Forums > Social Chat > Do you need your eyes to spin well? huh?

Login/Join to Participate

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
okay, it is beer o'clock, and I have already had one, but that new poll had me thinking. Is it really a requirement for your life that your eyes spin really well in their sockets? And should they spin around and around, or back into your head?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
hrmmm...... first of all, rozi, you understand that it means "do you need your eyes in order to be good at spinning random objects" right?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
quote:
And should they spin around and around, or back into your head?

ha ha ha, you crack me up

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Is it really Beer o'clock?

My watch must've stopped. It seems to say Half past small selection of cookies and a nice cup of coffee....

Meh

DaiTenshimember
104 posts

Posted:
As I am legally blind, my eyes are crappy anyways.

Haven't done it with fire yet, but I often just spin/practice with my eyes closed or even blindfolded. I use them to spin, just not so much as others. Still when it comes to fire, need to be able to find that damn lit stick if I drop it, and grab it in the right place to boot ^___^

No one knows me like I do.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
If you aim for half way between the two hot burny places then you won't go far wrong.

Meh

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by C@ntus:
[QB] Is it really Beer o'clock?
/QB]
It's allways Beer'O'Clock........
Allways...............

I like Fire.. :)

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
it's all a matter of physics and quick body movements and knowing were the poi are when they are swinging around you...
I spin better with my eyes are closed...

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
I also tend to spin better with my eyes closed,I think it takes away the little voice that says LOOK OUT !!!That thing is about to hit you .

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
that little voice likes to be known as sanity! then i am talking on a board of ppl who spin flaming objects around themselves maybe it is somthing laking round here (me included of choarse)

lets all close are eyes and shut of that voice for good

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You know, we just got done with our opthalmology mini-sequence, so I know more about eye movements than any normal preson really ever should (not that I'm accusing myself of being normal, mind you ).

Here are some fun facts:

There are four basic types of eye movements:

1) Vestibulo-ocular: This is what keeps your eyes pointing the same direction when your head moves. Try looking at a spot across the room and shaking your head back and forth slowly. Now speed up and see how vigorously you have to shake your head before the image starts to jerk around. This is an especially useful reflex to have when you are driving or otherwise moving around.

2) Saccadic: This is how your eyes move when you are looking at one target and then want to shift your attention to another target. Your eyes jump to the new target. Also, as a function of the vestibulo-ocular reflex, as you turn your head, your eyes fixate on a single point. Once your head has turned past the point where your eyes can fixate, your eyes will jump back to center and you will fixate on another point and repeat the process.

3) Accommodation: Try this one on a friend. Have your friend follow your finger with his or her eyes while holding his or her head still. Then put your finger right in front of their face and move it inwards (towards their nose). The eyes will converge (point towards each-other) and the pupils will constrict. Accommodation is used to switch between targets at different distances.

4) Pursuit: Pursuit is when you follow a moving target with your eyes. In this type of movement, the eyes move smoothly and consensually (together). Most people find it difficult, if not impossible, to use pursuit movements without a target to follow.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Jackelero, not always man, sometimes it is beer:thirty

I have found it is interesting to spoin with eyes shut. You have to feel the poi! It isn't to hard once poi is already a reflex.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
It's waaay past beer-time - couldn't squeeze another one down if I tried

Lightning - you've got to learn to leave your lecture notes at home and focus on your beer more - hate to see you go all

Have a swift half on me

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
haven't you guys figured out it's waaaay better if you take one eye OUT and put it on a chair in front of you? better than a mirror!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
certainly more compact and easy for the purposes of travelling Arashi

Meh

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
certainly...

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
I dunno, I have kinda a fascination with the fire and I just like to look at it while I'm spinning because it's pretty Honest!

I think a good poll would be "do you let your mouth drop open when you spin."

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Matthew_NeSILVER Member
Northeast USA Firespinner
122 posts

Posted:
If you spin alone this might be ok.. but it won't necessarily work if you're in the middle of a rave.. spinning glow on 3' chain... yes.. I said 3', and I'm proud of it. But on another note, I do sometimes close my eyes when I'm spinning fire.. feels like I'm ::in the zone::

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ok to be boring and on topic...

I think you need eyes if you are going to critique your own twirling.

I reckon its pretty hard to get locked on technique without ever seeing your own twirling...

Josh