from work then.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
So yeah here the pendulum trick I was talking about earlier.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
Ah yes the 1.5 switchy thing. I saw it a few months ago when browsing random youtube videos. There's also the version wich looks the same but has the hand positions switched.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Variations on this are my primary "safe moves" (I forget who it was that used that term in the video forums). Also try the variation where you do the same high/low swap, but when the poi heads pass by each other in opposite directions. You'll notice when you do that move in the video, the hand doing the full turn is always spinning the same direction it would be if you were doing a reverse butterfly. Doing the high-low swap when they're going the same direction will keep the same "butterfly direction" but switch the actual clockwise/anticlockwise direction of the spinning hand. The variation where you swap as they pass in opposite directions does the opposite; swaps butterfly direction, keeps clock direction. Both put together makes a very powerful transition tool.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Just got the hang of Charlie-style polyrhythm hybrid timing changes. Because of my poi length I can't do quite all of the nifty 3:1 stuff he does, but 2:1 serves my purposes for now. My cat-eyes are starting to look better, too.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Antispin 4x4 fountain and a 3bt y-axis (common axis of the two planes) atomic weave. Booyah!
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1267898442)
EDIT_REASON: wrong axis

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i just found out that i can go from a butterfly meltdown directly to a same direction meltdown without any moves in between with the same movement it just switches i'm not sure exactly how i do it but if anyone is interested i can post a vid

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

2,280 posts

Posted:
Please do smile

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Sounds like it's probably a plane bend. I know when I twirl in butterfly reels I end up in same direction about every fifth turn because I lose the feel of the turn and botch the plane, but don't necessarily notice right away.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
thats the thing i purposely dit i accidentally did it the first time now i can do it easily

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
ok its a short vid but heres the url

2,280 posts

Posted:
That looks more like a stall to me smile

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i did it once then did it again it happens at 0:10

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Looks like a stall to me aswell. Cool none the less.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
huh could be cuz i have no idea what it is really lol

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I think it looks like a stall because of the angle, but stalls are usually visible in the body movements and I don't see him doing anything that sets off my stall detectors. On the other hand, a quick plane bend will appear to stall from the right angle because the poi will hit zero angular momentum briefly in the plane it had been spinning in.

In other words: side-view! tongue2

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Oh, and shotgun spiral wraps. Whee!

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I like to call shotgun spiral wraps arm rolls.

And to make this post worthy I have been trying out turning with different stalls. sometimes plain bent sometimes not.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Getting the hang of some basic throws. Also got reverse butterfly silly walk.

Some day I hope to post here saying I figured out a forward btb weave, or even plane control for the reverse, but this is really being a major stumbling block frown

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Same direction Split time pentagram with the tips of the star facing inward. Picked it up off of Poi Boys new vid. Much fun

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Is this pentagram a line isolation??

hug

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
not quite, more like trying to do float-like movements between the points, easiest to start off with a more curved movement similar to cateyes then straighten them out

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
You sure they arent line isolations? I'd played with line isolations in such patterns before.

A line isolation is an extended cateye movement. They end up looking and feeling a lot like floats rather than cateye movements, looking more or less like them depending on the line travelled.

hug

Page: ......