Page:
misturnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Hi all

I'm on a big french juggling forum and we have a big debat about spinning or swinging ?

for some people, spinning is for balle or plate rotation (on finger or stick) but not allow for using poi

spinning is used more and more by poi user instead of swinging which was more used before

I'd like to know what is your opinion about this :

shall we use spinning for poi juggler ?

thanks in advance

Yoann

edit : I'd like to but a poll, but forgot it so if a modo or and admin read this and could add it to this post thx smile

EDITED_BY: mistur (1153855042)

Jugglers, like programmers, handle objects which, at first sight, seem complex and difficult to control. Some of them, with time and patience, manage to control one or the other or both at the same time, and thus become aware of what they are doing.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: [noodles

]
Swinging involves a pendulam motion. Like a swing in a park. It goes forward up to a point then goes backward to a point.

Spinning involves rotations i.e full circles. Thus when I play with a staff or poi they are going in full circles (mostly) so I'm spinning.

I agree with this. I suspect that the 'original' types of motion that were used in what used to be called Indian Club Swinging were far more 'back and forward'.
These days the kinds of styles (have a look at Josh(Pyrolific's) video "Under the Bridge") is more 'spinning'. So you could say "I am spinning my clubs a lot in my new routine" to describe that this is the type of movement you are using.
You could also say "I am swinging my poi rather than spinning them"

I would say I was 'swinging' my poi rather than 'spinning' them if I was

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
but what if they're not going round and round OR back and forth? confused2

does that mean i'm not spinning OR swinging?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ditto

ubblol

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Ya Sim You'd just be standing there then eh. Holding yr balls in a sort of floppy sock.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

floppy sock.

ubblol *dances* floppy socks floppy socks!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i didn't say that either ms gabe tongue

what if they go up and down?

or in zigzags?

or trace the outline of the face of the immortal bard?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
or if im throwing knots into my poi?

ubblol

Page: