Forums > Social Chat > what do i do about other spinners

Login/Join to Participate

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
i am a south african in brazil on exchange and only speack the basics in portugeese but!

i went to a really ausome rave at a town near where i stay on saturday and i took my poi along as i usually do, as i got out of the car i saw a few spiners and jugglers doing there stuff for the crowd.

i practically ran over and started to get ready when i started in the circle with about 5 other poi guys going to the music they stoped me after about a minunte, and said i could not do my poiu anymore becoz i am not brazilian! wtf! so i finnished my set and put my poi away because i didnt feel like fighting guys that are twice my age and size.

i noticed afterwards that all of them really sucked and i think they where jealous but come on why didnt they ask me for some tips i would have gladly given then loads of kero or help.

any suggestions on how to deal with this if it happens again?

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'd like to be able to say 'Just tell them to shut the hell up and keep spinning, if they start any more trouble, then poke them in the eyes' but that's not really a good idea if you're on your own.

People like that really, really annoy me but unfortunately the only advice I have is just to ignore them, it's not worth the hassle and exta problems kicking up a fuss will bring.

Just be happy in the knowledge that if they keep doing that to people who could show them lots of new stuff, they're never going to get better

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
What a bunch of losers.

Don't let them get you down.

Magnus... pay it forward

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
That's awful. I don't think it is a spinning thing, most spinners I know of are very welcoming of newcomers, even if they don't speak the language.

It may have just been that bunch of people who were there to wow the crowd and keep all the glory for themselves.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
As much as I think their attitude is ridiculously bad, I would hae to say the following :
they are from a place and environnement that is apparently not used to having visiting fire dancers, they do not know how to behave with others.
My advice would be / would have been to first go out and chat with them and ask them : can I join you guys ? how does it go here ? would you care to share my fuel ? etc ...
ego is everywhere and certainly in the fire community too. so either you tell them to get lost and create your own group or you try and discuss it with them...

hope things get better, keep us posted

Shine on
Cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I've actually come across sort of the same thing in the UK.. I was at the Pot March in London last year - now there were LOADS of spinners there, lots of them are on these boards.. BUT they lots I am talking about were selling home made poi and didn't look like they were UK nationals.. I went bounding over from the D&B tent with my poi and went up to them - smiled, waved and started to spin.. they promptly stopped spinning and walked away and set up a couple of meters away from me.. How big did they make me feel.. hmmm about ` that big.. For me poi and staff are a universal 'family' making thing.. I have utmost repsect for all spinners as it takes a certain ammount of dedication to do it.... I don't think they had the same thought as me - or maybe I just smelt really bad that day? Dunno

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

foxytrippermember
3 posts

Posted:
Sorry to hear about the unpleasant experience. Dont let it get you down.
I have been travelling for 4 years now and it is pretty rare for other fire spinners to not welcome you with open arms. However I myself have had similar experiences on several occassions. Largely I felt that it was due to some sort of macho bravado where the locals dont want to be shown up by someone better. and in my case by a girl. It is a sad state of affairs but I assure you that if you persevere you will find other like minded people in Brazil.
Keep on spinning and be proud of yourself for learing this unique art.
All the best!

da foxy tripper

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
The only place I've ever caught attitude from other fire performers is, ironically enough, at Burningman. Mind you that I am refering to a small minority of the fire performers out there, but still - Burningman is a festival that to me represents openess, exceptance, creativity, and community, so it is strange to find fire people, (who are usually the greatest people to chat with), giving lots of attitude that is completely out of place in such a blissful enviroment.

I must reiterate (before all my Burningman bretheren on this sight get hacked at me) that most fire types I meet out there are fantastic. But there are enough &!@#heads to make me think twice about going up to chat with someone who I just saw spinning, and I friggin hate that like you wouldn't beleive. My favorite part of festivals like that is having the chance to talk with people and it really irks me that there are some things that make me not want to do that there.

Ok, I'm about done with this rant. One last point though - almost without exception, the fire performers with bad attitudes are almost always lacking real skill or any true love for the activity. In my experience, someone who doesn't love other his brothers and sisters of the flame is only there to be the center of attention instead of being a real artist. They aren't worth your time.

I personally don't care what your skill level is, as I just want to hang out and have fun and share the common bond. And even the newest of poi-sters can occasionly show a seasoned veteran an insight or two because everyone's styles and learning meathods are so different.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
hmmm..; I would have to say kudos to Vanize for ecpressing it well. I still stick to my opinion about joining a new group and checking on the local ruler... but these words make total sense ... you rock, Vanize

shine on
Cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Hah! Now Cass is just trying to butter me up so she can take another shot at capturing my soul in a nutella jar.

Crepe witch!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
well peps thanx for the advice and dont worry im still spinning and getting better just inspite of them.

nice word vanize, oh yeah and thanx for the advice with the btb weave it really helped.

peace out and keep spinning!

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

PompBerrynewbie
18 posts

Posted:
Wow! I've never heard of that happening before around here!
Where are you in Brazil, exactly?
I live in Brasília and here everyone respects the other's space at raves...
I'm sorry about what happened... it's that kind of [censored] that ruins the image of us brazilians.

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
It's sad to hear of this occurring to you JinX. hug

I have to go with what Cassandra said though: It's good to communicate with other dancers first before twirling with them. It's also a good way of ascertaining what skill they are, how safe they are and their environment is, and generally their disposition.

I welcome all people to twirl with me of all skill levels and disciplines smile hug

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
DEATH TO ALL BRAZILIANS!!!!

Oh...was that not the spirit? wink

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
Bottom line. Some people just suck.
But everyone here's better than that, right? biggrin

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

E_V_I_LMosh-mosh-mosh-mosh.
346 posts

Posted:
That sucks major donkey dangly bits.

Sounds like a territory/glory/macho thing like the other insightful people here have said.

Personally I'd have moved away, made sure it was a public space and in no-ones way and then just carried on. People can then watch who they want. So long as you were having fun who cares if some other glory-hunters were annoyed or whatever - SPIN ON!

I know I stop sometimes in a club ... but thats to watch and try to learn something!

Xbox360 Live ID - Sacred Apollyon

"Enemies you threaten make armies. Enemies you destroy make graves."

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i agree with evil, i would have moved away from them and spun on my own. Those guys lost the chance to meet someone cool who they could potentially learn and better themselves from because of whatever reason they had. I have not met one spinner who was an ass, i havnt been doing it that long so it looks like eventually we all get one, but for the most part, this is the most humble and friendly community ive ever been a part of.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
umm..

This thread is over 4 years old.. confused

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
ubbloco ubblol shrug

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
lol it was at the top of the page i swear, it said it had 4 new comments shrug

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yeah, buts its still 4 years old ubblol

Good bump there Mr PompBerry, You've confused many people biggrin
I commend and double time salute you! wave

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
You sure it wasn't due to the language barrier?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Where was the barrier? umm

Did I just walk straight through it without realising, like people do to the plastiky red and white hazard tape at festivals, in the dark?

Did it look like this?:

Non-Https Image Link

PompBerrynewbie
18 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnderControlOrFailure

Yeah, buts its still 4 years old ubblol

Good bump there Mr PompBerry, You've confused many people biggrin
I commend and double time salute you! wave

Miss PompBerry actualy tongue

Daaaamn! 4 years old?! Ooops redface I hadn't noticed... Its cuz it was the only relevant thread that popped up when I searched for "Brazil", and I found the situation really absurd... so I just had to coment x)

Thanks for the salute biggrin
I salute you too, just cuz you seem realy nice... hehehe

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Sorry miss, many apologies redface

I dont know where you got the impression that im nice from.

I must be the most cold hearted, evilest and downright rudest censored on all of Hop smile

*puppy dog eyes*

Would you like some cake? I baked it for you especially! biggrin

ubbangel

Dont worry about the old bump of a thread! Its sometimes quite nice to be reminded of long ago. Though I dont like to read messages I posted years ago. I was an idiot frown

I thought that the reason you stated, would be the case, for why you posted. I think I would have searched for "Brasil" too..... though I dont know why I would though, seeing as I live in the UK ubblol

PompBerrynewbie
18 posts

Posted:
Hahaha it's perfectly fine. biggrin
And I'm sure you're not!

Aaah I'm hungry! It's just plain evil to ofer me cake overseas! angry

ok... maybe I'll take back the part where I said you're not cold hearted and evil...

hahahha just joking tongue

Hmm I think I did search for "Brasil"... I'm not sure really, come to think of it! :O
I'm gonna go search right now! ubblol

PompBerrynewbie
18 posts

Posted:
so yeah... I searched...
the only relevant thing that came up was a person's post about wanting to get a fire poi group started... and I'm WAY too inexperienced for that frown redface