Forums > Social Chat > Now i remember why i hate summer...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
Well its that time again, the point i hit every year, where ive been looking forward to summer for months, and as if by magic the Hayfever demon appears, sticks his fingers up my nose and pokes a stick in my eye.....

and man does it p*** me off. I spend the whole summer battling against rubbing my eyes, and hugging a box of kleenex (quit laughing at the back) for moral support.
And i cant find any drugs that work..... at all, clarityn my arse...

Its such a lame allergy, but its so easy to forget just how controlling it can be, and how it can reduce you to a dribbling mess in a matter of minutes.

Im sure there are others here that know what i mean, and i need help! can anyone suggest anything that helps???? ive tried most of the tablets/eyedrops and i know about the spoon full of honey thing but it doesnt do much...

someone come and cut off my nose......

frown

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Three cheers for Dr Nose!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by :newgabe

Written by biggrinoc Lightning

sunblock doesn't protect against skin cancer...zinc oxide

Hey is that the good old fashioned Zinc Cream that surfers used to always have smeared over their noses? And now cricketers apparently...

It was, but that had a higher concentration than 7.5%. The lower concentration is apparently as effective, but can be rubbed in so that it isn't that awful color.

Most of the chemicals used as sunblocks have what are called polycyclic aromatic rings. These are often considered as potential mutagens (mutation-causers) because anything with that chemical structure has a very flat shape, meaning that it can intercalate between the base pairs in a DNA molecule.

To date, these chemicals have been pretty extensively tested and any carcinogenic properties are pretty subtle, or they wouldn't be permitted in sunscreens.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Most of the Aussie ones are broad spectrum- I brought quite a bit back with me after noticing they're so much better than our rubbish English ones, . Mind you, ours only have to combat out rubbish English sun..

I know this is a bit off topic, but does anyone know any good eczema treatments? I'm sure it can't be anything to do with pollen, but mine's flaring up something awful right now.. I think I'm allergic to England, I had almost none (for me) all last year, in Aus or while I was in NZ.

All my doctor seems to be able to suggest is this steriod cream, which gets rid of it for a little while, but thins the skin so when it does come back, it's worse.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I just hate summer.

SAD in reverse frown

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

flyingpenguinnimember
114 posts

Posted:
Ohhhhhh well.... i have to apologice for my over excited message the other day. It looks that you guys are really suffering this good weather... Well is not going to last long I suppose. I got burnt (as a punish, i suppose) on Saturday juggling in the park. Lots of cream and water and i remember this threat... I might dislike the summer a little bit!!!

I had to beat him to death with his own shoes... but that's another story all together.

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
 Written by :hamamelis

does anyone know any good eczema treatments?

I used to have real bad eczema and got rid of it (except for a tiny knee-patch) using acupuncture. And the remedy my acupuncturist gave me for regular application...olive oil. Worked a treat smile

Poi(poi~y) n. : A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.
- part owner of Wooktastic™ ©

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Olive oil just makes me shiny.. I've tried it. shrug

I'm actually getting it on my scalp right now too- and as I've got waistlength hair even putting moisturiser on's a virtual impossibilty..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Are they nanoparticle-creams, Doc? biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

0nimember
59 posts

Posted:
my friend had such bad eczema that they wanted to give her chemotherapy =\
she couldnt go to work for weeks because she couldnt put clothes on her body
she started a very small amount of drug therapy and it cleared up very quickly, along with her obnoxious allergy and sinus symptoms.
not that i advocate this to anyone! it seems like she's having eczema again lately but i'm not sure what she's doing to treat it.

as for fair skin....i start out almost ghostly white, but by the end of the summer i can pass for latina xD dunno why, with my fair skinned uk and scandanavian background

DEAD FREEDOM
if you've forgotten how to scream, then scream here and live here

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Okay...to help with both the allergies and with eczema, you should greatly limit your intake of sugars, starch and dairy foods...they turn to yeast in the body which contributes to the fungus that creates the stuffiness and the skin break-outs...

I'm no expert, but I've had years of having to deal with sensitive skin and allergies...hydrocortisone creams will help, but they're not to be used for extended periods of time...cuz yes, they will thin the skin...if your allergies or skin conditions are particularly bad, you can go to a doc and ask about cortisone injections...but they're also a thing you want to use sparingly...not really good for the body...

I noticed, too, that my skin was 100% better while I was in Oz...it's always been very dry, but while I was there, it was like I had all new skin...I loved it...and now that I'm back in the states, it's right back to the dry, itchy skin, again...*pout*

I want to go baaaaaaaack...like, now would be good...!!!

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
The only problem with summer is it's too damn HOT!

Cold is great, extra jumpers spin some fire. but no matter how much ya strip you can't peel your skin off.

Anyone for synchronised fire swimming biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I'm loving summer again now, and in England it rarely gets toooooo hot. Its been just perfect the last week or so smile

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I just want to let everyone know that today, the high is 106 degrees F.

By Thursday, the high is supposed to be 76F.

Me thinks the Earth is sick.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
It's definatly that time of year again, I want to scratch my eyes out...or maybe just pop them out and rinse...them..in something ...gaaah

Hugs to all that suffer it's evil ways!

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Page: