Forums > Help! > Mail order juggling balls to Australia.. customs?

Login/Join to Participate

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Thinking of picking up som juggling balls from www.dube.com, but not sure whether the seed will be a problem with customs. Anyone with previous experiences? Thanks in advance!

daisylouBRONZE Member
la di da di da
147 posts

Posted:
someone told me the other day that no seed from outside oz can get into oz. i know a friend of mine had his juggling balls taken off him when he was going to oz.

just a crazee daisy living in a crazy world

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
When I was in NZ a lot of people reported having juggling balls taken by customs because of seeds. Might be safer to order from within Oz, eg from Juggleart or someone.

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
My juggling club at uni only orders juggling balls from within australia as nothing that either contains seeds, or even *may* contain seeds will be allowed into the country.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
They shouldnt be allowed in, which doesnt mean they wont get through. Some friends travelling had their balls opened and checked.

Other poi with seed have come through from Scotland and through lots of custom before I had fits here and microwaved them to death.

My veiw is dont order seed balls Ry. We are isolated and so avoid many agricultural disease. Mostly through luck though I think.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Ry,

Which balls were you thinking of getting?

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the input everyone. smile

I was actually thinking of getting the 125g peach beanbags, if not the 130g squosh ones. I've seen what juggleart has, and they don't look very appealing.

I've heard from a friend that he's managed to get dube juggling balls sent, but I think this is more an exception than the norm.

Apparently, the balls are "Round, precisely sewn and tightly filled with birdseed treated against dust and pests (non-toxic)."

Sounds good to me, but don't know how it'll sit with customs..

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
From aussie customs

Cant be imported

seeds including vegetable and flower seeds, unidentified seeds, birdseed and some commercially-packaged seeds*
gifts, ornaments and toys filled with seeds
pine cones
raw nuts
grains and legumes including lentils, popping corn and cereal grains
raw/green coffee beans

But then says they may be inspected and treated if needed..

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
customs like to charge stupid amounts to treat things that dont even need tobe treated. i wouldn't trust them to treat anything sensibly and still let you have them.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
You could always try speaking to them and asking if they'll send empty balls that you can fill yourself.

I know Charles had problems getting a few companies to do that though.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
If you fill them yourself, you might as well sew them yourself

Don't get off about German used, the patterns are unicode wink otherwise google for "juggling balls sewing patterns"

Less hustle, less time and energy wasted to govt officials...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ry - Look into Chrome DX's - they're a sort of mix of bean-balls and stage balls (so they don't roll that far when you drop them, but are firm to use like stage balls) but they're filled with rubbers chippings not seed smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude