Login/Join to Participate

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Meg goes to her first conference

about geo-spatial mash-ups.

yeah, dull I know. But not really.

Mashups are where people take google maps and overlay extra information over the top, making it more useful.

Take for example: https://www.schoolmap.org.uk/

A site that links all the data on schools, league tables, government reports and such like, and displays them on a google map of britain. Not an insignificant task considering that the database that relates postcodes to latitude and longitudes (thou it's eastings and northings in the UK) is copyright and so he couldn't use it.

People already consider moving to be in the postcode of a better school for their kids. With the advent of things like nestoria https://www.nestoria.co.uk
that show you where properties for sale are... this will become a lot easier.

The information was always there, but relating it to a map makes it easy for us to understand and use.

MySociety.org https://www.mysociety.org/
is a cool bunch of guys that build really interesting websites related to the local community and politics and whatnot. https://www.mysociety.org/projects.php
has a list of their projects, PledgeBank being one of the most interesting ones.

backstage.bbc.co.uk

The bbc have sat up and taken notice of the latest technology and allow people to create custom websites based on content they provide, like weather reports, tv listings and news feeds. They're not quite sure where it's going, but with being able to download bbc program from youtube or stream them from the BBC site itself, enforcing the license fee is going to become harder and gather them less money. They're trying to make a center for innovation and for people to communicate so as to help generate new ideas.

Maybe if they opened up enough, their resources would help people detect propoganda and total falsehoods in journalism.

Made me remember this: https://laptop.org/

FreeThePostcode.org (you'll need a GPS) where you locate postcodes and help create a FREE postcode database of the UK.
or
https://www.npemap.org.uk/
Where you locate youself on a map and set the postcode that way. (no gps needed)

OpenStreetMap - people with GPS's upload traces of them as they drive / cycle / walk about and create open street maps for anybody to use... and without any of the fake roads or wrong names that Ordnance Survey use to detect copyright infringments of their maps. ( https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Copyright_Easter_Eggs
)

What do maps have to do with us? Well if I was non slack, I could screen scrape the user lists on HOP and try and match location titles to real locations, find the lat/long of that location and plot it on a google map. Then I might consider doing the same with Events, and then I'd have something interesting to view...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
mashups rock!

but be careful signing up to them - lots of mashups have some pretty dodgy privacy policies (if they have them at all)...

anything that links sites that you have to log into will require you to store your username and password for those services on the mashup site's server.

the mashup server is very likely much easier to hack than the linked services' servers so you are at a fairly high risk of loss of privacy...

i also seem to remember some dude revealing the potential problems these types of sites could pose by creating a 'subversive readers' mashup:

he linked google maps with amazon.com wishlists, showing the names and locations of all those people who have 'banned' books on their lists ubblol

lastly, be careful trusting data quality on mashups - the site owners rarely care for any kind of data integrity and most include no consistency checks for the information resources they are creating.

make sure you know where the data is coming from before trusting anything a mashup website claims...

other than that, mashups rock!

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
"mashup" - interesting term.

I was thniking of doing something similar with my travel-reports and intended "survival guides"... using google-earth and give ppl informations on places to go to meet other spinners, special events or simply POI (as in Points Of Interest)...

But I have little experience with GoogleEarth and do not know whether one simply can store all the waypoint/information, make it available to others and they simply put it over their own version of GE.

Is that what this is about?
Is it legal, to use GE information/maps w/o a license?

Input greatly appreciated

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Coleman:

Thanks for that. It's a bit of a tangent, but good to know about the security side.

in terms of data: Garbage in, garbage out, as always.

Go and look at the mysociety projects. I like them.

FireTom:

You can store a collection of google earth bookmarks as KML and give that to other people. They have to use google earth or KML converters to view them subsequently...

It's perfectly legal.

mash-up = very silly term from music mash-ups. What it really means is: putting two things together and getting something useful out. like much of life and software development.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
"What do maps have to do with us? Well if I was non slack, I could screen scrape the user lists on HOP and try and match location titles to real locations, find the lat/long of that location and plot it on a google map. Then I might consider doing the same with Events, and then I'd have something interesting to view... "

it's a wicked idea MCP however this worrys me in the way that from what i understand, is that in theory it's possible to trace a persons I.P. address and pin point their exact map reference that could then be overlaid over any map.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I'm not tracing their IP. They enter a location if they want to that appears under their name and avatar on each post. That's what I would trace.

So edin-borrow would be a location it couldn't find. Same for a large proportion of HOP I'd imagine...

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
redface Meg: KML??? umm

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
richee: eek

firetom: https://earth.google.com/kml/

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
freeware GIS = cool

there are some great freeware GIS tools online as well. depending on your proficiency with computers.......

good thread!! (but then i like doing GIS work)

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I'm glad you said that, cos one of the big boys at ordnance survey just sat there and took it, when the OSM guy did a presentation.

Stenography is for the win... they should have put some of that in the maps... like if you draw such and such a line, it goes through various letters of place names that make up ordance surveys name...

Good to know that ordance survey aren't as daft to make fake roads and such like. And it's not like OSM really care about precise road features like ordance survey does.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
cheers meg i had a look at the google kml page and ended up looking at google map mobile which ive now installed on my phone. Its well good, especially since i just moved to bristol and i don't know where i am half the time, its even got the satelite view option which is really useful.

Only problem is it uses loads of bandwidth (for a phone) which costs me a packet, dont suppose anyone knows of a good compression program that you can install on symbian phones? i've had a bit of a look around but i couldnt find anything decent.

"Don't do it naked!"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Sandy: have a look at this

Ive got it on my phone smile

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Thanks ucof that looks wicked but it isnt compatible with my phone yet frown

"Don't do it naked!"

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Spanner, does OS actually use the nearest holly tree as being the boundary marker in the case of a dispute or is that an urban myth? I also heard that the definition of a forest was that you had to be able to hide a platoon of soldiers in it.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Define "hide" wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/

One per tree...

OS were founded when we were preparing to invade france... so it wouldn't be so surprising...