Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, I'm going to go ahead and stick my neck out here. There's a lot that's happened in my life these last several weeks and I'd like to talk about it briefly since I think it's time to be honest with this board.

A little over a month ago, a friend of mine and I were having dinner together and I said to her, "So...I think I might be gay." And that's how it started.

These last few weeks have been spent coming to terms with this truth about myself that I have so carefully suppressed for the last 25 years. I've lied to people (told them I was straight, lying through my teeth in the process), lied to myself, broken hearts, and caused too much mayhem. I decided that it was time to stop the insanity, it was time to stop having deep, dark secrets and being terrified of being discovered.

So, hi, everyone. My name is Mike. I'm the same Mike you've known since I first showed up here.

And I'm gay.

Anyone surprised?

Today was a major milestone: I came out to my parents and they took it reasonably well! So, for the first time in my life, I feel like a whole person, like I have a sense of my place in the universe, who and what I am, and where I'm going. No more secrets, no more lies, no more charades. I live in a really Queer-friendly town, my friends have all been supportive (or at least indifferent), and my profession is completely indifferent to what I do in my off hours.

Now, I'm not going to suddenly go loopy and start wearing Abercrombie&Fitch everywhere and getting my hair done at professional hairdressers and maincures and all that stuff. I'm still the grungy, slightly hippie candy raver that I always have been. I'm just very much at peace with myself now.

I know this isn't going to go over well with everyone on the board. Some people here think that it's a sin to be what I am. To them, I challenge them to ask if G-d made me just to condemn me to hell, given all the good I have to offer to the world, the lives I'll save, the people I'll help, and the discoveries I'll make. Can you honestly believe in such a cruel and malevolent god? I can't.

For the rest of you, I'm willing to discuss this. For starters, I'm curious as to the paucity of Queer spinners. Anyone else noticed that?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
yay for you Mike that's excellent, you are a true inspiration

-Ba^eX-member
254 posts

Posted:
well even though i dont know im proud of you...no matter who we are we shouldnt hide it

I cant even begin to imagine the unbearable weight that has just been lifted from your shoulders...

Have a drink on me :-D

If life was a ball of fire...i would be the poi sustaining it

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
good one Mike

This doesnt change my attitude to you one bit.

Josh

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
much admiration and much respect for your strength.

I kinda wish we lived in a world where there was no need for you to make the announcement, where you could be out and proud without even needing to think about it. One day...

In the world of the here and now, it is a big deal. And it is a time for you to celebrate, cos it is a big personal break through for you. So

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Daiquetmember
29 posts

Posted:
Congratulations - now that you are out of that closet you can fit even more clothing in

But im a girly swot

Love Daiquet

whoops

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Mike, it must have taken alot of courage to face and accept what you have just done.. I say well done and that the Children of the Earth, Sun and Moon should be able to live as one.. bless you Mike as you journey thru the origens of love..

(Yeah I've been watching Headwig and the Angry Inch again )

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Girls are always complaining how all the good men are gay or in relationships - another man off the market

Mike you have had and will continue to have my warm respect. Congratulations on accepting what you are and thank you for sharing with us all.

The biggest sin you can commit would be to lie to yourself. I'm sure the positive response to your sharing will far outweigh any negative comments you may get.

Big hugs

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:

much respect to you dude.

oh go on then...why not..

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:

It doesn't suprise me at all. Recently i've had a couple of friend confess their different sexuality. Seems the world is more accepting now.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
massive respect mike this can't have been an easy last month!

but you should have known this would make no odds to your friends on this board

now sit down, have one of these and tell me what the hell 'paucity' means.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Lightening: Congratulations, that must have been a huge thing for you to go through. I hope it brings you a lot of happiness

Kat : Its true what you say about the best guys turning out to be gay wonder why that is? Never quite figured it out myself depends how you define "best" maybe. In fact I have a good friend who came out and he is great, he has the biggest heart in him, and i don't judge him by his sexuality, he is just he.

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
rarety cole look it up in synonyms

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Wicked.

Cool Looks like you might be a bit happier and more chilled with yourself now.
Excellent.

Drew

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Good for you Mike, I'm sure this must have been a difficult thing for you to get you're head around.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Mima - Two wonderful male friends of mine are gay and I have some bisexual male and female friends. The only difference between before they came out and now is that they wear tighter tee's and talk dirtier But hey, what else are best girlfriends for, but a good ole gossip.

My single girlfriends are always giving out that all the 'good guyss' are gay! I think they are referring to a general mix of good looks, style, and good conversation.

Think Dr. Mike falls into the 'good guy' category.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Very cool that you've found your peace with yourself. Like Kat says, when you're fighting to keep something inside yourself, lying to yourself, you do the most damage.

And she's also right that all the best looking and nicest guys are gay. Sorry luv, it means you're stuck with us lazy, messy layabouts

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Fair play to you Mike, as everyone has said it doesn't change a thing and you're still a really sound intelligent bloke.

What you said about God is very true as well IMO, I don't think that you would be 'condemned' and that goes for all the other people in the World who don't necessarily conform to secular practices but who display the kind of humanity that it takes to make the World a better place.

I hope you find someone nice bud, all the best.

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Thanks to all of you for being supportive. You may think it's nothing, but it means the world to me. Big to all of you and a big to UCOF .

Now, Mima/Smallgirl, no fair complaining that all the good men are gay. You got Smallboy, who happens to be a great guy.

It's funny, though. Once I came out, suddenly girls were coming out of the woodwork at me. I think it's because I'm "safe." I think everyone needs a gay friend. Girls need gay friends so that they can have someone to take them home from the bar when they're really drunk who they positively know isn't going to take advantage of them. Guys just need fashion help. (I'm kidding. I'm not one of those gay guys. I'm still the trashy looking scrub I always was. I do clean up well, though. )

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Mike,
That post must have been difficult to make, and I applaud your courage!

As far as I'm concerned nothing has changed. You're still the same wicked guy that painted his veins in UV pen when we went out

Big respect to you!
MWAH

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I'll agree with Kat.. all the good guys are either gay, attached or dealing with a savage break ups.. what happened to all the single 25 plus guys? I think I missed the boat..

I reckon this year is gonna be a good one for you Mike.. just looka the support you've been getting..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
Good for you if it's helped you to write it in black and white and publish it for many of your (virtual or non) friends to see.

But to be honest I couldn't give a **** who you sleep with/lust after. That sort of thing's only our business if you want it to be.

Do you get me?

But thanks for sharing

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
Yay Mike.

Hope you find you are more at peace with the world and yourself.

As for God, God LOVES fags. Otherwise why would she have made them that way.

Magnus... pay it forward

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
I agree Magnus!

Sorry Lightning+++ I realise that my previous post in this topic might seem dismissive and uncaring.

I mean, right on bro for coming out; respect is due

But just to clarify I meant that a person's sexuality is about number 865432135 down the list of things I judge people on, a long way down from whether they prefer marmite or vegemite

Peace love and empathy

Sunbeam

sunny

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
tut tut tut sunbeam, you just committed the biggest ever sin...

you forgot nutella

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Nice one Mike,

BUT WHAT DOES PAUCITY MEAN?

Nix?

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
Sorry!

FYI I didn't forget it there were just too many things on the list to go into - the whole "to nutella or not to nutella" is about number 586 (not sure I'll have to check the list again)

Oops no it's number 531 I can't say what number 532-586 are - there are kids that read and post on this board.

sunny

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
nix? - apparently it means rarety or 'smallness of quantity or supply' ?

these doctors and their clever words eh?

mike's right though - there aren't many gay spinners of either sex that i know of out there...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
I'm 25+, but I must be a real pill, 'cause I'm not married or gay...

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Nice one, it's always best when you can be yourself both internally and externally

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Page: