Page:
georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
maybe not quite the right area for this but one of the mods will over-rule the stoopid admin guy if necessary!

I haven't seen any talk about the calendar competion we launched last week so maybe it has been missed? or there's no interest frown
Anyway, we figured it would appeal to all those spinners that for whatever reason can't put together a COL video so I hope we were right!

Are people planning those winning shots yet? or are you waiting for the details/upload page to appear?

PAW 1 https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/photo_calendar.php

cheers
George

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
other toys are allowed - hoop, flags, etc. - "spinning and twirling". Fire is not a prerequisite at all. Other fire toys are probably fine if they fall into the "spinning and twirling" category - except as for COL there is No firebreathing.

If you want to be more specific, ask away!

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Hana4BRONZE Member
burner
90 posts

Posted:
Well I've submitted a pic called "Night of the Burn, Burning Man, Nevada" and it shows my partner doing a hold with a burning "wheel". We use "wheels" in our shows all the time and technically they do spin. I LOVE the shot and think it's stunning but I don't want to waste a submission on a piece of equipment that technically isn't "spinning and twirling" (although in reality it does spin like a wheel).

Can you have a look at the pic and tell me if it would be discounted on that technicality?

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
I saw that pic and think it's great. I would definitely say it qualifies but understand why you'd want to check.

grin

Hana4BRONZE Member
burner
90 posts

Posted:
thanks ubbrollsmile

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Contact juggling, yay or nay?

It's not technically spinning, or twirling, or fire...

ubbangel

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
LTC - refer answer to Durbs' question about acrylics on P1 - basically if it looks like an internationally recognisable location with object manipulation calendar pic then you should submit it. You can't win with no entry...

grin

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Hooray for the extension, gave us chance to re-shoot after everything had come out totally out of focus before running off to PLaY smile

(Spanner's idea and photo, I just span and brought the toys)

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
and it looks good too Yakumo! smile

For everyone else in the same position, voting will automatically be enabled this Sunday the 12th Aug and ends 16 Sep. BUT new entries can still be submitted right up until the end of voting. It just means that late entries may miss out on some potential votes.

Some good photo's submitted so far (as well as some which may be good fire photo's but without any visible landmarks, are not exactly like we are looking for).

George

grin

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Really I'm all for PLUR but the least you can do when entering a competition is read the rules, especially just before submitting an entry..

any chance someone could add a comments function to the entries, or is that being saved till voting?

MojojoGOLD Member
wandering dingo
167 posts

Posted:
I see the voting button has appeared now, Yay! Is there any limit to the number of votes people can make? ie, can I just sit there all day long voting for my own photos, or my friends photos... cos that hardly seems fair!

Only three things are certain: Death, Taxes, and that England will not win back the Ashes in this lifetime.

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
Try it and see what happens!! wink

Good to see that some people might have been playing "sneaky buggers" holding off entry until the last minute so someone else doesn't steal the idea??!! Some good "last minute" entries submitted.
But entries can still be submitted right up until the end of voting, so there's still time...

Voting rules:
You can vote for any number of entries you like (you can vote for all of them if you want)! But only one vote per media entry will be allowed via IP address (Multiple members at same IP address can still vote seperately but must log in) No limit on how many different entries you can vote for. i.e you could pick your top 3, only one, or your best 24 entries

Only total votes in the competition are shown. i.e. not shown for each entry - so you won't be able to tell who's "winning"!!

grin

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hmm... Is it just me, or does the order of the entries keep jumping about when they're viewed?

Getting to the other side smile

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
it's not just you spanner and i have been complaining about that for days to each other since we started looking.

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
Clare, Yakumo, Spanner; ok we changed it. It might have seemed random but there was some logic behind it biggrin
We didn't want to have the same picture at the top of the list all the time as we thought it might give a voting advantage to the top of the list entry. The pictures were being ordered by how many times they had been viewed in order to try and get around this, but we realised that this was proving a pain for knowing which ones you had or hadn't seen.

So now they are ordered by when they were uploaded with the most recent at the top. Make sure you check them all out before voting rather than just voting for the top of the list! There's some quite good ones in there.

cheers
George

grin

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
cool, ordering by no of views would have biased it far more smile

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
ok, I have a photo I want to submit... but i've misplaced my damn camera with it on (currently turning house upside down in search for missing camera + sim card with yet to be uploaded pics on)

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
I just checked the photos. A lot of nice ones. But a lot with no visible background. How does this go with the rules of the competition?

Point your toes.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I was thinking the same thing...

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
I've been gently pointing out to the submitters of such photo's the idea of the competition...

grin

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I'd been thinking about this for some time, and since the fire breathing pic was removed, expected some of the others to be also, as they may glean votes despite not being in line with the competition guidelines, I'd think most people would only flick through for a short while and vote on a couple before getting bored and moving on so to my mind it's important they only see valid entries, also as they may not bother reading the rules/guidelines any more than some of the entrants.

perhaps out of good will they could be automatically moved to the why spin photo competition where they would be better suited.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I have a pretty clear 1200 by 1600 image I want to enter: is that ok?

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
The fire breathing pic was removed by the person who entered it after I PMed them - as have one or 2 other people. We haven't edited or deleted any entries.
I understand what you're saying though.

LA - easiest way to find out is to post it and see - is the one you already entered or another?

grin

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
nope another one

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
ok, I've put it up..

addict
446 posts

Posted:
I think the competition organizers should do a bit more than gently reminding people of the guidelines. There's a lot of good fire photography submitted. But not many of them fill the "criteria". And what's the point of being able to vote for photos that atleast shouldn't end up in the calendar...?

Point your toes.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
*grump*

Ok... there's still new entries that don't have any tie in, at all, with the country they are from.

Lol... ok, I realise this is a bit sulky... but, about a third, if not half, of the entries uploaded don't show any country at all - and isn't that the point?

I mean, they are nice pictures... but we've all got nice, non-country specific, pictures.

Sulk sulk sulk, de sulk sulk.

wink

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Come to think of it my Cirque picture is non-country specific also. It was a cool [EDIT: The coolest ever!] place to spin for sure and it's a nice background and a moment for a picture. But.......

I think it's nice to upload a picture and have it ready for voting right away. But I'm not sure if it really works. Maybe you (the organizers of the competition) should just collect the pics first, then choose the best 20+ pics that meet the criteria and have people vote on them....
EDITED_BY: Antti_Everything (1187412451)

Point your toes.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yep... was thinking that Mr Antti...

(Your other pic is very lovely though biggrin)

Hope you're well mister
xx

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I dunno: the thing that I find a bit vague is saying that people should be able to recognise the place 'if they've been there' rather than choosing a landmark representative of a country.

I probably wouldn't have the two photos I put up otherwise. Both (I think) are recognisable if you've been to Yangshuo, but anyone who hasn't been there will be left going: ummmmm....right

I do have one photo that fulfills the criteria for sure, I've lost my camera usb cable so am having some problems uploading

vis a vis the entries, how about all the entries going to a storage spot online for filtering according to rules first, and then uploading the ones that meet the criteria day by day at the mods' leisure. That way, early entries still have an advantage but people have to meet the requirements for entry?

It also removes the chance of someone saying, 'why didn't my photo get through?' if it's in accordance with the rules its up, otherwise its not

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I think making it a landmark representative of a country is had, because then how do you determine "representative" but I'm in complete agreement with Guy and Clare with the number of photos that are just fire and nothing that can be seen in the background.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Page: