Forums > Help! > Anyone been to Brunei?

Login/Join to Participate

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I'm probably going to be spending a weeks stopover in Brunei on the way out to Australia. Has anyone spent any time there, and could offer me any tips or advice?
I know nothing out the place, though I'm trying to look up as much as I can..

Anything would be great.. where to stay..what to do.. how much money to take.. smile

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
Bruny? you mean the small island close to mainland tasmania thats mostly inhabited by shacks and holiday homes and only has one police officer?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Not Bruny.... Brunei! biggrin

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Yes :P

Though..

I'm going to Aus as well...

If that's okay with you?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
oh, you should go to Bruny, its really chilled.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yes, I lived there as a kid but haven't been there for 5 years or so, but I can point you in a few directions.

I'll attempt to compose a full length, feature filled PM to send to you. It's an odd place to choose for a stopover but can be really good as it gives you access to some prime virgin rainforest, different culture and some great food!! Just that the nearest alcoholic drink is a boat ride away in Sabah!

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I didn't exactly choose it as a stopover, it's just that Royal Brunei was the cheapest airline...

I figure I can cope without a drink for a week, I'm fairly sure they sell beer in Australia biggrin

Any info would be great, thanks!

If that's okay with you?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Er, hope you're not leaving tomorrow! If I've not replied by tomorrow PM me with some friendly abuse!

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Probably going to be spending most of my time over the border in Sabah, by the looks of things- hotels is a bit too expensive for little skint me...
So.. anyone been to Sabah? smile

If that's okay with you?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Basically Brunei is a weird place to spend a week. It's an incredibly small country and getting around any other way than hire car really limits you. And it is relatively expensive compared to the rest of asia. But at least it's not over run by tourists, the ban on alcohol keeps the numbers down and on weekends the westerners in Brunei escape to Malaysian Miri or an island I forget the name of to get drunk! However I still think I've seen the most beautiful & deserted beaches in the world along the coast of Brunei & Malaysian Borneo - kilometres of empty beach lined with palm trees. And too amny sand flies!

If you're only passing through Brunei at least visit Kampong Ayer, the village built on stilts over the river. This place has enchanted me as a child and in later years as a great place for a wander round and getting a local boat taxi to give you a tour.

If you've got a car you can visit some amazing beaches and great rainforest but you probably will find it easier to go to Sabah or Sarawak. Lots of people go to Sabah for the rainforest, Orangutan Sancturies and Kota Kinabalu. But on the other side there's the beautiful Niah National Park, which is a mission to get to but beautiful. Dusk at the enterance to the massive Niah Caves is amazing, fireflies will dance as thousands of swifts flying home to roost whilst thousands of bats fly right past your face on the way out to hunt.

The rainforest of northern Borneo is dense and amazing. Unfortunately a lot of it in Malaysia is being logged, but there's a few national parks you can visit to avoid the depressing sight of masive logging trucks. If you were staying in Brunei then you can get to Temburong National Park which is good and has a great canopy walkway. Whichever way, get into the rainforest, even if you're skint think about when the next time you'll be in a Borneo rain forest will be! And no, rainforests in Oz are not the same! Different flora & fauna there.

And sample the food! Malay food is excellent. Spicy and really, really tasty! I've never gotten sick eating hot food off street stalls in Asia although I did get really, really ill at a nice resturant in Miri where the food wasn't as good as the local market. Tuck in and enjoy!!!

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Thanks! smile
I think I'm going to be fairly limited in where I can go (only a week, and I am NOT risking missing my plane on to Aus)
I did go to Peninsular Malaysia last year actually, my mouth is already watering at the thought of the food..
The place everyone goes to to get drunk isn't Pulau Labuan is it, by any chance? I think I'm going to be passing though sometime..

*is getting all excited at thought of trip* ubbrollsmile

If that's okay with you?