Forums > Social Discussion > Home "remedies" when coming down with cold

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I put "remedies" because I know it isn't a remedy. I know they are symptomatic treatments.

All day today I've felt icky. It started mild with a scratchy throat and a stuffy nose and it's progressed to where I am just waiting for the Nyquil to kick in.

So, in the mean time what do you do?

My gran used to have me take honey mixed with thyme (which contains anti-inflammatory) and cayanne (clears sinuses) and let it dissolve under the tongue. It worked, but only for a short time. (I think I've figured out how to make cough drops out of it though).

Mint tea with lemon too helped.

And ginger beer. That settled the tummy, cleared the sinues and soothed the throat. It's nice.

What did/have ya'll used?

(and yes Mike, I still stand by my decision to not get the flu shot wink )

EDITED_BY: Pele (1168217254)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
try eating a bag of wasabi pea's smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
There's a good chance ginger and garlic will help. Honey's an antibacterial, so it wouldn't do much good against an actual virus unless it has some rudimentary antiviral property I'm not aware of. Vitimin C wouldn't help once a colds started, and large amounts are no more effective than adequate amounts (an apple a day wink ). Echinecea appears to be inneffective at treating infections, but people often dislike hearing that.

Whisky will very definately make you feel better. smile

Long story short, I go with a hot toddy.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
yeah we know jeff unless you have scientific proof...;)
hot toddies are sworn by at my old work
zinc i've heard
sore throats-gargle warm salt water
stuffy noses-sort of mint tea or something hot, like a curry
nausea-wet room temp or cool rag on back of neck and one across foreheads for headaches
warm bath for body aches, lavender oils
chamomile for sleeping
i'll take benedryl or nyquil first

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
For coughs:
Dice one large onion, place in a bowl, and cover liberally with brown (Demerara) sugar.
Leave to stand overnight, or just until sugar turns to liquid.
Take two spoonfuls of the liquid that forms, after every coughing episode.

Our old family recipe, always worked for me. We called it “onion & brown sugar.”

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ArthurBrown

For coughs:
Dice one large onion, place in a bowl, and cover liberally with brown (Demerara) sugar.

Our old family recipe, always worked for me. We called it “onion & brown sugar.”

Ummmm...sounds yummy? eek ubblol

What do you do while you are waiting for the liquid to form? It seems like a long time to wait when you are coughing up a lung confused

I bet the onion clears the sinuses though! wink

Pele

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Has anyone tried that powder stuff..ummm...it's a fizzy drink full of vitamin C...can't remember the name. Comes in little packets like Kool-aid. Just add water. Ring a bell?
I have some but am afraid to try it (though now would be the time since my taste buds are off, right? wink )

Emergen-C THAT's what it's called (thanks to the commercial that just jogged my memory! wink )

Pele

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So there is some evidence that VERY large doses of vitamin C (5-10g/day) for the duration of the illness and NO LONGER (unless you want kidney stones) may reduce the duration of the illness.

Ultimately there is no cure to the common cold yet. frown

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I actually believed Linus Pauling, and now I want my money back. mad

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Written by: ArthurBrown

For coughs:

Ummmm...sounds yummy? eek ubblol

What do you do while you are waiting for the liquid to form? confused

Contact staff of course. wink

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

So there is some evidence that VERY large doses of vitamin C (5-10g/day) for the duration of the illness and NO LONGER (unless you want kidney stones) may reduce the duration of the illness.

That's very interesting. Could you send me a link so I can check it out the reseach?
 Written by: faithinfire

yeah we know jeff unless you have scientific proof...;)

In that case I've got an even better remedy. Works 100% of the time, and cures cancer to book. Everyone I know swears by it. And of course I'm too busy curing people for this whole out-dated concept of "evidence based medicine"

Just $35.50, I'm starting up a cottage industry making it.

wink

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I knew there has been a cure for cancer for ages, but it has been covered up by the government or someone who doesn't want us to know. I'm glad to see you've found it Jeff, and that you're not letting those spoil-sport scientists get in your way.

Can you do me a deal on 1 box of cancer cure and 1 anthrax inoculation?

On topic: I heard someone on radio 2 about 3 years ago saying that he 'flushed' his nose every night after cleaning his teeth. He would spray water up there and blow hard to remove anything. He said he'd not got a cold for years...

When I'm ill I always push myself as much as I can. I find that sitting about feeling sorry for myself doesn't help at all but being active does. I also drink a lot of very hot honey and lemon. I don't know if the honey and lemon does any good - it's more to do with the heat.

I find drinking it as hot as I can makes the cold go within about 24 hours, but I have no way of telling if it would have gone away anyway.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Whenever my dad got sick he would drink a bottle of whisky and lots of ginger, dress exceptionally warmly and wrap himself tightly in the duvet. It wasn't plesant, but he would sweat it out and be right as rain in the morning, every time, without fail.

I'm not too keen on this myself, but it may work for some. biggrin

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
I woke up in the middle of the night with a sore throat and not feeling too well. Thinking I was gonna feel really miserable by morning, I jumped into action. I rubbed Vicks on my throat, wrapped a scarf around it and went back to bed with a cup of hot lemon and ginger tea.
Woke up with no sore troat! Feeling much better!

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Firetramp, very nice dodge! wink

My bedroom reeks of Vicks! I love it!
The wrapping the throat is weird. I *know* it is good for sore throats but it is sooooo aggrivating to me, I can't even wear a turtle neck anymore so I really respect the fact that you can sleep like that!
I'd never thought of combining the Vicks with a throat wrap..that's a good idea. Thanks!

Pele

Page: