Page:
faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
hardly when i edited to say that i lost my temper

after you calling me on it, i decided it was inappropriate

and i did say why i posted it more than a few times, sorry i didn't realize you needed me to say it three times or more

*swallows another smart a** remark*

i still want to know where i said i made this story up

EDITED_BY: faithinfire (1172943767)

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I was confused since you said it was "a story." I'm generally confused by most of what you write due to the lack of punctuation and grammar. That's not meant to insult you, it's meant to justify my confusion.

Perhaps if you'd have put some initial context or attributed the story to it's rightful owner I would have been less confused in the beginning. I did initially ask if it was something that happened to you. I asked clarifying questions, gave you a chance to explain yourself, reserved judgment, and indicated that I was confused. You responded by cursing at me.

I now understand the context since you've explained it several times. If you'd have put that context in your INITIAL post, I think we'd all have been less confused.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

3,556 posts

Posted:
yeah you asked if it was something that happened to me last week, the inference being you trying to make a joke out of it,
also calling it a racist urban legend as i said minimizes it
and because of comments like that, it hardly seemed that you reserved judgement
i considered my post and decided it was unkind, please consider how yours might be taken as well
this is something i take personally, having been a victim of violence
hey, lurch, maybe that could be another one-domestic violence

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think we should let others continue with this interesting topic without further conversation.

This has certainly gotten to the pattern that "if we'd like to continue this conversation we should take it off list."

[Please don't PM me as I've really got no desire to continue this! wink]

hug and move on.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Domestic violence would be a difficult one to tackle. If it were just simply domestic violence, ie anyone attacked by a significant other, the logistics of it would just be insane, estimates jump from 900,000+ a year to over 3 million in the US. Deaths by domestic violence would be slightly easier since they sit roughly around 2,000 I believe. But then do I only do one year? It would be impossible to do *every* year. I could make a series but that would be rather morbid. Where would I get the information? Would people *want* to see their relatives name on it?

I have thought about possibly doing another series for the Korean war, desert storm I and the Iraq war, possibly 9/11 and even contemplated WWII But even that is insane in the pure numbers, 16 million US troops, nearly 300,000 deaths, and over 600,000 wounded. There also isn't any electronic database, only "books" printed shortly after the war seperated by state. I could acquire scans of these books, and re-enter all the data myself, by hand, but that would be an extreme undertaking..

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

3,556 posts

Posted:
hmmm maybe one involving current iraq war deaths, there probably is a database someplace
you could try the domabuse murders, would you use names or images?

Faith

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Well when would you draw the line for Iraq war deaths, from 'invasion' to mission accomplished? Or would you say to present, in which case what would be done when more deaths roll in? I could easily get a database of all Iraq deaths up to this point, minus the 700+ 'contractors' overseas right now.

For domestic abuse, as sad as it is to say, it's too big. If I were to pick one year, why that year? I couldn't possibly keep up with it every year. Names would be best, although images would be more powerful. If you really wanted shock creating an image from crimescene photos would sure do it. But is that really appropriate? or even respectful. It would get across the point of the horrors that go on daily even in our own backyards, but at what cost?.. Not to mention how on earth would I obtain all those photos...

It's far easier, and more stable to stick to concrete things, or time periods. Wars that are over, 9/11, etc, I wouldn't want to have to constantly be updating it. If you guys come up with something that stricks a chord with me enough I'd be perfectly happy to design something out of the concept.

Note: The one piece that I've been extremely tempted/interested in doing as an annual series would be memorials for Police officers killed in the line of duty for the entire US.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
They are campaigning in Italy right now about Dom abuse against women.

Some of the adverts are quite powerful.

Page: