Forums > Help! > Mac to PC conversion for Illustrator files

Login/Join to Participate

WirewoodGOLD Member
journeyman
90 posts

Posted:
Hi all,

My partner has completed (& passed) her PhD but it requires a few minor corrections before it can be published. The problem is that the dendograms were done in Adobe Illustrator on a Mac at the university in Dunedin, NZ, which is over 5000kms from here (we're now in Perth - must update my profile). We enquired about hiring a Mac for a week but they don't come with any software (and at over $700 for Illustrator it's a bit expensive for 1 weeks use - almost cheaper to fly back). We may be able to borrow a PC with Illustrator but will it read the Mac files? Any other suggestions? Alas, re-entering the dendograms isn't really an option as they're complex beasties with fancy overlays and would take far too much time to do (& I don't even have enough time to spin fire at the moment, let alone slave over a drawing package for a month). Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Cheers

"What drives life is...a little electric current kept up by the sunshine." Albert Szent-Gyorgi

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
you should have very few problems loading a mac-created illustrator file on a pc - if you are running cs2 version of both you should experience no problems at all smile

note that you could possibly run into a few problems if you want to later use the file again on a mac since you may lose the resource fork part of the file in the conversion.

it is possible though so don't worry about that too much...

congratulations to your partner on completing her phd too smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Cole: get you and you're "resource forks" wink

He's right though: Illustrator files are Illustrator files, not Mac or PC files. they will work fine, unless there is something I don't know about.

People are swapping Mac and PC files all the time smile

If it doesn't work, you could email the files to someone with Illustrator on a Mac (I have it, I guess Cole has it by now) and we could save them in some more PC friendly format.

hug

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I thought those stupid resource forks went out with OS9.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
sym ubblol tongue

there was no indication of the version of os x or illustrator that the mac was running so i thought i'd mention it because its something i've had to deal with in the past - i (am forced) to use a pc here at work whereas our printers (and the rest of the effin print and design world) use macs.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
It'll work provided it's the right version or a higher version. For example Illustrator v12 (CS2) will open v11(CS) files but v11 will not open v12 etc.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

WirewoodGOLD Member
journeyman
90 posts

Posted:
Thanks heaps for that info, my partner will be very releived. The PhD was enough stress to last a lifetime, especially the last 4 days before submission - no sleep (which resulted in lots of auidable hallucinations), a few hiccups which had me sprinting across town to the printers, a few tantrums - all followed by a dying tooth that required root canal treatment a day later - when it rains it pours eh?.

Thanks again, I'll head off and track down a PC with Illustrator on it.

Cheers

"What drives life is...a little electric current kept up by the sunshine." Albert Szent-Gyorgi