ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
So there are some interesting links in the is contact a new thing thread but its all a bit diluted and derailed now, so i thought a new thread could be good. Id like to hear about other cultures/forms that use staff/do contact particularly their history and any videos would be a bonus.

Contact Staff - see video forum

Baton Twirling - no doubt you have all seen it Baton mmmm spandex

Feicha - trident cubefx

Rifle Twirling - rifle spinning link 1 rifle spinning link 2

Egyptian Cane dance - Cane link 1

Samoan Fire Knife - Fire knife world championship 2004

Tai Chi - Instructional DVD promo

Wushu - wushu central

Janitors

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
I remember seeing a video of possibly hungarians doing some kind of traditional dance with long sticks.

Point your toes.

Kooothormember
129 posts

Posted:
Very interesting this thread. For the baton twirling, you can add this one :

biggrin

Kooothor , French Crew
~~~~
i'm in your kitchen, drinkin' your milk

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Nice one benjamen!

Nice new feicha clip you've got there. But the janitors broom twirling is also feicha, just with a broom.

Plus the cubeFX clip has no feicha in it... I can't find that tridentFX clip he had from ages ago anywhere... soooo annoying.

biggrin hug

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
There's a history of contact staff in circus strongman acts too.

Valentin Dikul springs to mind, but sorry, no videos. I think you can see his staff in this pic though, it has a kettleball on either end!

Non-Https Image Link

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
So do you include "Mace" spinning (Old school marching band stuff) as a different form?
Or would that be lumped in with Baton, as marching band type spinning?
Also, do you make any distinction between the Eastern staff/spear based combat styles, and English/ European Martial arts like Quarter Staff, Bill Hook, Pike, Guisarm?
I know it's going to be hard to make much distinction between some forms, how distinct do you want to make the categories? Is this an attempt at a comprehensive list of staff manipulation everywhere, everywhen?

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
don't forget morris dancers!

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

and what about the stuff from musicals like 'me old bamboo'?

does that count?

I think we might need a link to meg's stolen/borrowed spinning vids

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Weow - very interesting location, lazy angel and definately the best version of the Ghandi-quote.

To be honest I never seen any staff routine in the circus, up until the Cirque de Soleil tour in I guess) 2000, where this smiling guy from Hawaii was twirling two short staff ultra-fast (and doing some flame-passing on his skin).

I reckon staff itself has a very long history, as with stone it is one of the oldest weapons on the planet, and which is one reason why I adore staff and poi so much:

not simply martial arts with every days tools, but - more than the old tradition - keeping the movements alife, adding the element of (artistic) expression and leaving (a more comforting) impression on the audience (i.e. not feeling threatened in any way - other than loose burning objects shrilling towards them wink )

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
apparentlyCDS's "ka" has an acrobatic non fire staff throwing and twirling routine ,although its roots may be more contemporay rather than historical,unfortun atly i have never seen it or managed to find any video footage

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Check out the Cirque du Soleil website for videoclips on Ka. Atleast there used to be a promo clip with parts of the staff routine. And I thought it was terrible. But sorta interesting.

Point your toes.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL6Zhtk7x3s

More Feicha at 0:59 sec.:D

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
thats cool how you foound the link

thats pancho a friend of mine i haven´t seen since quite a while
thank you very m. for the link

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
where do you get a feicha?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
it's a kind of chinese hernia, nobody can tell you how to get one, you can only experience it for yourself.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i would love to learn how to use the halberd.

EDITED_BY: poje (1178310170)

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
The Maori, also have a traditional of stick fighting. They call it taiaha https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiaha

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Just for info...

There's a more Northern Irish version of the baton twirlers too...

Young lads who lead the 12th July parades often twirl baton-type sticks, some even doing a bit of limited contact.

It's a very different attitude though... usually quite menacing and threatening, and for the baton twirlers it seems to be very much tribal bravado as they lead their pipe bands (each band marks a particular loyalist territory).

Anyways... I'm trying to get some outreach stuff sorted out with the community groups at the mo... so maybe a bit of contact staffery will reduce the menacing aspect...

Who knows... have to be optimistic...

Getting to the other side smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
While we're here, there's also "Nupe" which is a black fraternity thing, where they dance with short canes. I think it's called nupe anyway. NYC loves it, he'll probably be in here in a minute talking about stepping and the greek alphabet.

anyway, A good example (I think):

Suibom posted some good links up on tribe... maybe I'll go get them later.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
sweet

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
nice

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
wee update:

Contact Staff - A young 'western' style of spinning, related to contact juggling and influenced by the juggling community. (At least in Britain.)

youtube.com/watch

Baton Twirling - A slightly older form of spinning. Using short metal 'baton's and heavily based on competition. Incorporates lots of contact, gymnastics, fast precise twirling and throws and very high throws. From 1 to four batons can be used. (Not five just yet.)

youtube.com/watch

youtube.com/watch

Chinese Fei cha - A Chinese form of spinning / contact. Comes from the Beijing / Chinese opera tradition. Done with tridents traditionally. All based on rolling. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

youtube.com/watch

youtube.com/watch

youtube.com/watch

Rifle Twirling - Obviously heavily militaristic. Generally based on the spinning and throwing of just one rifle.

https://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/varstg:@field(NUMBER(1301))

https://theblackwatchdrillteam.com/HeribertoVeyran.html

Egyptian Cane dance - I don't know much about this, other than it's a male Egyptian dance involving one or two medium length sticks.

youtube.com/watch

youtube.com/watch

Samoan Fire Knife - Samoan Fire Knife is a warrior dance used to display skill in combat. The knife is very heavy, and is spun very fast, with high and technical throws and catches, there is also a lot of 'performance' elements to show warrior spirit. The knife dance is very old, but the fire a relatively new element. 1 - 4 knifes can be twirled. Recently women have also started competing.

https://homepage.mac.com/kenrom/iMovieTheater136.html

https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2891310501027427246

Tai Chi - A martial art form of staff manipulation. Thou generally they use spears.

youtube.com/watch

https://taiji.de/taiji/head5e/index.htm

Wushu - Another martial art, this time a display martial art with flips integrated into it.

https://www.wushucentral.com/videos/v.php/china/1996_nationals/staff

youtube.com/watch

Nupe - A black fraternity form of spinning from America. Uses a short cane, with a round hook, which contributes to a unique set of moves. There seems to be an emphasis on integrating spinning with dance, at a relatively fast speed. The cane can also be tapped on the floor in group performances for making rhythms. Two and three canes are sometimes also manipulated in performances. Generally due to the small and lightness of the cane, planes aren't really considered.

youtube.com/watch

youtube.com/watch

Random other stick manipulations:

Circus:

Cube: https://www.cubefx.com/realaudio/cubefx_video01s.ram

Pyramid: youtube.com/watch

Barbell: https://www.tlmb.net/vids/OlegTeplitskiNightmare.mp4

Weird:

youtube.com/watch

youtube.com/watch

youtube.com/watch

youtube.com/watch

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Good work Meg smile

Getting to the other side smile

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
Enric Rastelli twirling a staff with his foot while juggling three clubs will doing a head balance.

Masked52member
83 posts

Posted:
I saw staff in Tonga, Tuvalu, French Polynesia, Kiribati, and the Solomon Islands.

Fire eaters are the most conceited people. Especially when they're on fire. "Help me, save me, put me out, me, me, me..."

-Paolo the Fire Eater

addict
446 posts

Posted:
I think we could add staff juggling to the list as another 'western' style of staff twirling. https://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=-270663563691732845&hl=fr

Point your toes.

krissztiinastranger
1 post

Posted:
Hi,

As I am Hungarian I felt obligated to put here some links about a Hungarian traditional dance with a stick, which mainly sheperds were doing.

In the first link you can see the sheperd stick dance at the country side, with traditional music and movements,performed by an old man, he looks so sweet:)

And here some more links about that dance:

Nushka MorozovaGOLD Member
fire fairy
18 posts

Posted:
Ukraine:
National Fighting Dance - Gopak

EDITED_BY: Nushka Morozova (1252078537)

- Kiev Fire Theatre (member)
- Kiev Fire Fest (organizer)