DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone, I've finally gotten the space to host a sprite comic I do in my spare time once a week. I went ahead and posted the first 13 episodes so viewers can see a decent amount of my work and get into the story a bit.

The comic is of a genre known as "sprite comics," which use video game graphics and text to create a picture story. Think of the little video game guys as my actors.

For those curious about the content, it involves characters from Final Fantasy VI (16-bit SNES) and the 32-bit Megaman X series characters. It's an interesting look at how action gamers react to role-playing games.

You can visit my comic site (hosted so generously by mine and DaiTenshi's friends) at:
dio.digital-psyche.com

Hope you all enjoy it! And feel free to offer me any feedback or constructive criticism, this is my first foray into playing with Photoshop on a regular basis, as well as my first real experience writing a comic.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
That is so cool. It so blatantly pushes all my buttons. RPGs, 2d sprites, comics, even kung fu movies.

I give a rating of... ooh four and a half smileys

My favourite lines are from the special episode
"We rush to stop him!"
"Use the Final Attack!"

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

729 posts

Posted:
Hehehe yeah you guys can thank DaiTenshi for the inspiration on that one... we were at Tae Kwon Do practice last night and he said to me "get a picture of me doing a fireball technique from Street Fighter!"

Tossed together some pics from his 21st birthday party, and a couple other TKD Team members, and poof

Keep checking up on the comic page, it's updated every Tuesday! And thank you for the kind words!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
oh no!!! I know this is going to be sick, and I haven't even seen it yet. But if it is anything like the one hanging on your wall...

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Yep, I was correct.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Kittytheravequeenmember
285 posts

Posted:
lol there arent big enough smileys to give it!!

i'll draw you a picture ill draw it with a twist ill draw it with a razorblade ill draw it on my wrist and if i do it right a red fountain will appear washing away my sorrow washing away my fear

729 posts

Posted:
A special treat for everyone... I went and uploaded the rest of my pre-finished comics. From here on out they'll be on a weekly update schedule, but I wanted to share the ones I've got sitting around and let people establish a sort of sense of what's going on in the comic. Enjoy!

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
dude this is very cool! luv it!

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

729 posts

Posted:
Just posted the 44th comic in my series, it's a special Halloween episode and figured you guys might enjoy it

Also taking the opportunity to share my comic with newer members not around when I first announced it! Enjoy!

Digital Psyche: The Comic

Please bear with us if the page doesn't load, our service has been terrible lately and experiences periodic down times but typically resolves that in a matter of a few minutes

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Haha! This is so cool. I've been a wannabe penciller for years, so it's great to see someone else doing something so different and yet similar at the same time. Have you ever had any scripts reviewed by the digital webbing lot? They offer a lot of constructive criticism.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

729 posts

Posted:
I did try to go a little more public with my comic but apparently there's some sort of stigma attached to using video game graphics in comics... I think it spawns from people believing it's not original unless you draw it yourself. There's very few successful sprite comics out there, and the ones who are doing well are the ones who came before mine, so no matter what I do the webcomic community is going to see me as an unoriginal hack anyway.

I just go with it, I'm not trying to make money or steal anyone's sunshine through making comics, I just like to see my own stories unfolding in picture form. I get as much entertainment out of reading them as most of my readers do

Who is the "digital webbing lot" though? I've never heard of that group. Mind pointing me in their direction?

dj_retromember
87 posts

Posted:
break dancing moogles.........i love you man! no really i like the idea, reminds me a lot of 8-bit theater. what in the world possesed you to mix FF and MegaMan? wait...i just remembered me and my friend made our own sprit comic baised off of Maniac Mansion...if i can find it ill ahve him host it off of his site.

<( ' ' )>
Fear the Kirby

dj_retromember
87 posts

Posted:
oh and i like the small DUNE referance...

<( ' ' )>
Fear the Kirby

tiamat_22580I will kill all mods
210 posts

Posted:
cool, i used to do that but i did it with flash 5 so i could animate it , it was sweet

¿

729 posts

Posted:
Actually the basis for a lot of my stuff comes from arguments I've had with my roommates... action vs RPG gaming being a notable one... also several other little inside jokes and references like the Dune thing (which I did to piss off my Dune-fanboy roommate heehee) and there's always a few good Star Wars homages.

8-bit theater was the first comic to use sprites, yeah... and it's the one everyone accuses every sprite comic of ripping the idea off from.

If you're looking for flash-animated Final Fantasy movies, the best ones I have ever seen are located at the following link:
Final Fighting Fantasy

Though some of the later ones are a bit... different... it's still quite interesting to watch and the music (mostly FF Trance remixes) kicks royal ass!