Forums > Social Discussion > Your nickname, and you, your feelings and your friends!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I've been using Yakumo for games, and online since I was 15, so.. lets just say over 10 years now wink

I never really particularly liked or felt attached to the nicknames I'd been called by others at school etc.

I'd felt at the time, it's not the nick that counts, it's what you make of it, choose something you like, and make it yours.

I chose Yakumo on a whim, I needed something, and didn't want to use my real name to play a game, I quite liked it and liked the character I took it from, it was years later I found out it's true meaning (eight clouds) which I also liked, but don't really feel it represents me any more. I really beleive in 'make it yours' but right now I guess I feel it's a little out of place, for the first time I feel perhaps it's not right for me, and where I'm going (wherever that may be..) and maybe I should try something a little different, I still sometimes attach 'unr' (from my old quake2/3 clan) to the end of it if 'Yakumo' is an unavailable choice, or if something requires a surname, but that is really a life I've long left behind now.

So that brings us to this topic, how did you chose your nick, how long have you used it? have you/do you change it? are you happy with it still? do you feel it represents you?

And to make more of a conversation of it,or if you don't want to talk about yourself, please comment if you can on how you feel about the nicks of other posters in this thread, (or any other HoP'er) and how well you feel their nick represents them smile

maybe I just feel I need a real, complete fresh start, bundled in with thoughts of maybe finally leaving where I've lived for 7 years. But with Spinners is where I want to stay smile

EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1168351104)

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Blu: yeah I know what you mean, but Lemsip and the other name ( I can't remember what) just sounded wrong! Also now it's gets shortened to vamp, or quite often we just call him Simon. I guess a bit like most people call me Guy rather than LazyAngel, once they've actually met me (at least as far as I know)

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
I suppose..now that I think about it, I always call him Simon...and I alway call you Guy ubblol

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i've had many a nickname over the years.ranging from simple "bloomers" to "bundy" as in al bundy....................possibly at times ted bundy ubblol

but at the moment close people either call me al or ravey.

i'm not really one to hold sentiment to nick names

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Aimée, AiméeCakes, Aimz, Aim, or just plain A. Oh and my dad calls me Meemee, but thats sickly cute and not really me at all I don't think?

I've never really used anything besides my real name for anything.

I'm not really sure why..

I guess its because I'm quite fond it it. The way it sounds and the way its spelt.

I am Aimée! I am nothing else.

As for calling people by their HoP or real names, I think it depends on the HoP name and the real name, also on the person, but I cant really pinpoint what it is that makes me go either way..

I think Blu and Pigeon are the only people who I use both for. Besides them everybody else is one of the other.
EDITED_BY: Aimée (1168628805)

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
I've been called Gidg since I was three days old ... I think it's sort of stuck.

All the other nicknames have been a play off of Gidg, the newest one being Gidglette and seems to be popular on line and at work. I still haven't figured out how it got started at work, there is no connection between my online friends and work. Strange.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I couldnt think of anything original.

So i looked over at my games collection and saw "Operation Flashpoint"

Flashpoint of fuels.

I used to have a really short temper.

Bading!

However, my school nickname was "Booma" and i've been saddles withit cos I was loud in class. A teacher called Mr Darlington dubbed me that.

Git.
The only people who are allowed ( smile ) to call me that are people from school, and my brother.

Its just Pete otherwise. Latin for Rock. And thats a hard notion to live up to sometimes.

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Winged AvengerSILVER Member
The official Emma Peel wannabe
226 posts

Posted:
Hello!

By popular request here I am to explain my HoP name!

Have to say it took me ages to think of one cos the only nicknames I've ever had was Droopy (not having that!!) and Kazza by aussie friends.

I wouldn't call my Avenger liking-ness an obsession - more a very active interest. I wanted something Avengery but that wasn't too obvious. The Winged Avenger is an episode where some comic book writers have a giant Bird of Prey who avenges the wrongs of the world. However (warning - spoiler!!) One of the comic book writers has been donning the Winged Avenger suit and killing board members of the publishing company!!!!! Have just discovered this clip! Requires real player I am the Winged Avenger

However, one of the extras on the DVD tells me that Eee-Urp (the noise that the Winged Avenger makes)is the international greeting of Avenger fans everywhere! I have never heard this and dread the day when I Eee-Urp someone....

Am considering just changing it to Karen though as I'm not really a giant bird of prey who murders people! Its not a very exciting story but it has to with my Avenger-love!
EDITED_BY: Winged Avenger (1176452748)

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
rolleyes I rest my case wink

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

226 posts

Posted:
I don't know what you mean! Just cos I have an Avengers HoP name, Emma Peel as my avatar, I have a bowler hat and my signature is a quote from Emma Peel!

I don't get how i'm obsessed!

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

TinyPixieSILVER Member
enthusiast
394 posts

Posted:
No! Don't change it Karen! It's a great HoP name smile

Oh, my HoP name (TinyPixie) is pretty obvious to anyone who has met me ... I'm very, very small and I look a bit pixie-like, I guess, people tell me shrug Plus, people always go "oh! Of course!" when they meet me and I tell them my HoP name, so I guess it makes sense

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I remember that episode WA!!! It was the one where Emma Peel inexplicably wears a hat when she's walking on a ceiling wink and Steed beats up the bad guy with large comic panels with stuff like 'POW!' 'ZAP''WACK' painted on them - Batman-style! ubblol

You may be small nat but you're perfectly formed... like Plankton... biggrin

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

TinyPixieSILVER Member
enthusiast
394 posts

Posted:
I like plankton smile

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Neon hit the nail on the head as usual smile not sure about the plankton thing though tongue

I hope Irinus is going to join the thread.

TinyPixieSILVER Member
enthusiast
394 posts

Posted:
heehee! I blush redface redface

I don't know if Irinus will, he likes to maintain an air of mystery... wink

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
He does that pretty well smile it's an interesting name though, I may have asked about the origin in Ed. , but I've forgotten frown .. I shouldn't be nosey wink

@ Rovo I'd much rather watch you spin than that band play biggrin

Charlie FoxPLATINUM Member
Burinating the village like Trogdor
156 posts

Posted:
My forum names just whats written on my Credit Card, initials and last name.

Of interest... maybe. My mum is also a C Fox, and my little sister s M P J Fox.

My work/street name is occasionally Foxy, or Fox. You dont need to be a rocket scientist to work out why... Cos i'm DAMN FOXY!!! *cough* Or so my Partner would tell me wink

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!
- Anon (I think)

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
a-hem... foxy's taken. tongue

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i chose bender because 'malcolm' was already taken.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Winged Avenger

I wouldn't call my Avenger liking-ness an obsession - more a very active interest.

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol wink

I think Skulduggery is Skully to all and it suits her so well ubblove and the same for Bird (although i always call him Dave Bird as i know far to many Daves). I always thought Bird was a woman before i met him and sometimes i think he does too! ubblol

In Bristol there is always confusion between Sy(dream on HoP) and Psi (on HoP, Mike in real life)

I think Nate will always be Nate and never "Osakini". It just doesn't work and i could never call Mr Chutney Dave, it would just be so so wrong!

My HoP name is my real name as i couldn't be bothered to tell people both names. I'm that slack.

Gayle.....!

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Some of you have such great stories behind your names and I find that really facinating.

Um...Mine is quite basic and just came to me randomly.

I like tigers and fire....tigers go roar and fire just sounds cool at the end tongue

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I'm sure I posted in here but just can't find it...

I used to climb and look like a monkey nothing complex, along with my love for the great sage and the the fact I used to listened to Gorkys Zygotic Mynci kinda put it all together.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
yeah, Nate not only made the critical error of changing his name after everyone had got to know him by it, but.. in a far worse fassion, he change it to something longer, and harder to say!

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
mine's ever so boring, but figured if I'm supposed to be someone "official", my HoP name should be my real name, but George was already taken so added first part of my surname too.

Most of my earlier nicknames have come from mispronunciation of my surname McNeur (mick-newer) but of course the "manure" and obvious less appealing versions came out too!

One nickname that stuck for ages and I got rather attached to was E.T. - it was attached to me before the Steven Spielberg movie came out (yeah I'm old!) and I always thought it fit me fairly well. How it attached to me is difficult to relate here, and how it stuck to me when it never stuck to any of the previous E.T.'s I don't really know but everyone seemed to think it was right, and then the movie came along and cemented it since I'm a little bit shorter than some and act a little "alien" too!

