Forums > Social Discussion > What does it mean to be grown up or act an age?

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Now that is it summer here festie season is in full swing and I am in the thick of it with my body art booth.

I hear all the time "Oh, that's for kids and I'm too grown up for that."
When a kid throws a tantrum "Act your age!"
And my favorite, told to a very responsible adult that I know "Grow up!"

I'm sitting here chilling, listening to tv working on new designs and they keep saying "This isn't good for your age."

And this has gotten me thinking, what does it mean to act an age? From when I was a teacher I can tell you there is very little standard for any age.

What does growing up mean? Being responsible? Mature? Not liking "childish" things anymore?

I am very responsible and mature when I need to be, but I love to play. I wouldn't do what I do if I didn't.

I don't know why this has hit me so suddenly but it's very confusing.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I'm not entirely sure, but the first thing that springs to mind is taking responsibility for ones own actions. I think that's an indication of being "grown up"

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
When you look at all the stupid things that adults do... affairs, wars, crime, etc, I don't think there are many people at all who are actually "grown up", whatever that means.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I think a sense of reality might also be a factor. I think that a lot of the time someone does something "childish" is because they've done it without realising the situation around them.

I'm just trying to think that in the sense of a 21st birthday I went to last week which I would not hesitate to describe as "childish". The reality and the situation is that 20-somethings (so the guests) don't like to play musical chairs and it's childish for the birthday girl to play it.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Who classifies "mature"?

Written by: dictionary

ma·ture, Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[muh-toor, -tyoor, -choor, -chur] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation adjective, -tur·er, -tur·est, verb, -tured, -tur·ing.
–adjective
1. complete in natural growth or development, as plant and animal forms: a mature rose bush.
2. ripe, as fruit, or fully aged, as cheese or wine.
3. fully developed in body or mind, as a person: a mature woman.
4. pertaining to or characteristic of full development: a mature appearance; fruit with a mature softness.
5. completed, perfected, or elaborated in full by the mind: mature plans.
6. (of an industry, technology, market, etc.) no longer developing or expanding; having little or no potential for further growth or expansion; exhausted or saturated.
7. intended for or restricted to adults, esp. by reason of explicit sexual content or the inclusion of violence or obscene language: mature movies.
8. composed of adults, considered as being less susceptible than minors to explicit sexual content, violence, or obscene language, as of a film or stage performance: for mature audiences only.
9. Finance. having reached the limit of its time; having become payable or due: a mature bond.
10. Medicine/Medical.
a. having attained definitive form or function, as by maturation of an epithelium from a basal layer.
b. having attained the end stage of a normal or abnormal biological process: a mature boil.
11. Geology. (of a landscape) exhibiting the stage of maximum topographical diversity, as in the cycle of erosion of a land surface.
–verb (used with object)
12. to make mature; ripen, as fruit or cheese.
13. to bring to full development: His hard experiences in the city matured him.
14. to complete or perfect.
–verb (used without object)
15. to become mature; ripen, as fruit or cheese.
16. to come to full development: Our plans have not yet matured.
17. Finance. to become due, as a note.

"Fully developed in body and mind"... If this is the definition, I guess not many people actually do "mature".
Problem is that most grow old, but not up - which is why we have wars and such. And who can measure "full development" of the mind?

I will go get some breakfast (mature), then shave (mature) pack my stuff (mature) and go to the park (intermediate) to play with toys (childish) and make some jokes with friends (childish), then meet with others under tha bridge and play fire (childish). And thereafter might go out dancing (intermediate).

If maturing means that I can't play anymore and be a fool - then keep it wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

organic_poiSILVER Member
32 posts

Posted:
When I think of acting your age-I guess you could relate it to studies of growth through Piaget. There are different stages of development everyone goes through where they can make different decisions depending on how they see and understand things.

When it comes to enjoying things like body art-poi-toys etc... I think that has nothing to do with ones maturity. I know I do not dress like a 28 year old should, but I happen to like bright handmade clothes with appliques and patchwork, big belled pants, retro cartoons etc... Someone has to fight back the system and show that conformity is not always necessary.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I think it's mostly worry about what people might think if you act according to your intuitions rather than to what they expect.

It would be different for a child, in that it would appeal to a child to appear more grown-up, and it's tempting them into "behaving" by giving them recognition.

But from a grown-up to a grown-up to me it seems mostly like criticism of not conforming with expectations. Possibly embarrassment, to be seen with another grown-up friend doing "childish" things.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm 30 tomorrow.

I'm also a pediatrician, a responsible, law-abiding citizen, I pay my taxes, vote, and do my part to keep society running.

I reserve the right to tickle kids senseless, pull their hats down over their faces, make funny faces at them, and hand out Sponge Bob, Dora, and Spider Man stickers.

You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever. That's my motto! biggrin

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Thats.... an almost scary motto for a Doctor to have. Better that my doctor though, who has no sense of humour - even though he's very efficient, and is no doubt a contributing member to society.

Freud also has a few stages of development, but I don't like his theories - the assume that no development occurs in the 'tween' years. I don't have another theory off the top of my head, but I think that realising you can't always do what you want - sometimes, you have to do what you don't want - is a major step to adulthood.

Kupo!

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

I'm 30 tomorrow.

I'm also a pediatrician, a responsible, law-abiding citizen, I pay my taxes, vote, and do my part to keep society running.

I reserve the right to tickle kids senseless, pull their hats down over their faces, make funny faces at them, and hand out Sponge Bob, Dora, and Spider Man stickers.

You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever. That's my motto! biggrin

Your also very attractive and suspiciously single *shifty look* >_>

Back to pele...what a wonderfull thread, I tend to avoid social chat because its full of topics which are far too heavy, or transparent "Its all about ME!" threads disguised as meaningfull topics...

Being grown up is considering other peoples feelings and acknoladging there exsistance, going back to mike, he feels it appropriate to give the children in his ward stickers and tickle them and make them smile when they feel low Thats not immature, its simply being considerate to a younger persons feelings, and emotional state. Mike I beleive is very grown up (going from his threads anyway!) ubblove

Being mature though Ide like to add, is not spitting in the streets for one thing. Its vile and shows a complete lack of respect for yourself, other people, and your surroundings. It makes my blood boil when I see it on a daily basis.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I think everyone should go through one of their days and note down how how many times they did "mature" and "Immature" things.

Then if the "Mature" part is more than 50-60%...

YOU'RE FAR TOO BORING!!!! biggrin

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I've only used the term "Oh, grow up" when someone is being irrationally petty. :0 And so thats what I've always thought it meant when someone tells you to "grow up."

As for acting maturely... well... its much less fun than acting immaturely. biggrin

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Personally, I'm exhibiting the stage of maximum topological diversity (Thanks Firetom, I'm going to use that).

From my observations "act your age..." is synonymous with "you're doing something to embarress me, stop it"

The whole world needs to embrace their inner child now and again, paint your face blue, roll around in the mud, climb a tree, do whatever it takes to feel totally without care because it's a feeling we lose as we get older, and sod the bystanders just once in a while. Remember that ad that ran "act your shoe size, not your age"? Too right.

And once we've done that we can get on with paying off the mortgage.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
to me, being grown up or acting my age, is about being responsible. To take responsibility for my own actions, not to blame other people or other things.

To know that I look after myself now, no one else.

To not act like a whining baby, or to throw a tantrum if i don't have things how I'd like.

To just "let things go", not to hold onto emotions or thoughts if they're not helpful.

I know some 6 year olds who act very grown up, I also know 60 year olds who are big kids! biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.