Forums > Social Chat > Current Poll: Would longer arms make you a better spinner?

Login/Join to Participate

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Or multiple elbows like Dom.

Meh

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Geez does a duck swim in water? Those damn btb moves would be so much easier if I just had a couple more inches on the forearms rather than the short stubby cannons I have now.That's one of the first things I noticed about Dom when I saw him last year was that he is skinny and tall with long arms.

Though I must have missed the multiple elbows.I wonder where he was hiding them?

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
That freaking low fountain is crazy to do without long arms. I keep hitting my leg, and I have long arms!

Yesh, I think long arms is good. But if you have short ones, you can have shorter poi and under the leg moves are niftier that way.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Do long arms make me a better spinner? No.

Do long arms make it easier for me to do fancy behind the back and round the front (BTBARTF) moves? Yep.

It's possible that someone with ickle arms doing no BTB stuff can spin and flow better than me doing BTBARTF moves with Mr Tickle arms. In fact it's more likely they'll look better as I just look gangly when I spin, which is the only thing I notice when I see myslef spin

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
I'd run with double jointed limbs too.....

Since the length of your poi should be relevant to your own arm length and the style you like to do, long arms don't make a good twirler.

twirlywhirlyfiregirlie (nancy)member
78 posts

Posted:
i agree with dom longer arms would just make it easier to do fancey showyoffy things like a 300 beat weave behind the back maybe i exadgerated a tad here but u get my point... although i would pay to see someone with REALLY long arms just wafting them around spinning poi the thought makes me chuckle

Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
does this picture shed any light on this subject?

Non-Https Image Link

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
No. That's just a couple of tomatoes. And they don't even have arms.

Tyr again..........

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
good subject.
I totally agree with dom, the long arms has its advantages only.
but then its down to the technicalities of the spinner to really see if it is beneficial to have long arms, we all dom, we've all probably met him on his travels, but, dom is an incrediable spinner, however much he will disagree with that coment, and with this he can subsequently use his long arms to his advantage.
until you become more involved with the technicalities of what you can learn from poi and what it can do for you, this knowledge is useless, but every one i hope will get to the stage of discovering that that BTB waist wrap is infact easier than you first ever imagined.
learning these kind of technical moves, is all about you and your body only not the poi. so having short arms like myself isnt a disadvantage at all, i just learned what i need to do with my own body in order to suffer discomforting positions and movements and transform them to comfortable and be able to do them with ease and freedom to move in those positions.

Kinudin, are you refering to the low mill? rather than lower fountain, as the low fountain is just 3beat forwards to 3 beat cross and follow on a wall plane.
discuss this in moves if you want to reply.

3,638 posts

Posted:
double post - only one minute time lapse though

3,638 posts

Posted:
triple? eh?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Would long arms make you a better spinner?

Not if you use your feet.

And it depends how long. If they were a few hundred metres then they'd get in the way too much. Although you could do a wicked giant windmill/butterfly though.

But essentially its down to how you look. Long arms would give you an advantage for certain technical tricks you'd find harder with short arms, but it don't mean a thing if you ain't got that swing.

Limb measurement hasn't much to do with grace, poise or fluidity. And when i go at people spinning, then thats what i'm :eek:ing about.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
I would prefer longer legs to longer arms - makes it easier for between the legs stuff which I find very difficult. Of course, I'm sure I would be able to do the btl stuff if only I wasn't so scared of falling over and practiced more!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
the main thing i like about having long arms is the difference in circle size between wrist circles, arm circles and full arm circles.

i think (like pk has said) btb stuff is more a matter of body positioning than long arms - i was looking at some of the old clubswinging books and the guys in the pictures often have huge chests, biceps and forearms but are shown doing all the full waistwrap stuff...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Not at all. They would just make it hard for me to wear some of the sleeved clothing I like.
My arm length has no bearing on my spinning, to tell you the truth. Now my arm flexibility, that is a whoooole different discussion!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Longer arms would just make me an orangutan.

I already have the allover orange bodyhair and hands where my feet should be

[ 06. March 2003, 13:03: Message edited by: TheBovrilMonkey ]

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
I prefer to have shorter arms, especially when I'm using my stupid sized fire ropes.

I can do most btb moves anyway, but having shorter arms doesn't make it harder, (just possibly slightly more impressive to the untrained eye).

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
If I had longer arms I'd be too busy falling over them all the time.

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Would having longer arms increase the possibility of me being Dom? Cuz that would totally change my answer.

Then again, I love being short. I never hit my head on anything, I can fit comfortably in any car or airplane, my feet don't hang off smaller beds, I can hide and scurry much more easily.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
Amen to that

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I might be able to do BTB moves then...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
this is one of those theories that is almost imposible to test. unless you wantto undergo elective surg.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Would longer arms not make BTB stuff harder? If you had ittle stubby T-rex arms (and double jointed shoulders) then BTB weaves would be a great deal easier - wouldn't they?

Meh

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
C@ntus, it is 4:30 in the morning in England. Go to bed.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:

Then again, I love being short. I never hit my head on anything, I can fit comfortably in any car or airplane, my feet don't hang off smaller beds, I can hide and scurry much more easily.
It also helps that you weigh ten pounds soaking wet.

thisboysetsfiremember
45 posts

Posted:
i am a spinner, and i dont have particularly long arms, but i do feel that full use of my wrists helps alot, and being able to catch with your hands in close proximity, whilst spinning,if your talking about staff that is

from a very mellow

this boy sets fire

Mike Buggins