Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > can you identify this move in the video?

Login/Join to Participate

enjoymionewbie
4 posts

Posted:
hey guys, how's everything happening! yeah, i've been watching this video relentlessly and i've come across just a couple moves i can't understand much. if you could give me some advice and all... i'd give you my children.

( i found this video here, i don't know who he is, but he's fantabuloustic )

if you fastforward to about 1 min 40 seconds, he does this weird thing and then he spins around with the poi. i can sort of figure out out, like you bring the right poi to your left and your left poi to your right, and you spin and it brings it around. what's this move called? and how else can i use it?

i can sorta get it but the end is kinda iffy still. his arms are jutting out so much i can't quite get it.

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
I don't know if it has a name, I just call it the whirlwind. It starts with a crossed reel and ends with a crossed reel on the other side, then you can link them together. There are a few variations of this move as well. You can extend your arms to make a giant version, you can add extra beats or you can combine giants and extra beats to make flower whirlwind patterns.

Another similar move is done with the poi held near the neck, then you spin like crazy smile. Rovo has a couple vids showing off this move.

BTW, Zan (The guy in the video) will be releasing a tech poi DVD soon which should be pretty sweet.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
It stopped at 1:13 eek Wicked awesome spinning though, gotta try that through the legs corkscrew business.

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
its a through wrap, nothing more techy than a throughwrap with a pretty jump

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
that's a pretty cool vid, why he chose the worst musical ammompaniment I don't know.

Doesn't look like a thru wrap to me, just a turn but one hand is BTB? shrug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

enjoymionewbie
4 posts

Posted:
okay okay just to clarify:

reels: that's when you put extra circles in like your front and back or sides yeah?

crosser: right hand goes to the left side, left hand goes to the right side?

and the video you're talkin about, is that the one where you do a split time shoulder turn and you just turn like a mofo when you bring it up? haha

MarcusBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
mtbeer, have you got a link for those rovo vids - that is the exact move I've been trying to pull off tonight!

Cheers
MarcusG