Forums > Social Chat > HOP POLL?? - Why is Beaming Poi more dangerous?

Login/Join to Participate

Spiral_komember
44 posts

Posted:
If beaming poi is more dangerous - why?

x
Spiral_ko

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
More dangerous than what? Sharks?

Yes, beaming poi are more dangerous than sharks, because sharks don't lull you into a false sense of security.

But you probably mean more dangerous than fire, don't you?

It depends on your definition of danger. You're far more likely to cause yourself pain with beamers than with fire. Hitting yourself with big heavy wicks is never anywhere near as bruising as beaming bastard poi. Thats probably because kevlar absorbs impact better than plastic. and I swear there's something about beamers that makes them want to go fast.

on the other hand, tangling fire round your wrist/leg/neck/etc could possibly result in serious burns/amputation/death/the third world war. probably.

I've never seen anyone badly burn themselves with poi; nothing more than singed hair. I've seen a lot of people totally mash themselves up with beamers. Sooooo beamers are more dangerous IMO.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

UCOF (emergency)member
129 posts

Posted:
ive burtn myself with beaming poi before....i rigged them up to the national grid and turned the power on....hee hee...that was funny...never before have i had such an amusing-to-others-but-fucking-painful-to-me reaction!#

beamers do hurt a lot more than fire by a long long way

erm...this is only a temp account until i get home and get the password to my usual account...sorry (itsa still the same flipping wierdo though)

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I hit myself on the kneecap with beamers before- stunning bruise.. black/purple with red dots were the pores are then it moved onto purple, brown/green and then yellow.. took about 2 weeks to go compleatly.. I couldn't stand on my leg for about 15 mins.. thought I'd broken my knee cap.. I gave them back to Tricky... quickly!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Beaming poi: broken noses, knee caps, concussion etc..

Not me personally but I know people who know people etc...

Although I have burnt myself pretty bad on my hand through a tangle with chains and no safety *tisk tisk* but we are much more safe now.

So I would say the beamers are more ouchy.

IMHO of course.

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
It'll probably save time and space if we introduce a new acronym to this thread.

IHMWBPAIRFH

It stands for "I Hit Myself With Beaming Poi And It Really F@~king Hurt"

also if you just say it like a word, it sounds like a noise I made one time when IHMWBPAIRFH

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ahhhhh the joy of beamers.

If I'm performing with them I generally strap on my mountain biking knee and shin pads under my trousers. Leg wraps just aren't worth the risk otherwise.

Nearly knocked myself out with them before - had to sit down until the world stopped spinning/hurting. Makes a cool noise though...

Fire? Pah! Piece of p!ss. Closest nasty thing I ever did was a sort of handcuff wrap and twist with my hands tied together right next to the poi. Some frantic wriggling saved me from anything nasty though.

Beamers = Satan Spawn
(But they look lovely and are wonderful to use )

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
don't look at me, I voted for fire

the worst beaming poi can cause is concusion, broken nose, bruises.

But fire poi, if not used properly, or if used while wearing the right clothing (or if you hit somebody who is not wearing the right clothering) can cause life threatening burns, or if you burn down your house around you.

The probability (statisticaly speaking) of getting painfully injured with beaming poi is deffinitly higher than with fire, but the fire damage can be more life threatening in specific cases.

When used properly, beaming poi are deffinitly more painfull. It's not likely they could ever kill you though, no matter how bad your safety habits.

I don't know though, you could probably kill somebody with beaming poi, if they were on a good chain, and you hit somebody in the head, really hard, repeatedly.

I guess it depende

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Smacked myself in the head with a beamer at Glastonbury. I reckon there's still a dent in my skull.

Everything goes all nice and smooth - you're spinning better than you have ever spun before and one dodgy transition lays you out.

Me no like beamers

Just getting a tangle and touching your knuckle can have you doubled over in pain. Bad beamers!

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I think I remember you doing that in the summer Ros... 4 days to go till we meet again sweets..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Tigurmember
43 posts

Posted:
I absoluteley love my beaming poi, i'd rather use them than anything else if i don't have my fire with me, i think it's because i like the extra weight, i used to be able to love glowsticks, but since i got my beamers, they have been nothin but joy to me

i spin pretty fast and i've only cracked myself once. i left a large bump on my skull, but went back to spinning to ignore the swelling

Dicipline Focus Damage

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
You're more likey to hurt yourself beamers. Because they're hard, almost every screwup will hurt a lot (ie. a healthy bump or bruise) In rare circumstances, you might break a bone.

Fire poi are just made of fabric (tightly-packed fabric, mind you), and with most screwups, you will not hurt yourself (just a little singe here and there). However, in those rare circumstances mentioned above, it is possible to catch completely on fire, suffer severe burns, burn the gas-exchange surface of your lungs, and/or die.

Which is more dangerous? I guess it comes down to whether you consider frequency or severity of injury.

Magickal_Kaleidoscopemember
119 posts

Posted:
with beamers you can only hurt yourself .
but with fire if the poi lands in the fuel it is very bad and dangerous because fires start really easily specially in Australia

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
BEAMERS broken nose here.

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Blackstar,how on earth can the poi land in the gas unless someone is doing something they really shouldn't be?I'm officially more afraid of you than my beamers.

I don't know if I would say beamers are more dangerous than fire poi but I will say they are far more intimidating.The impact of fire poi is not nearly as painful and as long as you're not braindead it's actually quite difficult to set yourself ablaze.Come to think of it has anyone ever burned to death from fire poi accident?????

To sum up beamers in my opinion:

Beaming poi + forehead crusher
Non-Https Image Link

Beaming poi + self inflicted vasectomy
Non-Https Image Link

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
IHMWBPAIRFH!!!!

hehe Simian! i think that acronym is good. saves me writing it all out!

yesh.... doin an over/behind head butterfli thingy.... perfectly... then sumfin went wrong and *WHACK* in the back of the head... in front of all my work mates at the xmas party. i jus blamed the free alcohol

and fire poi jus singes hair and makes ya stink for awhile.... poooooooooh-weeeeeeeeeee! hehe. aint hurt that much... unless u get tangled really bad and u cant get outta it and it starts burning ya... but by then one of ya friends shoulda realised u was in trouble and should come help u out....

but yes... OWWWIES for BEAMERS!

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

Spiral_komember
44 posts

Posted:
Cheers peeps

I will keep this in mind if I ever try Beamers!!

x

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
heh, survey SAYS ?!?!?

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, here's how I see it.

With flaming poi, the two main dangers are that you'll burn yourself or that you'll start a fire. If you are practicing proper safety technique (spotter with wet towel, a bucket of water, and a fire extinguisher), it takes gross negligence to really hurt someone with them. Given, if a fire gets out of control, it's a serious mess, but barring such negligence (and I'm an a$$hole when it comes to safety. Any of you ever spin with me, you are hereby warned.), but if you're doing it right, that shouldn't happen. So the end consequence of a stuff-up with firepoi can be worse than with beamers, but if you're being professional about it (and EVERYONE should be professional about it, whether you are getting paid or not), it shouldn't be an issue.

With beamers, the end consequences of a mistake are much smaller to the world at large. OK, so you give yourself a subdural hematoma with one. You go to the ER, require emergency neurosurgery, etc. But at least you didn't burn down the neighborhood. Now, given, I haven't heard of anyone requiring emergency brain surgery on account of beaming poi (yet), but the idea is that you're much more likely to injure yourself with beaming poi than you are likely to injure anyone with fire poi.

Incidentally, wraps with beaming poi HURT. Even when done properly. They don't hurt with fire.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Hear, Hear Mike! I'm with ya on this vote!

[ 02. February 2003, 07:51: Message edited by: FireSpirit ]

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I agree totally with Mike's conclusion... beaming poi is more dangerous. Although I've never been long term damaged by it, I have knocked myself on the floor because of an... err unfortunate impact to the back of the head

If you practice good safety, and everything is secure on the poi when you start spinning fire so there isn't any risk of something flying off fire poi is safer than beaming. That is, if you don't practice with them lit.

Cheers,
Kinudin

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
can't recall a time I've had to sit with ice on the egg on my head as a result of playing with fire poi

IHMWBPAIRFH - priceless

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
How much does a beaming poi head actually weigh anyways?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
good question, anyone got an answer? Malcolm?

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Try hitting yourself in the head with one and then ask how much they weigh.