Forums > Social Discussion > Airport Security Tightens, UK 10/08/06

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
For those who don't know, or intend on flying out from the UK today...

16 men were arrested in connection with suspected terrorist activities today. The plan as such, to blow up explosives in the hand luggage midflight. Due to that, nearly every UK airport is on max security. Queues, for check-in and going through security gates galour. Also, changes to whats allowed in hand luggage has changed, and only the following items are allowed:

Written by: BTI UK Travel Alert

UK AIRPORTS BAGGAGE POLICY

Bulletin issued by BTI UK Travel Alert Service:

09.05 – 10 August 2006

Please be advised of the following development(s) that may impact your travel program:

Further to today’s national security alert at UK airports, the Department for Transport (DoT) has issued additional security measures. With immediate effect, the following arrangements apply to all passengers starting their journey at a UK airport and to those transferring between flights at a UK airport.

All cabin baggage must be processed as hold baggage and carried in the hold of passenger aircraft departing UK airports.

Passengers may take through the airport security search point, in a single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag, only the following items. Nothing may be carried in pockets:

-pocketsize wallets and pocket size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (not handbags));

-travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets);

-prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.

-spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.

-contact lens holders, without bottles of solution.

-for those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags).

-female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes).

-tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs

-keys (but no electrical key fobs)

All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be x-ray screened.

Pushchairs and walking aids must be x-ray screened, and only airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point.

In addition to the above, all passengers boarding flights to the USA and all the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, must be subjected to a secondary search at the boarding gate. Any liquids discovered must be removed from the passenger.

There are no changes to current hold baggage security measures.

Regrettably, significant delays at airports are inevitable. Passengers are being asked to allow themselves plenty of extra time and to ensure that other than the few permitted items listed above; all their belongings are placed in their hold baggage and checked in.

Thoughts anyone?

artindorilmember
117 posts

Posted:
just a wee bit scary.Heathrow is currently closed to all inbound flights that are not already airborn and Lufthansa have cancelled all their flights to the UK.

Also BAA are urging passengers to change plans that they currently have.

It just shows that the terrorists don't actually have to do anything, just threaten to and they can cause complete chaos in a countries economy. Since just the threat has had a major impact on the Uk's largest airport and one of the major airlines (BA) shares.

But it does make you wonder if there's something that we're not being told confused
EDITED_BY: artindoril (1155200058)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
scary stuff indeed - go mi5!

and i'm pretty sure it was more than just a threat - there have been no warnings of the previous attacks (probably because one of the main points of them is causing major loss of life).

some more updates:

the baa website has been taken offline but you can keep track of the airport closures here:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4778771.stm

its total crowd chaos at the major internationals, but if it means planes don't get blown up today, i'm all for it.

main news story:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4778575.stm

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Ye, Kudos goes to security on this one. They have *fingers crossed* stopped any bad stuff happening... And no ones been shot to achieve that goal. I just wonder how long we will be on "critical security level"...

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Some scary stuff!

My housemate is meant to be flying home from Boom today!

I'm guessing that his flight is postponed but his phone is dead as he's been in a field in Portugal for a week. I dont know whether to call his parents to see if his flight has already landed or if that might just worry them more?

Also if this has been confirmed for air travel I'd guess that we will also very soon have similar warnings for other forms of public transport.

We live in sad times frown

##Edit##

He got back early this morning smile but is meant to be flying from london to manc this afternoon rolleyes
EDITED_BY: Seye (1155202755)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
there's always some flipping mutherfather that has to ruin it for everyone. rolleyes

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
anyone know if those hand luggage regulations are planned to stay that way for a while, or is it just in response to the imminent threat? (flying next week)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

say_cheeseSILVER Member
Brown
288 posts

Posted:

Written by:

The Department for Transport

We hope that these measures, which are being kept under review by the government, will need to be in place for a limited period only.

Im guessing that they will be for a few weeks?? To pervent any loonies from planing to blow them selfs up?
EDITED_BY: say_cheese (1155205934)

Official Nutella Fan Club

Go Nutella!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Wait, so you can't bring any carry-ons aboard planes to England?

And what are diabetics to do, then? Check their insulin?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

And what are diabetics to do, then? Check their insulin?

Diabetic kit's on the list of allowed things...

(watching this thread closely, as I'm flying tomorrow morning... eek )

monkeys ate my brain

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
Wow. The list of security measures is frightening.

NYC and I flew from Edinburgh to New York yesterday and missed all the chaos.

I'm glad I'm staying for a good while and don't have to fly again anytime too soon.

Maybe I'll look into taking the boat next time.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
See, I hate these knee-jerk reactions. They're just a minor hurdle to a terrorist plot.

Adequate intelligence and security stopped this attack, not draconian measures like this.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
all the security checks going between coiuntries. who say we're not in 1984?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
all the security checks going between countries. who say we're not in 1984?

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
have just been watching it all, the actual alledged attack sounded more than horrendus, who knows what will actually happen next. wow i actually sound worried, which i am i guess. not for my own saftey but far too many lives are being lost already without anymore frown Humans really suck at times

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:

Adequate intelligence and security stopped this attack, not draconian measures like this.

eh? how d'you know that then?

notice that the bbc are using the phrase 'disrupted' when referring to the suspected attack which suggests to me that the threat has not been stopped outright.

from the very small amount of information released so far about the planned attack, i reckon its pretty safe to say that the security services are far from sure that they have everyone involved in custody.

the point is, we know bugger all.

for example, they may well have found traces of explosives or evidence of bomb-making but have not recovered any actual devices yet.

in that case, measures like this are absolutely necessary as a deterrent if we want air travel to continue at all.

all imho of course smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Well it says prescribed medication can be taken aboard if you can it "can be verified as authentic" or something like that.

So I take it I am to inject one of the officers with my insulin to see if he faints...? Will be interesting to see if they let me take glucose tablets or Lucozade, too.

I tend to not mention the stuff at all anymore because they never find anything wrong with it at the checks anyways (not once, and I fly quite regularly)... Easyjet once insisted on keeping it for the flight, sending a huge security guy in who kept asking for me (I was at the back of the plane and it's a no-allocated-seats thing, so by the time he got there everyone had realised there must be something wrong with me). The most annoying thing, they put sticky security tape on the bag so that it was sticky for days after...

On the positive side of things, finally no mobile phones on the plane and in the lounges biggrin
EDITED_BY: Birgit (1155216498)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
well thats just it we are on red/critical meaning they are expecting an attack

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Although is the US still on Orange?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

eh? how'd you know that then?

notice that the bbc are using the phrase 'disrupted' when referring to the suspected attack which suggests to me that the threat has not been stopped outright.

some people thought the long range bombs were sent by their very own government to keep people on their toes and greatful they were being "protected"

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
here ya go:

u.s. security level

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
my work security has gone berzerk, i work for BAE SYSTEMS and when stuff like this happens we go on majorly over the top alert. i mean, who really wants to blow up the worlds second largest aerospace and defence company? eek

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

Gremlin_Loumember
131 posts

Posted:
My parents are supposed to be flying back Saturday. Safe to say, slightly worried.

I can't get in contact with them, but i'm presuming they know. I don't even know who it is they are flying with.

I'm glad these security measures are there though, it might seem draconian, but if thats what it takes i'm allfor it

'If your deeds shouldn't be known, perhaps they shouldn't be done, if your words shouldn't be shared, perhaps they shouldn't be spoken. Act with attention, for all your acts have consequences" (Rabbi Judah HaNassi)

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

I have nothing good to say about this other than this sort of thing gets rolled out by 'intelligence' every so often to justify policy and legislation changes.

mark

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
that's not a good thing either marco ubblol

the official line on the increased security measures:

BBC home affairs correspondent Daniel Sandford said despite the arrests the threat level had been raised "in case there is some other sub-plot, back-up plot around this that the police aren't aware of".

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
I work for a Government Agency - and we get emails all the time about security levels. Overnight the Terorist Threat level in the UK was increased to "CRITICAL" eek but that it's just "Heightened" at the moment.

oooh feel so much better wink

scary times frown

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
current uk threat level

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
I would like to take this moment to say... [censored] terrorists angry ...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

scary stuff indeed - go mi5!

Indeed.

I mean, as 9/11 never happened and there really are no terrorists and this is all just the government wagging the dog you are all pawns of panic to keep you in fear so you won't think for yourselves.

[What? I'm just covering until the radical left wakes up. They must have been partying last night.]

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: marco

I have nothing good to say about this other than this sort of thing gets rolled out by 'intelligence' every so often to justify policy and legislation changes.

mark

Oh wait, nevermind. I missed that post. ubblol

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Gremlin_Loumember
131 posts

Posted:
Lol!

If its just the kind of thing thats gets rolled out, what about the 21 people wo have been arrested?

Actors?

Or, the July 7th attacks? Completely just rolled out. Total Fabrication.

Lou x

'If your deeds shouldn't be known, perhaps they shouldn't be done, if your words shouldn't be shared, perhaps they shouldn't be spoken. Act with attention, for all your acts have consequences" (Rabbi Judah HaNassi)

Page: ...