Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I was going to use the word "Jedi" but I have mixed feelings about it.

And every time I think about this I think back years ago to Drew amazing and confusing an EJC workshop by doing a really crappy isolated buzzsaw. That was back when Jedi meant something. smile

So, what's new these days? What's cutting edge poi? What are the cool kids working on? Who's pushing the envelope? Are flowers still in? Are inversions the new isolations? What's ubergeektacular?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Hey rob, by 'poi - the game' are you talking about the game we played at 2uberOz, some really cool things came out of that.

Anyhoo, new stuff, erm... There's a very cool inswing thing i play with these days. It starts out as a 3 beat weave with 2 inswings, then you relax the planes and it sits mid way between every move. It's atomic, but also box planes cos the atomic planes both change, it's butterfly from 1 side and weave from 90 degrees, Starts out split time but feels more like in-time, it's weird.

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheWibbler

Hey rob, by 'poi - the game' are you talking about the game we played at 2uberOz, some really cool things came out of that.

Anyhoo, new stuff, erm... There's a very cool inswing thing i play with these days. It starts out as a 3 beat weave with 2 inswings, then you relax the planes and it sits mid way between every move. It's atomic, but also box planes cos the atomic planes both change, it's butterfly from 1 side and weave from 90 degrees, Starts out split time but feels more like in-time, it's weird.

m

Are you saying you are working with a 3-beat weave w/ introversions as a base... and letting it plane bend so that it's got an atomic~esque perpendicular relationship, but is bending ala box planes (maybe feels a lil more like the middle road between box and trinity). If so I've been playing with this as a base for all sorts of fun planebending/ "3d lobe" transitions. So have Basil, Insignia, and some other US east coasters... and Noel-ski and Aidon on the west coast I think. There is discussion of it in the techpoi tribe on tribe.net and some related cross-posting on DMP.

To try to package it up nicely into "classical" poi modes (yeah right):

The same direction dimensional component (ie weave/chase) feels split-time. The opposite direction dimensional component (ie butterfly) feels in-time... Although I think it is really more accurately seated in the combination of the plane bending with the inswings happening simultaneously from top and bottom. This somehow converts part of it to in-time.

Baz, Insignia, and I have definitely discussed this movement being the center of the "map of poi configuration space", where you can move to just about anything else in "classical" poi.

There is another closely related movement that I've been playing with where each poi planebends through all 3 axes in the equivalent of 2 beats/a figure-eight. Quite a bit like the "atomized introversion" mentioned above, but the same side inswing goes horizontal as the whole pattern does the cross-over to the other side plane. That horizontal bend allows for partial outward wall plane spin on the cross over back.

If this is what your are playing with Matt, then there is an army of 100 monkeys that has recently begun bending poi in a more non-euclidean way. ubbloco

-Alien Jon

+Alien Jon

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
3d Spirals (Positional)

Making patterns with spirals that are not only seen from the front of the viewers, but from the side. The effect is a cone shape or triangle??? that goes out and in with the spiral.

Some food for thought:
3d Spirals (Positional and plane?)
And what about anti-spin spirals = crazy patterns?

Play!

Thee_ProphetGOLD Member
Poi Enthusiast
14 posts

Posted:
Any one play around with spinning straight jackets>?

POI 4 EVR

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
i find the concept of zero to be looking a little to deeply into stalling. if one poi is stalled, you cannot complete a full cycle without moving the stalled poi in some sort of a circle or stalling the other. the stalled poi can spin in a horizontal circle between the one spinning vertically and it gives the illusion of staying stalled. but there is still a circle in one obscure for or another. poi is dynamic. even a stalled poi doesn't become completely static if it's still involved with the other poi.

anyways, I do stalls like it's a bad habit and I've played alot with all of this, people get entrigued.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Was just messing around, and what looks pretty cool is a half-butterfly (only one hand spinning) and the other stalling over and under your arm that is spinning. Old, but it looks cool.

Alternating continuously gets a really cool effect.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
 Written by: aston

Was just messing around, and what looks pretty cool is a half-butterfly (only one hand spinning) and the other stalling over and under your arm that is spinning. Old, but it looks cool.

Alternating continuously gets a really cool effect.

Occasionally I like to do a variation on this: Hold the hand that will continue spinning poi higher up. Do a vertical stall up next to the high circle. Move your hand across to the other side linearly, so that you get about half a circle synced up in split-time same direction with the continually spinning poi. the linear movement of the hand ends when you stall vertically on the other side, and drop back down into a vertically seperated butterfly.

You can repeat this over and over, or do something like horizontal linear isolations to switch which poi is in the hight position... and then do the stall combo on the with the other hand.

-Alien Jon

+Alien Jon

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Hmmm.... Sounds cool. Will have to pass on the isolations though, still not gotten them down.

Will give the rest a whirl though.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
AlienJon:

Wow was ages ago i posted here last, but yeah, sounds like we're all playing with the same things.

That move kinda feels like everything rolled into one. You can certainly use it to transition from anything to anything else.

It's nice playing with the horizonal bits too.

Had the greatest compliment the other day, i was spinning that style and someone said it looked like i was spinning totally randomly, and i was. But not so randomly that the poi hit me or stopped moving. Feels great.

Looking forward to getting back to europe and getting inspired to spin some more.

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

jaikonewbie
19 posts

Posted:
 Written by :blackfox653

Any one play around with spinning straight jackets>?

love'm have been playing with these alot lately. all the different entries and exits, split and same time, split and same direction. just starting to work on btb how ru going do you have any ideas

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
btb straightjacket, is that possible? Are you doublejointed? :P

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
surely you can cross your arms behind your back?

I can and I not double jointed, just a shame that I've never quite got my head around straightjackets. I might have to practice them a bit more and see if I can get it to sit right in my head.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
Ahhh you mean a ordinary crossover BTB, yes thats fyllu possible, that`s not any problems at all, but a straightjacket is something different.
Put yourè right under arm on the left under arm and then put the left hand in the right armpit, above the left underarm, not below. Thats a straightjacket....

BTB is not easy biggrin

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

klafkaGOLD Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
Jon btw on that if on the downward you do a full isolation you can continue that "line" moment from across to downward (of course it is no longer a pendulum at that point) but then you can go back into one afterwards biggrin

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Me and a friend had a practice spin just some days ago and i told him about 3d spirals and then we came up with the idea of holding your hand out and spin the poi horisontally and wrapping it, bringing it up/down with the point where it's closest to the hand in the middle.

This gives the visual pattern of a an houerglass. ( or should be when done right )

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Thomas

We are talking about the same thing.
Not arms crossed (X) BTB.
But arms folded BTB.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

kappyGOLD Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I have seen the glory of a btb SJ! It does exist... I am just not sure why or how wink

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
is that something easily visible to the naked eye? Or does it exist more in the realm of fire photography? I imagine that it would have to be a rather quick series of movements.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Interrupted spiral wraps ( Tab back spirals? ):

You spiral them in towards your hand and on the next closest or closest circle to being completely wrapped you put your thumbs over the chain. This will give you a point to tab back into with both your poi. You can keep doing this or just tab back so that your thumbs are free, release thumbs and let the spiral wrap finish like normal =)

Further ideas is to combine with 3d spirals to make awesome patterns.

Page: