Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Mixing poi with dance and acrobatics??

Login/Join to Participate

CatVanVlietnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
I'm very new to poi but I have some background in dance and acrobatics so I am catching on very quickly.
I was wondering if anyone has tried to mix these things together. I've looked through google videos and haven't seen much.
I've been making some unique moves made from some basic poi moves.
For example, I'll start with a simple butterly and then bring my right leg up in the air in front of the arm motion and lift it up by my head while continuing the butterfly. (yeah im kinda stretchy/flexible). It turned out to look pretty cool.
I've also tried out doing a 3 beat weave and rolling onto my back and then coming back up without stopping.
I think I'm going to do more with this and maybe create some kind of poi/dance routine. Has anyone else heard of this? sorry im rambling. Your thoughts please. ubbrollsmile

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Yup, this stuff is done by troupes and performers for performances. There aren't many vids of actual performances out there. Continue on with it and share your stuff with us smile. It's always nice to see dance and body movement.

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
i can do a buzzsaw forwards roll... working on a buzzsaw backwards roll... or a backwards roll without poi basically

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
When I first started poi I used to compensate for my limited knowledge of moves by poi-ing whilst dancing fast-footed hip-hip style and doing numerous pirouettes (yes, whilst doing the weave very very fast)

I tend to not do that anymore as I preferred to work on the actual poi moves before contemplating whether it'd be feasible for me to incorporate that back into it...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
im all about drunken master style at the moment

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
if you want inspiration on dancing with poi, watch Ros/Fluffy napalm fairy.

She's awesome.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

_Siege_SILVER Member
181 posts

Posted:
I've done dancing pretty much all of my life, poi for about a year. I don't really feel confident enough in my poi moves to be able to dance with them yet but I really REALLY want to learn. Any tips and advice would be great. weavesmiley

Children laugh an average of 146 times a day; adults laugh an average of 4 times a day. Put more laughter in your day!!!

A few clowns short of a circus!

Damn right I'm good in bed - I can sleep for days!

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

She's awesome.

I wholeheartedly 1 billion % agree. FNF is one of the top inspirations I owe my spinning style to. My thoughts are, if you want references of poi as a dancing/moving art, look for vids with Nick Woolsey, Yuta, or FNF in them.

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

CatVanVlietnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
Thanks everyone smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ditto

to Suiboms posts smile

Getting to the other side smile

havocangelmember
53 posts

Posted:
I never stand still while performing, never. I'm always moving, dancing, or performing acrobatics during my routines. I haven't done any real acrobatic work with fire yet. My partner is somewhat of a worry wart when it comes to safety.

One of my favorite acrobatic moves is: doing a floating crescent kick over my poi. It's a bit more difficult to crescent kick over the poi while spinning in opposition to my kick. But I'm getting there.

CatVanVlietnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
wow havo that sounds awesome!

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Liquifies_Through_Contact

She's awesome.

she is really great. im glad i went to her body movement workshop at PLAY biggrin it was great

MaaiSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
Ooh I would like to see that! And I would want to dance too... Dancing is my main hobby, so.

Without Poi in heaven, I won't go!

CatVanVlietnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
Cool. I will have to work on this more than smile

Younglegendnewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Poi is the reason i want to learn a frontflip. That would look flippen sweet.

darkhorse445member
29 posts

Posted:
i love trying to dance with poi its hard to make sure you don't hit your self but when you do it looks very gd
one thing i do is a one haded cartwhell while with the free hand spin a poi !!! but i still can't do a btb chase
or any furtre
help?
p.s if i even get to get a video on here i will get one of me doing dance with poi! weavesmiley devil

"O villain, villain, smiling, damned villain!"
shakespeare

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
right now im trying to do kip ups while doing the buzzsaw... which in theory work if ill get the basic kip ups confused
video of kip ups

ummm... can anyone explain to me how to do them (or can tell me if they're possible while doing poi)

Younglegendnewbie
13 posts

Posted:
the btb chase is a tough one, i suggest trying btb figure 8's first. and when you think you got the hang of that, the poi cant be in an exact wall plane unless you're really flexible. just keep at it, and practice it.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
How about
[Old link]

There just isn't Enough Danae on HOP nowdays. biggrin

Sun_Puppymember
31 posts

Posted:
Eek, I can't do any btb stuff yet.

I have just started trying to incorporate some proper movement into my spinning - the only impressive(ish) thing I can pull off is a forward weave while in an arabesque position or the tree position from yoga.
I can also do pliés while doing butterfly behind my head.

I knew those childhood ballet lessons would come in handy somewhere... wink

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
about the kip ups while buzzsaw, my friend was able to do them 1st try, so as soon as ill get kip ups (im pretty close) ill try it

ThepoiboyoflittledoomBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
I have an idea, a 1 handed butterfly while doing a 1 handed cartwheel

Hey you, yeah you, I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE!!!! MUAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I like saying that.

fire puppyBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
Ive seen some one one time at the baech do a forword flip over a mexican weave

the Only good way to quit smoking is to cut your arms off, but then how would you drink coffee?

Flanimal_Lovermember
43 posts

Posted:
Newbie alert!
Still learning the basic moves, and got some good friends to teach me plus I'm finding it excellent for working out - bingo wings will be reduced to nothing in no time.. lol!

Looking forward to mastering the art!

Poi-er to the People!

MrFatPoisnewbie
1 post

Posted:
 Written by: Thepoiboyoflittledoom

I have an idea, a 1 handed butterfly while doing a 1 handed cartwheel

Ah man, tried that!

Its toughy, I cant get my head round it for some reason frown