Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > The Poi "I just learned a new advanced move / combo" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Notcomelan3 turning,

that has wall plane similar to inversion.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I'll second what Darken said, I'm always happy to learn... from anyone really.

I also look forward to your DUO video, sounds nifty.

Practice makes better. (there is no such thing as perfect)

^_^

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Okie dokie, my mind finally understands the Pendulum (spelling?) weave, or what umm, 1.5 beat is it called? *shrug*.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Now try it in butterfly, meshunderlay! Or with the poi heads meeting behind your head!

Or with the other hand on top. (so that the poi heads DON'T meet, but one is still doing a pendulum)

grin

hug

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Behind my head.... hmm...
umm
I've never done a butterfly weave.
eek
Guess I'll start working.
meditate

I start working again in two weeks, so I'd better practice hard until then =).
Though technically, as I'll be tutoring at school for math and english, I conviced the school to post that I'll be doing "Juggling / Poi workshops", so I guess I'll technically be getting paid to practice... at least until March when I transfer to a school further away and change jobs.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Oh, I didnt mean in butterfly weave... I hadnt thought of that, I just meant butterfly...

Like... left poi does a rotation while the right does a pendulum over the top... then the right poi does a rotation while the left does a pendulum over the top... You can do that both underhand and overhand. grin I guess its an antispin butterfly with a pendulum on the top half, in a way.

If you get that, then you can use it to transition to the behind the head one...

Say you're doing it underhand so your left poi is going anti-clockwise and your right is going clockwise. As your right does its pendulummy thing to from left to right, let it reach the end... from there keep the right hand on top and the left on the bottom.

instead of letting it swing back to the left in front of you, let it swing back to the left behind your head!

If you've done that, crackers to you!! (Whatever that means) In order to complete the movement, you'll probably want to bring your left poi into a hip reel position behind you so that the heads meet up behind you.

If you like pendulum, you could also try this.

(This ones a bit sloppy because thats the day I'd started to do it and wanted to see what it looked like.)

Of course basically what I'm saying is "Theres a whole world of pendulum out there for you to discover, play around... see what you find."

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Thank you. smile

This is getting close to a teaching thread, but for myself, to be able to actually learn a move well and play with it, I need to learn it in isolation. Once I can actually do a 5bt weave, for example, without needing to do a three beat or whatever to get into it, I can then throw the move in anywhere that "feels" right. But this might be just the way I work. This needs to move to another thread now though I think.

On-topic:
I have been playing with isolations and hybrids and did a sort of hybrid weave, swopping which poi is isolating. Although, my left handed iso needs a lot of work.

Doubt that this is anything actually advanced, but it took me a while. tongue2

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
A few antispin plane changes.
Other plane changes
Not 1.5, isolating hand to head of poi, switching between spin/pendulum poi head.
Above goes nicely into line hybrids.
Vertical cateye, split time butterfly hybrids
My arms don't bend that way.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
What kind of plane changes, Look This Changes? Utilising stalls or just plane bending? smile

Oh! I got the horizontal cateyes working the other week, too. grin

hug

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Umm.. this stuff.. Can't explain:

(Warning very imo "tech" ahead, no fancy dancing around)

DarkenAvatar of the Dancing Fire
59 posts

Posted:
Argh.

Ive reached a very frustrating point in my studies.

Ive been practicing relentlessly at the 2 new moves in my arsenal..
(fountain and 5bt)

Having had them both down perfectly (ish)

I went to show them off to my poi friends.

Only to fail every time i attempted.

I smacked myself in the dome a few times, f*cked my hands up, etc.

Then when they left, i pulled em off again, though very sloppily.

Ive actually, within a week, taught myself and then unlearned these moves, which i find severely frustrating. frown

Back to the old grind i suppose.

"if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all."

-Golden Rule

"F*ck you. I spin fire."

-Darkens 3rd law

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
5 beat is pretty well useless to learn til later on... if you're wanting to be able to move smoothly, learning the 5 beat is going to further lock you into the movement.

The more complex a movement is, the less you're able to be expressive within that movement, due to the constraints of the technical aspects of performing the movement.

Try learning to keep split time while raising your arms from hip reels to windmill without switching sides until you're actually required to.

I only say this because you made a comment on wanting to attain fluidity earlier... the 5 beat is good for this once you've attained fluidity, otherwise you're just going to end up looking techy without fluidity, a mix of the two is probably what you want to be aiming for... there are many things that are difficult to do, don't look complicated but will help you with your skills in both aspects.

hug

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Speaking of techy over fluidity... umm. well not really, but...

Is it possible to stall out flat umm.. ok hold on....

If you're spinning on the wall plane in a counterclockwise fashoin with your right hand, is it possible to stall to the left, which I'm calling the top?

When I try it, it feels like I'm about to do an antispin flower because it doesn't feel like other stalls.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Like a pendulum stall? If so its one of the first kinds of stalls people tend to do...

If not, I don't get it. grin

hug

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I'm going to say the opposite of that... Say you were in a teeny room right?

You can stall up and down on your left and right. You can stall left and right for the floor, but can you stall right and left on like a.... ceiling plane?

*shrug* It's been a long day, and I bonked my head a few times working on my hand stand. lol.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Oh! I had read it as "Clockwise" not counter clockwise. Yeah, you can do it like that.

You use a slight bit of isolation to get it nice and clean. Its the same as doing a upward vertical stall, but letting it continue on. Its quite a lot easier than it seems.

In doing the isolation, you pretty much want to make your hand follow the poi head in its stalling way, so you move your hand to make the stall clean, rather than just letting it waggle.

I made a vid for stalls ages ago... dunno how relevant it is, but I mention this isolation component if you dont understand from the text.

Oh, I actually do one of what I think you're on about... I referred to it as a "sideward stall" Is that what you meant??
EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1224301784)

hug

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Yea, that's exactly it, I kept trying to do it and ended up either doing like a float or it would just fail. That's what led to asking if it was possible =)

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Theres a reply to that video that might help, also if its just going into a float.

You know that with a stall, you don't have to travel in the opposite direction to the way you entered it? That might help you along your travels in some way of understanding how stalls work in general and thus how the horizontal stall works.

Its mostly about that isolation bit, though. Its just the same as the vertical stall with an extra quarter turn of isolation before you get to the tug to take off the momentum.

hug

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
meshunderlay...yes.

If you watch G's video, he does this a couple of times just after the two minute mark.

flaming_daisySILVER Member
commander of coffee
31 posts

Posted:
Yar!!

conquered!!

anti clockwise horizontal airwrap, change the angle of spin to vertical, keep poi spinning anti clockwise, and stall both of the poi on top of each other on your left hand...

Did you know if a pigeon doesn't bob its head when it is walking, it will fall over...

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Nice.

Never really gotten the hang of those sort of moves.

59 posts

Posted:
Well, after a ton of work, i can now 3bt both forwards and backwards behind my back.

Im trying to figure out the turnover behind my back now. I assume its possible.

Any advice? I havent broken any ground on the subject. "/

-Golden Rule

"F*ck you. I spin fire."

-Darkens 3rd law

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Well... I think that btb weave comes under beginner these days, but I dunno...

Anyway, in answer to your question, the btb turn works the same way as it does in front of you... to do it, break it down, try it in front of you, just doing the fwd 3 beat, then move to one side and do a takeout, continue doing this, (So you'll end up with poi in a front wall plane spinning same direction split time) from there, shift your hips to face the way you originally werent and then you'll be doing the reverse.

Break down the btb in the same way. Make sure to start with the one you're worse at and move into the one you're better at. (for most people rev is easier, so start with fwd)

Good luck.

hug

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Nick Woosley has a pretty good tut on this if I remember correctly. But yeah, the turn is pretty much the same, you just have more limited arm freedom.

59 posts

Posted:
If btb stuff is beginner, i suck more than id initially thought.

Youll tire of hearing about my fountain, but ive perfected it.
No sloppiness, well executed, w00t.

Im almost done with work on the turnover btb, and now i can reverse the Galaxy (a feat i thought undoable thanks to my unyielding clumsiness)

Im left to wonder now what to pursue next.

Any advice on what visually stunning/ridiculously complicated move i should dedicate my time to?

Realistically please... im no master yet.

-Golden Rule

"F*ck you. I spin fire."

-Darkens 3rd law

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Get out there and watch some videos, Darken... then just replicate the stuff you like. As long as you've got the pre-requisite movements nothing is out of reach. Its just about practice. My girlfriend was an absolute beginner, but knew some advanced concepts... just because thats what I started her off on.

hug

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Galaxy?

Flowers are beneficial and there are a lot of variations, should keep you busy for a while.

flaming_daisySILVER Member
commander of coffee
31 posts

Posted:
brain = fried

forwards, behind the back weave, with isolations..

also, turning 360 degrees, changing the spin from forwards to backwards, behind the back, then doing the change in direction over the top of your head kind of body rolly thing...

Did you know if a pigeon doesn't bob its head when it is walking, it will fall over...

59 posts

Posted:
I can galaxy both ways, and btb3bt back and forward.

Flowers are unyieldingly difficult for me, since the majority of my poi is done with glowsticks. They dont offer a ton of weight, so i often lose them in the spins.

I watch the videos, but i lack the ability to reproduce the moves.

GOD theyre gorgeous though. If i didnt need my left arm to poi, id give it to learn the flower.

-Golden Rule

"F*ck you. I spin fire."

-Darkens 3rd law

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Get heavier poi then, Darken! I use 3/4 a cup of rice in a balloon stuffed into a sock! grin They're annoying to begin with, but they stretch out so they're not bouncy anymore.

I believe aston asked this question subtly and I'd like to know also...

What the hell is a galaxy(In poi that is)?

hug

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
I would like to know, yes.

MNS: I probably use about the same amount of pearl barley. I find it less pointy than rice.

Been playing around with various different sized circles in wallplane. Nothing too hard, but it can look fugly if done wrong. Is a bit hard to explain, will try and get something better soon.

Page: ......