Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I had to get a new voter card and papers when I moved last year. I can't find it anywhere.
Actually I can't even recall receiving it.

And they won't let me vote without my registration information. frown

I'm hearing reports that there is a really low turn-out expected at the polls but this is a REALLY important election here.

So...I'm sad and have no idea what to do...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Relocate to Ireland. Noone votes here and it seems like a perfectly fine thing to do.

hug

Otherwise. Sit down and forget about it for a while. The biggest distraction when your looking for something is actually looking for it....

Love is the law.

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
You may have to sit this one out. Most places require a registration, or proof thereof, 30 days before the election takes place. Ironically, I'm in the same boat. I registered to vote last year when I applied for a new license at the DMV. But I never got my card either. Turns out I'm not registered to vote, and our election is also big this year. Virginia is voting on the gay marriage amendment as well as public officers

You could try to vote by absentee ballot. But I have a feeling you'd be turned away at the actual polling place.

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
last year i registered at the polling place because they lost my info and i never got the card

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Prom, it's a big one nationally due to the whole vote tipping the balance in Senate and Congress. (lookit me being political-like).

FiF...I was thinking of trying that. I dunno if they will allow me though. I am not even sure where the voting place is in this area.

Prom, we will just have to call one another and cry on each others shoulder. wink

Pele

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
At least you're in New York and not a swing state. shrug

I vote absentee.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

At least you're in New York and not a swing state. shrug

I vote absentee.

I thought it was too late for absentee.

And true 'nuff.
If I could vote from a swing state, I completely would! *cough*Virginia*cough*

Pele

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
You need a card to prove you can vote? I don't get it redface isn't your name just on the list of electors in your electorate?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
is a bit different here, rougie... cos we (legally) HAVE to vote...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
but we still have to enrol to get our name on the list. so there's still a giant list of people you get your name marked off from.

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
exactly... I've never filled out a piece of paper for the electoral commission, but still manage to track me down everywhere I go... **ssshhh, they have spies everywhere**

I'm guessing they cross-reference with dept of transport etc when you change address on your licence.

but in other countries, like the U.S, they don't care if you vote or not, so such lists are not necessary... hence the voter card

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pogo69

exactly... I've never filled out a piece of paper for the electoral commission, but still manage to track me down everywhere I go... **ssshhh, they have spies everywhere**

I'm guessing they cross-reference with dept of transport etc when you change address on your licence.

but in other countries, like the U.S, they don't care if you vote or not, so such lists are not necessary... hence the voter card

And stupid forms to fill out, and a need to fill out more every time you move and having a card to show you can vote...usually with id.

It's stupid and beyond fallible, but I really wanna!!!
*stomps foot and pouts*

Pele

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
I would suggest calling the local republican reps office, and explain the problem. Let them fix it for you, and drive you to the voting station, then vote democrat. lol

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: BansheeCat

I would suggest calling the local republican reps office, and explain the problem. Let them fix it for you, and drive you to the voting station, then vote democrat. lol

ubblol

That's funny.
Wouldn't work but it's very funny to think about.

Pele

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Around here, you don't absolutely need your voter registration card to vote. The polling places will allow you to vote if you have proper ID (such as a valid driver's license) which shows your addy so they can match that to what they have on file. Things will go quicker if you can find the card, but it is NOT mandatory to have it.

Edited to add: You might be able to find your polling location either in today's paper or the county clerk's website for your county. In my county, these are organized by your precint number (which is on that pesky ID card you don't have), but each polling place should be able to direct you to the correct one if you choose wrong initially. I'd start by going to the one that is closest to your residence.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Drat. wink
Odd thing is, here in Canada, it would work! The various parties do whatever they can to make sure their supporters will get a chance to vote. But we dont have cards to worry about, just registration and appropriate id and all that.

The reps will pick you up and give you a lift to the station and everything if you ask!( and can stand the attempts at indocrination along the way)

Hope it works out for you one way or another!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I found my polling site on a .gov thing this morning.
I took my id's down and tried.
They wouldn't let me.

I tried at least.

*le sigh*

Pele

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
keep trying! keep annoying them! then maybe cry! devil

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

I found my polling site on a .gov thing this morning.
I took my id's down and tried.
They wouldn't let me.

I tried at least.

*le sigh*

And you know what they say: "If you didn't vote, don't complain." Might as well lock your HoP account now. wink

I voted. Was one of only 97 in my district by 6PM.

Which means my vote counted way more. biggrin And I get to complain extra. bounce

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
How does your vote count more? confused

or are you being your usual smarty-pants self?

I can't tell frown

maybe i should stop trying to understand american politics shrug

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
just stop trying to understand politics at all, rougie... it can lead to no good...

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
I went...voted.....can I bitch now? umm

I HATE governmental politics!!!

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

And you know what they say: "If you didn't vote, don't complain." Might as well lock your HoP account now. wink

I voted. Was one of only 97 in my district by 6PM.

Which means my vote counted way more. biggrin And I get to complain extra. bounce

Bull...I get to complain all I want. I even tried.

What gets me is for a country that complains about voter turnout...they turn people away. My name was on the list as a voter but without my card saying I could vote *there* they wouldn't let me.

So yes, I have the right to complain all I want NYC. tongue

97 huh? Man. That's sad. Good on you though.

Pele

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
how do you know that 97 people voted in your area?

Genuinely curious - as I wouldn't know how many people had voted before me if I went to my local polling booth...I wouldn't know how many valid votes had been cast til counting time confused

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
You can sneakily look and see what number card you get.

I wasn't so sneaky but my sneaky neighbor was.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

97 huh? Man. That's sad.

Sad that 97 people didn't lose their voter cards?

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
you just needed the id by me-no card
still elected stupid doyle grrrr

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Pele, I think each state has different ways of doing things. At my polling location, if your name was on the list, and you had some form of ID (a drivers license, SS card, or even a birth certificate), you were allowed to vote. I watched 2 people in front of me only provide their driver's licenses, and they were allowed to vote.

I learned yesterday that there are 6 states that allow voters to register on the day of the elections (Minnesota is one of them), and I thought this was a wonderful thing. I also saw 2 people yesterday who had not registered (they thought they registered when they got their drivers license, but in TX, that is not the case) and were thus turned away. One of them was a 52 year old man who was trying to vote for his very first time, so having the ability to register to vote at your polling place and still be able to vote would be wonderful.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
In my polling station you didn't need any id at all. Unless your name specifically said "ID Required."

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
NYC, really? How'd they know it was you then? (I know, your rep preceeds you! tongue )

The ones here they want your voter card and an id.

I like the ability to reg at the locale too Spritie. I think it is FABULOUS!

Pele

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
 Written by: spritie

...I also saw 2 people yesterday who had not registered (they thought they registered when they got their drivers license, but in TX, that is not the case) and were thus turned away.

That was my problem as well. My girlfriend, who registered at the DMV just like me, and actually got on the registrar, didn't want to vote! Grrr. D'oh, bitter irony frown She heard about it from a few people, including me.

Despite my not being able to vote, the House and quite possibly the Senate (they're still counting votes as of right now) are no longer under Republican control. Whether that's a good thing or a great thing remains to be seen. So I'm fairly happy. But with the closeness of our state's Senatorial race, every vote really does count. Last I saw it was a difference of only 700 votes.

Pele, gimmie a buzz and we'll have a good cry over all this political nonsense. Then we can laugh at them. biggrin

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Page: