Forums > Social Chat > Trivial questions that bug you at 3am when you can't sleep....

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:

Last night I was laying awake at 3am snuggled under my duvet waiting for sleep to come, all in vain. Why? Because my head was full of stupid questions. Ones that normally might just flick through your head and go away, but for some reason at 3am they just keep on nagging at you. So this morning I decided to try and find out the answers to some of them. Google helped out on a few but some I still didn't get answers that seemed right to me, or any answer at all, so I thought you lot might like to help out with the answers.

Feel free to ask some of your own 3am niggling questions too.

1. Where does the water come from that is in the taps in public toilets that have the "This is not drinking water" sign above them, when the tap next to them has the sign "Drinking Water"? Why don't all the taps have the same water supply?

2. Is there a reason keys J,F & 5 on a keyboard of computers/phones have a raised bump? I used to think it was solely to aid touch typists and blind people to tell where their fingers are on the keys but now I'm not so sure because on my mobile instead of a raised bump you can feel on the 5 key there is just a little light.... That would be of no help to someone blind surely.

3. Where do Crane flies (daddy longlegs) hide all year? In the autumn you see squillions of them, but for the rest of the year none. Is it because they are in a larval state over winter, spring and summer? But that would be silly because that adults live on nectar and surely there is more nectar around in summer when there are more flowers about.

4.Why do remote controls for vcr/dvd/cd/md players have an eject bitton on them? Surely if you are ejecting the disc/tape you'll have to walk up to the player to take it out and put another one in so you can press the button on the player.

5. Are washable nappies really more enviromentally friendly that disposable. All the electricity used in washing them and all the detergents it takes to get them clean must have some impact on the enviroment.

6. How does the internet really work? Could it ever just be switched off?

Ok that's all the ones I can remember for now. All attemps to answer any or all of these will be gratefully received (even the stupid ones ubblol )

hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
ok... I can answer 4)

a remote control has an eject button, so that I can eject a cd/dvd while still seated and get one of my kids to bring me the newly ejected disc. isaac (6) is still learning how to read, so he doesn't know which buttons to push (actually he does now, but he didn't a year ago), but he can grab the disc and hand it to me... biggrin

so in essence... it's for lazy parents...!! wink

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I can do number 1.

It because the drinking water tap comes direct from the pipe, but the non-drinking water comes from the tank thats open to have allsorts (dead rats, etc) in it.

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
But I guess really my question on that one Dave is why? Why not just have all the taps come of an in pipe and not have a tank that surely gets filled from an inpipe inbetween the in pipe and the taps?

Pogo thats just lazy! spank ubblol

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I can answer number 2- i did typing at college!
J and F are your "key keys" or finger keys or something.
Basically your index fingers should rest on J and F, smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Skulduggery

I've never made any secret of that... rolleyes ubblol

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
He works 20 hours a day, he can't walk to the vcr!! hug

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
ubblol thx, birgit... hug

another reason to stop working so much (as if I needed another)... it's getting in the way of my extreme laziness...

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pogo69

I've never made any secret of that... rolleyes ubblol

Yes I know and I just took the opportunity to spank you for it! Never let an opportunity pass you by, as they say biggrin ubblol tongue

Written by: Jo the gorgeous one

I can answer number 2- i did typing at college!

J and F are your "key keys" or finger keys or something.

Basically your index fingers should rest on J and F

Yes, but are they for anything else? Why does my phone only have a tiny light on the 5 and no raised bump?

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hey, just because Jon's away doesn't mean you can just spank all other guys instead! ubblol

On second thoughts, why not biggrin (sorry, Pogo, female solidarity and all that...)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
i have a question...

WHY does the 24 hour garage sell alcohol... wouldnt that encourage people to drink and drive?

bugs me every time i go in...

Seabadgermember
25 posts

Posted:
5) no they aren't really more environmentally friendly. I think they are actually about equal. Just dammage the environment in different ways.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

Yes, but are they for anything else? Why does my phone only have a tiny light on the 5 and no raised bump?

I got two ideas.

1) It is tactlie. I can feel a subtle difference that I'm sure that a blind person would be able to detect.

2) If you have impeeded vision you can def tell which one the 5 is. Squint, blurr your eyes til you can't see the keyboard of the phone. You can still tell the 5 by the light.

Just guessing though.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by: skully

Yes I know and I just took the opportunity to spank you for it! Never let an opportunity pass you by, as they say

wOOT!! bounce

Written by: birgit

On second thoughts, why not (sorry, Pogo, female solidarity and all that...)

tongue I'm not complaining...

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:

The Internet - As Only Wikipedia Could Answer

Anymore, I don't think you could actually just switch off the internet unless you did something quite explode-a-rific. Or, unless you bought it off of eBay.

I've been wondering, though, about Crane Flies, I was more wondering the same thing about Harvestmen. Where the hell do they all come from all of a sudden? And why do they have an obsession with my car? Everytime I go into my car, one of them jumps out like a ninja assasins coming to kill me.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Re question 2, my mobile has raised bumps similar to a keyboard on either side of the number 5 key. But a friend's phone (conveniently and accidentally left at my place yesterday) has no bumps and no light.

I guess it depends on what make and what model.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Whilst awake last night I thought about the toilet taps one more and I'm begining to think its a water pressure thing. Mains tap water is supplied at around 2 bars (I think) and the more taps that are open at the same time the pressure at each tap will drop until, if there are enough taps in a row the one at the end would not receive any water. Maybe the header tank prevents that happening?

Another question that came to me was, is it true that shark never sleep? I don't mean lay on the bottom and doze under a seaweed blanket, I know they have to keep moving at all times or they drown. What I mean is do they have a brain that can keep them swimming whilst the rest of it switches off and sleeps, or do they just not need sleep?

Thanks for the replies people grouphug

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
sleep in animals can very different to our idea of sleep.

sharks are fish and it is not clear if fish require sleep like mammals birds and reptiles do.

dolphins sleep in a weird fashion - its suspected that only half of their brain sleeps at a time.

birds' muscles don't relax like they do in other animals during sleep which means they can stay perched or floating on water while sleeping (which they only do for about 2-3 minutes at a time).

some birds are even thought to sleep during flight.

you have a light on your number five so its easy to find the centre of the keypad in the dark.

you have bumps on your keyboard so that when you learn to touch type, you can orient your fingers easily.

crane fly hide in the mud all year as larvae.
there are lots of different types.
some of them eat grass and plants: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0206/leatherjackets.asp

washable nappies are much more environmentally friendly if you boil wash them once a day with very little detergent.

eject buttons on remote controls are handy when the button on the unit breaks.
or when your friend is changing the cd but doesn't know what buttons to press on your stereo.
also handy for resetting a dvd player when it goes funny.

my silly question is: what sort of person would even consider watching david cameron's video blog?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I'm sure this isn't the case in public toilets, but where I work the water comes from our own borehole supply,
and needs to go through a sterilizer before it's 'safe' to drink ( I used to drink it all the time as a kid and I was never ill) so.. we only run a sterilizer on the pipes that are going to be drinking water, as it's cheaper.

And yes, craneflies are in their larval form all winter-spring-most-of-summer. the food it can get in the adult form is not so important for their overall survival as the food the larvae can get.
In fact, some species don't feed at all as an adult, and the ones that do only get a few extra days of life out of it.
Far better if they spend the part of the year when food is most abundant in the form where they can get most use from it.

So there.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
dose anyone know if a zebra is black with white stripes or white with black stripes??? ubblol

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Cole- The Oracle

wink

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
6) Im pretty sure daddy longlegs dont eat! The larva eat loads then pupate and emerge as daddy longlegs which live for only about 5 days to reproduce and then die, they dont eat during this period of their lifecyle afaik, tho i could be wrong

SezzieSILVER Member
journeyman
54 posts

Posted:
5) The Environment Agency in the UK did a big study on disposable nappies versus washable ones and basically came to the conclusion that there wasn't much difference when you factored in the energy needed to wash them etc.. The results were fairly controversial though as the study was based on people washing them in their home and didn't consider the energy savings of bulk washing etc done by the environmental re-usable nappy companies that are around.

Life moves pretty fast and if you don't stop and look around once in a while you just might miss it!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kathain_Bowen

The Internet - As Only Wikipedia Could Answer

Anymore, I don't think you could actually just switch off the internet unless you did something quite explode-a-rific. Or, unless you bought it off of eBay.

Neeto to see the internet explained on the internet.

I actually clicked on this link about internet censorship and found it very interesting. Especially to see what governments are restricting what kinds of internet sites. Crazy stuff. No BBC in China and practially no internet at all in Cuba. What the heck do those people do at work? Probably just bring a deck of cards and play solitaire manually.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Seabadgermember
25 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Motley

6) Im pretty sure daddy longlegs dont eat! The larva eat loads then pupate and emerge as daddy longlegs which live for only about 5 days to reproduce and then die, they dont eat during this period of their lifecyle afaik, tho i could be wrong

I think your right, If I remember correctly (which I may not) they actually have no mouth and so can't eat.

As for the whole water thing I enquired into this today, the drinking tap often comes strait off the mains and so is safe to drink.
The tap for hand washing will come from a large water tank. This means that even when there is a problem with water supply there will still be hand washing water but becasue it sits arround in that big tank germs 'sort of gather' so it isn't safe to drink.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
5) It depends on the washing method and which disposable's you compare them too. It's a very vague science tho mostly because of the lack of exact data from all the various and sundry manufacturers and their differing methods of total supply from raw materials to end consumer purchase. I wrote a hugh post for the discussion forum about it once but got to around 1000 words,realised I was half way through and gave up.

But the factors involved as I saw them are:

Washable:
Detergent type (biodegradable, and what the life of the degradation actually is, pollution caused on the way)
Manufacture efficiencies (from cotton pulling to transport to sewing, machine efficiencies etc)
Washing method (bulk, machine, hand, pre soak, total soak)
Drying method (tumble, spinning, bulk, natural)

Dispoable:
Dispoing method and damage caused: ie is landfill better than the end of your garden? Surprisingly they will rot quicker in a normal garden due to the greater amount of biological entities around them, unlike landfill where there are far fewer bugs etc to help kickstart and complete the biodegrading process
Manufacture efficiencies (raw material inc oil drilling for plastics, transport, which is far greater when divided into the end product that is only used once instead of hundreds, ney thousands of times)

Now there's also a totally 100% biodegradable nappy available that's made from 100% renewable sources. This throws a whole new mix into the question, especially if the manufacturing technologies are highly efficient and cause little waste products.

There's also a million more factore I can't be bothered to go into now, see how I got to 1000 words!

Personally, we chose washable, at the time it was the soundest choice. We use very little detergent and will be using the same set of nappies for baby number two. When that one is finished using them we will sell them to another family who can then use them for the life of many other babies, which massivly reduces the environmental cost per nappy.

And after all that it doesn't answer your question at all but it does give you way more to think about at 3am wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Dunc have you seen these
laundry balls
My brother uses these and they are brilliant. Very little dodgy suds produced so much better. Initail outlay is a bit heavy but no having to spoon out detergent, also no helper putting $40 of detergent in a wash like we had one time wink

Non-Https Image Link

The balls last ages and ages so work out to be fair value.

These are an online shop
Chi Clean

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

UnclassifiedLeggyGirlBRONZE Member
One day penguins will take over the world
916 posts

Posted:
my question is why do parents tell you to grow up and become more mature etc. yet when you do, they tell you not to be in a rush to grow up?

another one (which everybody else probably knows, but i dont): how do they get them ships into the glass bottles?!

ummmm...........anybody have any suggestions as to what i can put here?!

mjk is monitoring your interwebs!

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
the nappy thing is like every eco dilemma. but i would say that washable in the long run across many many sh1tting babies, probably works out more eco friendly, and like my mum did for years you can use them for all sorts of things after the pooing has stopped - polishing rags, mess mopperuppers etc etc... Also you can get eco friendly alternatives to detergent like those that Gnor has, and various others, and you can wash things in a sink... Probably the most eco option is to let your baby run free and just clean up after it, but then the house would get pretty smelly...

as for ships in glass bottles, doesn't it involve a match, or soemthing to suck out the oxygen and suck the boat in then once it's in there you raise the sails? i think that's what my grandad told me, he had a couple...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
i thought thats how they do it too... one way to find out - here

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
re water pressure...thats right skully.in big buildings the water in the wash basins and showers etc comes from a storage tank which (although fully sealed) is POTNETIALLY available to contamination, if nothing else its probably a bit stale anyways. the kitchen sinks and tank then are all fed from the mains to avoid a great reduction on pressure. and in fact in the UK (as i understand it) the water in your home is all served from the mains, however here in ireland we run the mains into a tank and distribute that round the house. thus reducing the pressure on the mains. and also. in the unlikely event of a drought each home has a reserve of 212litres (340 for any homes more than 3 bedrooms)

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

Page: