Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival 2007 25th - 29th July 2007

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone and welcome to PLAY FESTIVAL 2007!!

Please forgive me for the lack of info, I have no computer to use and it'll be a few weeks more until I'm able to update it more often. I'll come back and put more up as and when I can.

Hopefully most of this info you'll have gotten from our newsletter, if not sign up to it on the website now! www.playfestival.co.uk

We had a wonderful 5 days last year and can only say that 2007 will be even better!

Thanks to everyone who came last year and who gave us feedback on what they thought of the festival, we've taken all comments on board and hope we can make the festival one that you'll enjoy even more than the last.

The dates for this years festival will be Wednesday 25th - Sunday 29th July and we will be at the same venue, Fordhall Farm in Market Drayton, Shropshire. The tickets will be £35 in advance and £40 on the door, that will include most workshops, 4 nights camping, the shows and other entertainments during the festival

We have lots planned for this years festival, more areas to play in with the emphasis on getting everyone involved, we will have a proper go at the world record after last years attempt didn't go so well (although it does look awesome on video!!!) and of course the usual abundance of workshops to keep you all busy in the day.

We'll have two stages this year, the main stage/tent and and nice little caberet tent, a solar powered cinema, a PROPER bar & food tent and a few more folks selling the stuff you want to buy (even if you don't realise it yet! heheh)

New for this year will be the PLAY HOP Amateur Performance of the year. It's a little competition we've come up with that can be entered by anyone for any type of performance. No more than 4 minutes long with a cash prize for the winner and the chance to feature on the next PLAY DVD. As you might guess from the title the event is sponsored by HomeofPoi.com (who have proudly given us the prizes for our games over the last two years). More details will follow soon...

The DVD of last years festival will be out at some point, probably exactly at the time we plan it to come out wink Focusing more on spreading knowledge to learn the arts than the last DVD and we're sure it'll knock your socks off!

If you want to contact us about anything please email us at one of the following addresses:

info@playfestival.co.uk

comments@playfestival.co.uk

volunteers@playfestival.co.uk

traders@playfestival.co.uk

If anyone wants specific footage from last years festival please wait until after the DVD is out, Strugz & co are busy enough editing the full thing to start making cuts for people! Thanks smile

As my internet access is sporadic at best till my pc is up and running, I might not be able to reply to email straight away, if you want to talk to me about anything call me on 07814 018091 and if you don't get an answer LEAVE A VOICEMAIL!

Keep checking the website for the latest information and we'll send out newsletters as often as we can.

hugs & smiles

Dunc hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Meenik

Also, anybody going to the Big Green Gathering after Play? I don't have much lined up for the week-following-play week. Suggestions appreciated smile

Yep! we are biggrin

We'd welcome the company.

Gayle.....!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gayle......!

Also, anybody going to the Big Green Gathering after Play? I don't have much lined up for the week-following-play week. Suggestions appreciated smile

Yep! we are biggrin

We'd welcome the company.

thats not what you said to me wink

Step (el-nombrie)

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
spank behave!

Gayle.....!

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
OMG! Nick at PLAY! bouncebounce2bouncebounce2

gonna be awesome, cant wait ubbrollsmile

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Good news indeed biggrin

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:

Nick - some of us are going to EJC after Play... it's in Athens this year! wink

Will be great seeing you again ubblove

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TastesLikePurple

lol, don't misread me! i'm not disputing he's a hero - cause he is. A mighty fine hero of the people infact! but he's not a SUPERhero cause Super implies that there is some sort of superhuman element to the hero that a normal human could never attain. ... although i have to add that depsite being a hero of the people, the camp 70's tv shows kinda destroyed any credibilty Batman had... sorry

offtopic

the super element is his damned evil mentalness, and the batman cartoon completely wiped away the campness of the adam west batman, even if it was cool in its own "special" way

eek eek eek eek

well play is really shaping up to be so incredible with nick on way now
EDITED_BY: simta (1183726491)

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
ubblol batmans just a rich mental patient nobody has committed yet, suffers from acute split personality disorder, a sociapath who cannot control his vigilante impulses... may have worked in the 70's but today he would be thrown in a white coat and put in a soft room somewhere.... a nice little retirement I would think ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

MojojoGOLD Member
wandering dingo
167 posts

Posted:

Anybody want to help us get to the site?

Anybody got some extra tents?

Yipe yipe yipe!!!

Have a spare three pLayperson tent, but I'm not going up until thursday night...or you can pick it up earlier.
Also have spare sleeping mat/s (we found this stuff in our loft!! bonus.)

Only three things are certain: Death, Taxes, and that England will not win back the Ashes in this lifetime.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Poiboy

OMG! Nick at PLAY! bouncebounce2bouncebounce2

gonna be awesome, cant wait ubbrollsmile

who?

wink

btw hi nick, im mech, ikm a [censored]!

smile

Step (el-nombrie)

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mynci

ubblol batmans just a rich mental patient nobody has committed yet, suffers from acute split personality disorder, a sociapath who cannot control his vigilante impulses... may have worked in the 70's but today he would be thrown in a white coat and put in a soft room somewhere.... a nice little retirement I would think ubblol

Nah, today he would get "care in the community"...

Hang on, we've gone all offtopic again, and after TLP worked so hard to get us back on track...

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Hurray, tents! Rob, yes, we'd love the big tent. Jocelyn has a sleeping bag but I sent mine to Canada when I packed for Bali.

Mojojo: The sleeping mats would be great.

I think EJC is too far and too expensive to get to... so I'm thinking Big Green Gathering. I'm just trying to see what the options are. Who else is going to EJC?

I wanted to make Glade but it's pretty expensive and I've got my neck stuck out pretty far financially, so I'm staying here to finish up some stuff I'm having made (poi designs, poi pendants, etc.)

There's always a chance I'll decide to go to Glade spontaneously. Anybody got free tickets?

Yes, I'll offer some workshops. Working on it. I'm super way too totally busy right now... and internet in Bali sucks. How about "Bending Time and Space with Poi" and "SuperUberDooperLooping?"

As far as I can tell, I'm not a super-hero. I think I thought I was a superhero when I decided I would be able to film new DVDs before going to Europe. That kind of proved me wrong... but it makes for even funner DVDs smile

n

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
good gried, what did i start!

batman is gay

gene gray/phenoix - depends on which one, if you are talking the one from the recent film, you can keep her *spits

if you are talking 1990's cartoon - owwww yes please

if you are talking comic book - depending on your era, owww yes please....

more over you could have Nova (galactices herald after the silver surfer freed himself) as she is the current embodiment of the power cosmic, and so able to do all kinds of cool stuff, plus she is on fire.

plus her ability of teleportation to the right place at the right time (as he calls it) is what sends her to galactic by accident, and so becomes his herald.

Non-Https Image Link

so there ya go, another idea for play

and yes rouge would have to vanish off to get more powers for us to last the whole festival, but if she got a teleport power, thahts resolved,

also depending on teh level of power she takes, depends on how long she keep the power for....

back to the bats

yes he is gay, no he is not a super hero, but he was asked to be part of the justice league because he was not a super hero, and they needs ppl like him to ground them to stop them thinking they knew best at all times.

you also have to take on board the idea that ofetn a super heros altero ego is the main hero of the comic.

take *shudders* superman (bloody dc comics, best example tho)

as super man he can have everything he wants, Louis lane, the world on a plate, he could rule the earth (he has to close his mind to the Kryptonian ideas of ruling and power, and death, and anger so that this does not happen (read th comic books). But clark, is a lowly man, doing right everyday, like holding doors open, being a good guy, looking at the woman he loves knowing she is in love with him, but to scared of hurting her to do anything (well until later an ways, it was what like the 90's when they married in eth comic books i think)

he is often refferd to as a boy scott, and to cover his powers, and be normal, and small is far more or an achivemnt that it is to be super man, that come naturally, he has to struggle and try, and hold his powers back everyday to be clark.

another example would be the mutants in the x-men series, they are persecuted by sentinels, and government agencies, like shield (didn't expect that did ya?), and while they can whoop ass, they fight not for power, but for freedom, and for equal rights, but they do that in the right ways (obviously we are talking about the x-men, and not magnetos followers) but they lobby, and follow the US laws and regs, rather than all out war to get what they want.

They know we would lose, but yet they hold back, and learn how to use their powers for good (in most cases)

(this being down to prof x, does not tell you right from wrong, once you leave the school, you choose your own side, he just equips you wit the skills to use your power and not endanger others), he is in effect neutral in the school, apart from selecting students for the team, and magneto knows this, and so rarely attacks the school, as he gets mutants out of it to...

in short, its less about the powers they have that make them super heros, its more down to who they are when they are not in costume.