The only other name that I really had was "Keneu" when I was a Cub Leader. I chose it from the Jungle Book list of Leader names because it was the fighting eagle that was also known for running skills and since I had been associated with the Air Force and the Skyhawk fighter plane, AND I've run a bunch of marathons and other endurance events, I was quite taken with it. I still quite like that one as it was a darn good period of my life.

So, feel free to rename me - I good do with a change wink
George

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: georgemc

So, feel free to rename me - I good do with a change wink
George

i shall name thee patsy! biggrin

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
I've seen that one - another cinematic classic!
fairy nuff, guess I asked for that!

patsy

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

226 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

I remember that episode WA!!! It was the one where Emma Peel inexplicably wears a hat when she's walking on a ceiling wink and Steed beats up the bad guy with large comic panels with stuff like 'POW!' 'ZAP''WACK' painted on them - Batman-style! ubblol

Neon Shaolin - Hooray! A HoPper with great TV taste! biggrin

Gayle - honestly I don't know what you mean!

Twiggymember
162 posts

Posted:
The nick names given to me have mostly related to my skinnyness.
It started out with Ethi, (short for ethiopian), that became StickMan which i used online a lot for a while. Stickman then became Twiggy at the age of 16 and stuck ever since.

The alias i gave myself for gaming was Frenzy because it suits my playing style. Super agressive + Frantic.

The only other nickname i had for a while was Roy and i have no idea how they decided on calling me that. Neither did the guy that started it.

So.. Twiggy + Frenzy. Depending on what im doing.
smile

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Some cool nicknames here. smile

I have a couple of nicknames.

Some were for gaming and the like.

I named my self "Swiss Cheese" for an FPS game which kinda stuck with me for a long time. The idea being that I was yellow (cowardly) and shot full of holes, (I.e. dead all the time.) tongue

Then I became Mr Pasta, as when I was short on cash I'd just buy huge packets of pasta. I used to waddle home with piles of pasta packets in my arms… I ate that stuff a lot. biggrin That’s how that one came about, became a fun game-name.

Aside from gaming, I had other nicknames too.

"Mac" was one, as my middle name is McAlpine... but I dropped it after a while as every new acquaintance I made thought I was just pretending to be Mac from Greenwing because I have golden/ginger hair!!

Then there was simply Ginge or Ginger, but I lost that name when my friend Tom entered our group. I really am strawberry blonde you see, and Tom is a full fiery ginger... so he got that name! I wasn't really attached to that anyway though.

A few people call me clown-boy or unicycle-kid, not in an insulting manner, but simply because circus-hobbies around here in Eastbourne (Eastbourne being lab bled as “God’s Waiting Room” with a very small youth culture and full of very old people.) is quite rare. People were just genuinely interested… I should point them to this website really. But that wasn’t a real nickname, just something I got called every now and then.

Now I'm just Ryan biggrin Occasionaly called McAlpine.

Oh, and in games I tend to be called Nobby. That is very long story involving a board game, a tunnel, a lantern and a stick of dynamite. But it sounds a lot more interesting than it really is, so I won’t ruin it. ^.^
EDITED_BY: McAlpine (1169500656)

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

db0BRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
Db0 is an acronym for "Divided by Zer0".

I chose it after a long time using "Historian" (which comes from my surname) because it didn't represent me in any way.

A "Division by Zero" is a classic program execution error in older programming languages. Since I am a programmer by heart, it just felt right.
a division by zero, incidentally, equals Infinite. I did not think of that when I was choosing Db0 as my alias.

I also like 3 letter aliases. It means I can put them in high scores of arcades. Plus it's almost never taken. On the downside, some sites don't allow 3-letter aliases so I have to use Dbzer0 then.

Unfortunately, lately a music band has come out with the name db0. Fortunately, seaching for Db0 on Google returns me wink

As for real names. I never liked the fact that I didn't get a chance to choose mine.

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
Moka is short for my surname...
I had a grade 1 (or maybe 2) teacher on my first day of that year call my name for roll call... It went something like "Matthew Mok-Mok-Moka-Moka-Mokalottaletters..." at that point the entire class cracked up, he then said "Oh well, Moka will do" and it just stuck...

I love my nickname just because when I've introduced myself members of the opposite sex in the past, their usual response is "As in the coffee?..." which provided (and still would) a great segue way into "Wanna grab a coffee biggrin cool

Now I just hypnotize them with my Acrylic lol ubbloco

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

Page: