Forums > Social Chat > Should Saddam be removed at any cost? This weeks Poll

Login/Join to Participate

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New poll,
"Should saddam be removed at any cost?"
At the time of writing we got 93 votes.
and 20 of you said yes, saddam should be removed at any cost.

You 20 people, are you crazy, or are you not thinking.

at ANY cost.
AT ANY COST.

In war cost is not measured in dollers its measured in life.
human life.

Count the lives of your friends and family as the first to end. Then your own...
Has it got too expensive for you yet.

Peace

[ 07. February 2003, 23:31: Message edited by: glass ]

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
I voted yes.........but as SOON as i did it, i realised that i wasn't thinking properly about the question that had been put to me.
But i couldn't change my answer after that.
"AT ANY COST".......i don't think so. He needs removing but not at "ANY COST".
So you can scrub my vote out of the equation.
So i think that makes it 19 who voted yes....Wheather they ment to or not.
LOL
Taking it easy
Trippy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.
N.E.W.B. Agent #012
"I Got Soul"
Non-Https Image Link

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think he should be removed. Self-determination be damned. Those people have no self-determination. That's what dictators do; they make it almost impossible to overthrow them.

Having said that, ANY cost? Nuclear war?

No, some costs are too big to pay for that goal.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
the poll question was somewhat loaded i felt.
maybe it should have had more options like
'should sadam be removed... 1. at any cost, 2. by force, 3. not at all' and so on.

i'm wholly against a war not supported by the un which is why i'll be protesting on saturday week.
however, if the inspectors do find evidence against sadam, i'd like to hear all the hopper's suggestions of workable alternatives to removing him without a war...?

i'm currently pissed about the fact that mugabe is not banned by the eu any more and has since been invited to talks in paris.
its seems like the west's foreign policy is still massively skewed - there's no evidence that sadam is more of a threat to us than mugabe yet hussein has the oil so he gets ousted first.

what gwan?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
I almost checked I don't know until I re-read the question.He should be removed but not if the cost was something like a nuclear war.We can only go so far before we defeat the purpose of overthrowing him.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I do believe he should be removed at any cost. Even if that cost is not removing him, he should be removed.

Even if the cost is so great that it's clearly not worth it, I'm certain it's worth it.

Even if it means that we allow him to become the President of America and systematically execute every American in any way he choses, I think it's worth it.

Even if it means that he gets to rule the world in infinite power and we all must bow down to him while burning flags and constitutions of our own country and tatooing "I love Sadam" on our foreheads, I think it's worth it if he gives up his title of leader of Iraq.

Especially if my tax dollars get to pay for it all.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I check no. I dont care if I die, but I know that my death will hurt the people that I love and that love me. I dont want to hurt Rozi, I love her so much. If we could do it in a way that would keep everyone alive then I am all for it.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I hope there is some good material for good war movies if there is a way.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh snap... good call. I didn't think about all the cool war movies they'd be making. Hrm... Do I smell PS2 game?

Wait, can I change my vote? I'm for the war!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, I could find that really cold and offensive. I choose not to, so no need to apologise. But seriously, not good in context.

Used to be a big fan of war movies. I could sit there and be sarcastic about the Americans, or the English, point out the stereotypes, predict who the first person would be to die and secretly be affected by the contrived noble gestures etc etc. Then I would walk away to my quiet little peaceful lucky life and get on with it.

Can't do that any more. I watched Black Hawk Down with a friend of mine, and sat petrified on the sofa for the duration. It is all a little close to home right now, and not just because of Ray, but because it may happen right now.

BTW, I do think the poll was loaded, the issue is far more complicated than yes or no. It would give an unfair and oversimplified picture of the range of views held by people on this board.

Additional note: Hooray for the Aussie government who passed a motion of no confidence in John Howard for his handling of the despatch of troops to the middle east without consulting either parliament or the Australian people.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
No and it's gunna be hard to say what a high or low cost is cause when(if, sorry) they go in the cost of removing him won't be felt by the same people who might be affected if he stays in, has weapons and they get used by terrorists. Them or us seems to be the theme of the day. I know there's more to it but it's been dicussed a hundred times.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
(*Please scroll past this post, it's largely just a rant going over some shit most people are already thinking*)

It feels like it's cost this country its democracy already, but then maybe it's just emphasising the fact that this country's leaders don't care about the majority of public opinion any more and that once we vote for one of the 3 parties we no longer have a say.
Democracy is now just a facade to appease the masses, and it wouldn't work out even if there was a responsible bunch out there that had our interests at heart rather than just trying to win the next election.

On the other side, I suppose Iraq is currently a dangerous melting point. You have a leader that's been known to order massacres of his own people, and has weapons of mass destruction.....no wait...sorry can't prove that he hasn't got weapons of mass destruction (Good old innocent til proven guilty eh?), and a lot of religious extremists pissed off with us having all the power and wealth to boot (Like no-one saw this coming round again).....so to protect our families we're going to take away their power to challenge us.....which is apparently fair, just and democratic.....

Although Mugabes handling of Zimbabwe is obviously completely different.....I'm personally not sure how, but politicans have a much better grip on reality don't they???.....I mean we vote these people in and out of power don't we????....I mean these people who have enough time/wealth to be able to help run the country/petition good causes/spend half their lives in hotels must spend their free time going round trying to understand life, how people tick, how poor some peoples conditions are, how fucked up health and education is, how people can afford to live when they haven't had a pay rise in line with inflation in 20 years etc etc etc....I mean these are the people we're putting our future in the hands of.....they MUST know what they're talking about right???

Korea is also different no?, I mean nuclear reactors coming online willy-nilly isn't an excuse for a war is it?
Nuclear power is totally safe even in the hands of the people you fear most right?
Weapons rumoured to be kicking about are being hidden right? therefore they've got a much more sinister purpose in mind than the nuke power reactor which the US says wont produce hardly any power, to a country that doesn't have a particular shortage at the moment.....right?

(*Pauses to bang head against wall*)

OK, so my information may be outdated, ill-informed, and complete bollocks for all I know. I may just be acting completely stupidly, arrogantly, or whatever but my information is only fed through the media, which in turn is fed through a whole bunch of people who are ALL biased, and attempting to win support for their war. Maybe it's because I've been fed some much bullshit by these people that I know what it tastes like.......maybe I'm dreaming this whole experience and I'll wake up next to a cute blond chick who's rolling me a smoke......who cares.

We rant and bitch about it, but it's in the hands of a group of dictators and power hungry dick heads who don't seem to have a mind of their own............and some guys in Iraq........

It's cost us money
It's cost us time
It's cost us our faith in our leaders
It's cost our leaders the moral high ground that they were so eager to protect
It's currently costing me stress and my sanity
It'll cost us loved ones, far more money and the lives of many innocents (Including ours if they really do have nukes/bio-weapons)

It's cost too much already so obviously I'm going with a no on this one too......(*Slides it back on topic nicely*)

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

nigglebyleafmember
18 posts

Posted:
maybe George W Bush should be removed at any course, as an undemocratic leader, warmonger, exspansionist and a country that harbours 'weapons of mass destruction', make love not war as they say

nigglebyleafmember
18 posts

Posted:
maybe George W Bush should be removed at any cost, as an undemocratic leader, warmonger, exspansionist and a country that harbours 'weapons of mass destruction', make love not war as they say

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Personally (as I e-mailed Malcolm last night) I thought this weeks poll sucked.
I see no relevance to HoP whether "Sadam should be removed at all costs", not that all the polls have a relevance to HoP, but at least if they have no relevance, they are fun.
There are already raging debates about this (seems to mainly be Raymund vs rest of HoP tho) on HoP, so do we really need this poll?
I come to HoP for a bit of respite from this stuff, and to see what's happening in the spinners world, not to have a mis-spelt, loaded question poll about current political situations.
Bah!

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
I think that people ought to remember that Saddam is not at the root of the trouble here, merely the face of it. The UN had the capability to take Saddam from power at the end of the last gulf war, but decided not to as they were far more worried about the extremist military leaders poised to take his place, people who offered a far greater threat to our future.

Also, let's not forget that it was the US all those years ago who helped get Saddam into power, and if he had kept his promise of good oil relations this whole madness wouldn't be going on right now.

This war is what must be stopped at all costs.

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I think the poll was great! It made me think. Going about my silly day and suddenly BOOM! The here and now.

Drew... Read the book it will give you insight into many things never thought. Also did those 20 unexpected answers make you think? Obviously they did as you came to social to post about it.

To all: loaded or not loaded I dont understand why such large fuss... Its a poll, if you take it seriously then good, you are living in the world, the one here right now...

If we choose to only see what we want to see when we want to see it then we arent really seeing all that is are we?

love and hugs,
drome

tolerance and acceptance allow life together otherwise the war that I always speak of within ourselves is never 'won'

i guess the battle continues to the end of days (not a pun)...

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
err, finally just got what Knoxious is talking about. ooops. good point. {better go edit - 2 d's doh, I never could spell either.}

smallboy, good rant.

1/2 now million predicted for march in london in 2 weeks

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
I'm with Knoxious on this one.

but just by not talking about it doesn't mean it wont happen.......

catch 22