Step (el-nombrie)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Nick.. don't forget to put Belfast in the schedule... not sure I'll be coming to Play. Probably not, I'm afraid.

(and please don't ask why... )

Getting to the other side smile

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
oooOooooo...
Mojojojo can I sleep on the sleeping mats at Spun out . The my planes might get better....

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

MojojoGOLD Member
wandering dingo
167 posts

Posted:
huh?
No, sorry, you will have to come over here for Play and borrow them!!

Only three things are certain: Death, Taxes, and that England will not win back the Ashes in this lifetime.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
ubblol well Step has already run the play Marvel/DC workshop 3 weeks early, ubblol what am I going to do thursday afternoon now eek

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Clare play will be a place full of friends that love you. I know you have your reasons not to come, but I plead with you....... the space will do you so much good

Your friends need to see you as much as you need to see them. I'm really not going to take no for an answer to this one!!!!

Peace

Lisa

xx
EDITED_BY: BamBam (1183737482)

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

TastesLikePurpleGOLD Member
addict
498 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PinkNigel

Hang on, we've gone all offtopic again, and after TLP worked so hard to get us back on track...

thankx for trying but there's not a lot we can do shrug i'm loving the various bat workshop ideas though! we should definately do some!!! although i feel they will just turn into a whole 'hehe look at the funny blindfolded people' spectacle! which, for the record i have no problem with biggrin

and Mech - 10/10 for passion and effort wink

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...

336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mynci

what am I going to do thursday afternoon now eek

Since neither TLP or I have a problem with hehe look at the funny blindfolded people, on Thursday afternoon you could well be stumbling around with a bag on your head...

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Clare, I'm with Lisa on that one. hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Ditto Clare smile

hug

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Lets face it the whole of PLAY want to give you a hug - and whilst we dont want to put ant pressure on you. It is basically that youve got to come otherwise we're not going to have as good a time - and we dont want you to have that on your conscience!! - So come darl

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
hug

I'm not going to post my reasons here, because I'm not that callous.

I very much want to see all my friends, but I really can't deal with any more emotional upsets at the mo... this is now unavoidable at Play, no matter what happens or who is there... and I just can't deal with it. I'm sorry frown

I need to start holding on to my own energy, and not having it drained... and I'm not strong enough to face any challenges to that at the minute.

I might organise a wee gathering at my house in August for those who were interested in coming over...

In the meantime... I really hope you all have a splendid time... it sounds great, with lots of amazing, inspiring people. Have fun... and hold my energy with you...

xx

Getting to the other side smile

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Fair enough Hun
I dont know whats going on for you, but I can somehow relate - thats why I didnt see much of you at EJC last year.
Anyhow - we'll be enjoying for you and I hope that things get better for you. I think youre making the right choice and its a courageous thing to take hold of your position and take a strong position
Peas and love to you Hun

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
right, seeing as we are back on the subject of play, well...almost.....I have a couple of car spaces free from liverpool if anybody wants them. i'm going up on the wednesday, and coming back sunday afternoonish.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I dunno clair, not that I know the first thing that your talking about, or what happend. I doubt four days in a field sun bathing, spinning, and listening to live music will be too emotionaly draining, but all the best anyway hug

I think im gonna train it to play and get on the bus, anyone else around blackburn/preston/bolton-ish fancys saying hi along the way? Its only two train changes.
EDITED_BY: Brit_Joe (1183910955)

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brit_Joe

Ticket number *** booked in yesterday. I dunno dunc looks like there are plenty of tickets left, better get selling some LOL lolololol!!111!!01! ubbrollsmile

sorry joe, you are wrong, you should really get your facts straight before you try to post what ticket number you have.

hats a confirmation order number, not a ticket number. I would also be selective about about where to post the configuration number of you ticket, as that is what we use to give you a ticket (wrist band) on the day. Meaning some one could use your order confirmation to gain access to the site illegally.

You dont have a clue how many tickets we have sold, and so there for should not tell us that we need to sell more.

dear sweet joe...shhhhhh....

Step (el-nombrie)

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
well that told her....and everyone else that they can get in on her ticket nom. Looks like theres gonna be a helluva lot of Joe's wondering around at PLAY this year.
Peas out - lets hope the weather like this heh!

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mech

Meaning some one could use your order confirmation to gain access to the site illegally.

So what you're saying is that someone might turn up at the gate and say "Hello, my name is Joe"??..

Page: ......