Forums > Videos > Nick's Video Thread: Lots of New Videos

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
And even more latest videos:

1) Advanced Beat Theory and Reel Turns: Explores different ways you can count the rhythm and beat of the poi, and how to apply that to specific moves and to dance in general. A great tutorial if you're the self-teaching type.

2) How to Make Meteors: A quick tutorial on making poi-style meteors with foam balls and colecord.

3) Getting Started with Double-Staffs: Explores some ways to get your double-staffing off to a good start. Definitely just the tip of a big iceberg but sometimes that's all you need.

Love and light from Bali,

Nick

»

------------------

Latest Videos:

1. Eat Drew's Book!

2. Backwards 5-Beat Weave and BTB 5-Beat Weave

3. Interview Questions from Poland Part 1

Enjoy!

------------------

And just when you thought things couldn't get any better, I bring you (yes!) more videos!:

1) The Atomic Weave: Enter the World of 3D spinning. Andy first showed this to me at the Poi Studio years ago, and yes, people have taken this idea all kinds of places since, but this is a good way to start.

2) The Mighty Banyan: Banyan is one of my favorite fire spinners ever, and I mention him in "The Beautiful Thing about Ashes." This is some great double staff spinning from Thailand and India.

We're really rolling now that we have a computer again. Stay tuned for at least one new video every week, yay!

n

-----------------------

...and less then a week later, I bring you Nick and Yuta: Poi Story! This is the Director's Cut of our COL entry, 6.5 minutes long, meaning it has the full "story line" and most of our choreography, yay!

------------------

Ok, now it's Feb 11th, 2008 as I post this. Latest video is More Fun with Flowtoys, using some great footage from a very fun night of shooting in Bali. A good example of some plane bending and 3d poi spinning. Enjoy!

--------------------

Ah, I´m afraid I´ve been too busy for posting. We´ve put up a whole bunch of new tutorial videos: Including Spiral Wraps, Planes and Orbing, a cute compilation of the workshops in Prague, Crossers, Isolations, a most Excellent Flow Toys video, and another flowers video, yay. You can find them all on playpoi.com/videos. Ooooh... it wasn´t easy to do all this though. Sometimes I wish I wasn´t quite such a silly person...

--------------

Breaking News: We've begun to put up a whole series of adventure-tutorials, filmed as Jocelyn and I travel around the world. Already 4 videos up. This is why I never have time for the discussion forums

Behind the Back Weave

Under the Legs

Super-Duper-Uber-Loops

5-Beat Weaves

------------------

Yes, it's true: Nick Strips for Money

-------------

Latest before that:

Show Your Poi! I get regular emails through my site from people who want to know more about what kind of poi to use. Usually people who aren't lucky enough to have other people to play with... and since we had such a nice crew in Thailand, I figured it would be sweet if we all whipped it out for a little show and tell.

The Beautiful thing about Ashes. I'm getting a bit experimental with this one, and a bit personal as well

NICK VS YUTA! A tale of honor, envy, friendship, and jugglers turned poi spinners. With martial arts and bad dubbing to boot!

For Previous videos, see visit the videos page on playpoi.com

-----------------

Note: this will henceforwards and forevermore be my poi video thread on HOP, unless I decide otherwise.

I am proud to say that I have been a busy (too busy) Canadian Beaver and I'm sitting on an awful lot of video footage, which I'm finally beginning to release now that we are launching the new playpoi.com. Videoes will be mostly in quicktime format (Quicktime 7.0) and on youtube and google video as well.

So, to start it off, I bring you When Circles Dream

This is the most ambitious video I have yet made. It features original music by my friend Tarun Nayar, and a lot of video, photos, and performance from a shwack of artists.

...and as some self promotion, you can get a high-res version of this on my DVD, The Scales of Poi, available right here at homeofpoi!!

Um... so there you go. I'll be posting more videos every week or two, so stay tuned.

Poifully,

nick

EDITED_BY: Meenik (1208501580)

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

PhaiGOLD Member
113 posts

Posted:
*sighes* One new video each week... I need to get back into some serious poi work.

... as opposed to just throwing 'em and seeing where they land biggrin

*yawns* Methinks Pip'll catch some shut eye before she contemplates serious poi again.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
That Banyan video is awesome. Thanks.

Hmmmm.... I notice that your atomic weave is very different from the one in Nick Cann's tutorial. In my case, yours looks a little bit more doable. :P

Looking forward to more stuff, thanks a lot.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Latest Videos:

1. Eat Drew's Book!
2. Backwards 5-Beat Weave and BTB 5-Beat Weave
3. Interview Questions from Poland Part 1

Enjoy! biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
...and even more videos:

Meteor 101

Turning with 3-Beat Weaves

Polish Interview Questions Part 2

Enjoy, and happy Monday! ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
clap

outstanding work as usual Nick!

biggrin hug

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Its monday? I am confused... Been enjoying the vids Nic!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
And even more latest videos:

1) Advanced Beat Theory and Reel Turns: Explores different ways you can count the rhythm and beat of the poi, and how to apply that to specific moves and to dance in general. A great tutorial if you're the self-teaching type.

2) How to Make Meteors: A quick tutorial on making poi-style meteors with foam balls and colecord.

3) Getting Started with Double-Staffs: Explores some ways to get your double-staffing off to a good start. Definitely just the tip of a big iceberg but sometimes that's all you need.

Love and light from Bali,

Nick

loonSILVER Member
46 posts

Posted:
dunno if it's a fake or
ubbidea

the funniest things is,
when the "poipeople" do staff they only take
their poi experience and translate
ans it's the same, when the staffer do poi ...

i hope your great aura can give to the most people,
the 1 experience with 2 staff ...
smile

sound and light for all

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
I don't quite agree.

Sure from the first times they play with the instrument, however I think there is much to be learned from each prop that will in turn teach you something about the other one. I'm almost strictly a poi person but I get inspired a lot by double staff or even staff spinners.

It all depends on what kind of person you are... I'm easily inspired by many things myself =)

Page: ...