James_HillyerGOLD Member
16 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, had a question. I have been spinning Poi for a while now, and loved the old lessons, you know the ones where you went through page by page and 'read' what to do. I only just ordered a staff, and to my dismay, when I went to go read up on staff, I found these videos....

Now im not saying the videos are that bad, they sure look cool and make me wanna go buy the video, but does Anyone know how to get back to the old lessons?? Cause they were cool and explained how to do the moves, whereas the new videos, half of them give a quick view, and others just talk about it.....

Any help is greatly appreciated.

a) Those who can, Do It.
b) Those who know, Post It.
c) Those who can't, Read It.
d) Those with ego's, Argue It.

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
Well, im not sure where they are as im new to the site.. but ill try to possibly help you out with another site. What it does, is show the move, then in slowmotion. After it will give a explanation in text. Not exactly my kind of choice, but they cover fishtails, jesus, steve, etc etc.. https://www.firestaff-tutorials.co.uk/
There are different pages to all these moves though, I have given you the contact one, considering thats a pretty sexy one... Sorry if this isnt much of a help, or if you have been here, im just not sure where the older videos went shrug enjoy

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I've had a look, and they seem to still be there... shrug

Old ones, and newer ones...

What seems to be your problem again?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

James_HillyerGOLD Member
16 posts

Posted:
Haha made a mistake. For all the Poi stuff there is a detailed instruction on how to perform it all, but for the staffs these details are a bit.... lacking. I just looked at the Staff ones and assumed the website had been 'updated', /slaps self

Thanks anyway guys :P

a) Those who can, Do It.
b) Those who know, Post It.
c) Those who can't, Read It.
d) Those with ego's, Argue It.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
After a look through all the lessons, I can see what you mean.. redface

The old Staff tutorial videos seem to have been replaced with with .GIFs taken from a staff DVD...

I agree that there doesn't seem to be much more in there than the standard rotations in different places...Do you still have the old lessons somewhere, Malcolm?

I'll try and upload an couple of staff ones myself... Maybe a contact move or two as well...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
if you are unsatisfied with the videos + explanations on firestaff-tutorials you can ask for text explanations of moves from the site administrator. After years of not being able to figure out fishtails (I'm more of a spin + throw person even now) she gave me a description + an exercise that set me to being ble to do fishtails (badly, I've not really bothered the practice that would make it smooth). So even if her first explanation doesn't help you you can always ask for another.

And if you just want something more like a list you can start from (tho you could use the list here as a reference) she could probably create that too, because if you're interested in it surely a mess of other people are as well.

Now I just need a "notify admin on a completly different site" button... tongue

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

RayinRedSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
Spinning staff is almost all in the wrist, I think it would be hard to explain in detail how to contort ones or hook the thumb to do a shotgun. I think the best way might be to watch or get an instructor.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I can't belive we're having a staff technique discussion in social (well, actually, yes I can, staffers have a hard time with the "forums" concept sometimes) but assuming my shotgun is your shotgun (a risky first step) what do you mean by hooking the thumb? I just twist my wrist more than perhaps its meant to (what I was shown, it works fine) tongue

I had the same opinion at one point but several people have proven me wrong in creative ways to explain in detail how to do basic staff moves. I could even do good explnations for creating solid 360's and stuff from text at this point, altho little else as my good explanations are only the ones i've heard other people say tongue

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Old free lessons are the new black

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
you could simply head down to one of the Sydney events[Old link] and get someone to teach you outside the virtual world...

ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
not the real world! It burrrnnnnnssss......

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bender

Old free lessons are the new black

ubblove

bender is the other dose of making me happy....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hug

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always