Page: ...
PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I will try my best not to make this rant about the evil corporation of Apple so lets not make it into one so here goes.

Basically my Ipod is fully screwed after only having it since July last year, I sent it back to Apple adn they decided that the problem with my ipod was caused by 'accidental damage, misuse/ abuse' and therefore it is not covered under their guarantee so they sent it back to me, still broken. I dont really knwo how this is possible, true I've had it for 6 months but its not like it's beend ropped, or at least not anymore than how things accidently drop, and certainly not sufficient to warrant it breaking about 7 months, however there isnt really anything i can do, they say I broke it, I say I didnt, in the end they were the ones who the 'thorough' diagnostic. My word against theirs so I dont really think I have any kind of case for argument, or do I?

But anyway secondly assuming I cannot get them to sort it which is looking the case I need a new MP3 player, do I trust Apple again, this is my second Ipod in the last 3 years, if I got a new one and it broke would they do the same again, I dont think I can trust a new Ipod. But that brings me to my next issue.

The third problem is I have about 2500 songs on my Ipod (and therefore music library on my computer) the majority of which are the format of either MPEG-4 or M4A, I think M4A and MPEG 4 are Apple's own format and so if I went with a different brand I'm assuming I couldnt add my old music library and therefore loosing the majority of my songs which I really really don't want. Or am I wrong?

So my question is does anyone know of ways to either convert the formats or any MP3players out there despite apple that support the format? So I dont have to go back to the evil guys and get another Ipod frown

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
oooh lovely. Anywhere in particular? You could probably go HERE for that price wink I know Sym would love to go, I bet he's touching himself in the wrong places just thinking about it umm ubblol

Let's relight this forum ubblove

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
ubblol

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ubblol

i love the way they called that road 'infinite loop', but it isn't a loop and quite clearly has a beginning and an end!

so, i told work today that i wanted a shiny new mac with some intel processors in it.

their excuse for not buying me a mac last time i asked was that they didn't want a mac on their nice and secure pc network.

so this time, i said that with the new intel processors they were much closer to being pc's and that they might as weel just get me one now.

but they just pointed at the price tag and laughed at me.

"the budget is in may" they said.

i'm pretty sure that means i won't get one, ever.

rolleyes

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

Yeah, that's grownup talk for "no".

Would be funny to use that expression elsewhere.

"Hey Baby, Can I Buy You a Drink?"
"Sorry, the budget is in May"

"Can you pick me up and drive me to the party?"
"I would but, you know, the budget is in May.."

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:

their excuse for not buying me a mac last time i asked was that they didn't want a mac on their nice and secure pc network.

Hahahaha ubblol

Yeah, secure...erm...maybe they're going mad though the lack of sleep they have from having to restart the windows servers all the time... rolleyes

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubblol

My pc at work just turned itself off the other day for no reason at all (well obviously some reason but to this day remains unknown) and it then decided it wouldn't turn itself on. After much cable wiggling and shouting by the IT guy but to no avail, it was left and randomly decided it liked working again and came back to life, sans my last 10 minutes of work rolleyes

Temp ok, connections/leads ok, power supply ok, software windows....oh hang on I think I might have found the reason umm ubblol

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
hey look, it's the new iwasp Aparently it's much easier to use than the winBee as it doesn't bite you in the ass when you least need it too

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dom

Sounds like what people are saying is there's good and bad things about ipods, which I agree with.

The M4A thing in the original post - did that ever get answered? Basically you can get programs that convert between formats, I use this and if you plug an ipod into a PC and view hidden files and folders you'll find a load of hidden music files with names like GKSIO.m4a which you can copy to your computer. iTunes will then reorganise and rename them for you. Great way to get songs from computer to computer using an iPod, one of the things you're not meant to be able to do.

dom, i use mp3 tag tools v1.2 to batch process, rename and embed cover art to all my mp3 + mp4 files. anapod will use any encoders like LAME to convert to mp3.
note that embedded cover art will only show up on fifth gen ipods....

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Flaeyr_Munklefistnewbie
24 posts

Posted:
It's fun finding ways around the roadblocks programmers/designers set up to be annoying; however, I firmly believe that if you have the money for a new iPod, your money is much better spent on a different brand that has been trying to outdo iPod.

Oh, and about that iWasp... gaaaahhhhhhhh, that made me a little squeamish. Statistically speaking, I should have been stung dozens of times by wasps/bees, but to this day, I remain stingless.

There was once a man who dreamt he was a butterly, and when he awoke, he wished he would wake again to find his wings.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
what would you recommend, Flaeyr_Munklefist? i notice that one lacking feature of the ipod is a small video screen and a small pause that interrupts mixed sets... are there any 60GB+ players that preform better, or are much smaller? thanks!! smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

Yeah, that's grownup talk for "no".

Would be funny to use that expression elsewhere.

"Hey Baby, Can I Buy You a Drink?"
"Sorry, the budget is in May"

"Can you pick me up and drive me to the party?"
"I would but, you know, the budget is in May.."

ha ha ha...that made me actually laugh out loud. smile

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Flaeyr_Munklefistnewbie
24 posts

Posted:
Well, I did a little digging on common online venues (amazon.com mainly). For only 50 dollars extra, it seems there is a new mp3 player release. It is here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BKP...5Fencoding=UTF8

That one supports many file types for music, can hold digital pictures, and has a radio option. Interesting stuff and only a little extra for a not-quite-released product.

For the same price as the iPod, Toshiba has a very large screen 60gig release:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007U0...p;s=electronics

That was just looking at Amazon, so there are several sources for some fun hardware. I'd, personally, spend the extra few dollars for the first link... it looks snazzy smile.

There was once a man who dreamt he was a butterly, and when he awoke, he wished he would wake again to find his wings.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Personally I'm going to stick by iPods for a while (coz I'm a rabid mac user tongue)

I had a slight tragedy this afternoon. My FrankenClassic died frown It looks like the hard disc has gone but the rest of the G4 is perfectly ok so all I have to do is replace that and it should be perfectly ok but until then I bought another Classic to play with for a while and am working on an iTank G3 (a fish tank made out of an iMac G3). I found the instructions here

https://www.imacquarium.com/

and thought I'd try it out...

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I would have gone for this one personally...

biggrin

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Makes it easier to get rid of the dead 'uns i guess wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
It would have been soooo much cooler, if he'd made it like they make arcade machines... so that there's a flatscreen monitor siting on it's back facing up, there's an angled mirror to show you the screen, and then in front of that you have the water and the fish. So you actually have to bang on the screen to get the fish out of the way when your working on the 'puter.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
slightly on topic and related to what simian said about apple's dodgy itunes format policies: https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4828296.stm

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

The aim is to ensure that digital music can be played on any player, regardless of its format or source.

*snip*

The French bill says that proprietary copy-protection technologies must not block interoperability between different systems.

Woohoo biggrin

Written by:

Mr Ross said the French decision was unlikely to have an immediate impact beyond France's borders.

No woohoo for that part - I reckon we'll have a long wait before we get anything like that bill over here, if we ever get it at all frown

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Bloody French wink

They just have to be awkward. Mind you its very simple to work around if apple are smart and change the file format to regular mp3/mpg and add copy protection to that. But it kinda defeats the purpose of having mp4 at all.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
have a lok at this though:

https://www.videolan.org/eucd.html

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
So VLC, which I use to play legal .avi files like those found on HoP, is going to be illegal in France. Something tells me that they haven't taken into account computer users who don't have access to the 'legal' applications to play these files or to people who bother to look for better software to play DVDs etc. IMHO this is madness.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
A bit late on the uptake, but just thought I'd mention this: Try getting an Otterbox for your iPod. It's a bit bulky, but you can literally go swimming with your iPod when it's protected in one of these cases (as long as it doesn't go over a meter under water smile ).

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Is there any mp3 player that works happily with linux? Why don't they consider linux users when they make software for these things? All they have to do is bolt together something from all the free software in the community and then release it and then loads of people will make it better. And they'll have aniche market. BOOM. Just like that.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
they already went one better than that meg: https://www.gbax.com/

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yeah but I don't want to pay 200 squid for a 1gb music / video player. I'd pay that for a 60gb iAudio or something and deal with the annoyances. or if I wanted a 1gb one I'd get a 1gb one for a quarter of the price. (and deal with the annoyances)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hold on, you asked this question:

Written by: mcp

Is there any mp3 player that works happily with linux? ...

...they'll have aniche market. BOOM. Just like that.

and i answered it.

just cos your idea turns out to be overpriced and undersubscribed isn't my fault!

higher priced products compared to mass market products is something that is pretty much intrinsic to niche markets anyway shrug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
No I meant all these players would have to do is add a new program on the cd that comes with them, a program that magically makes them work with linux. It's not much work.

It's not my fault you immediately think of a handheld computer games console that just happens to also play music.

Plus: It's not my fault if you can't read. wink

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
What do you mean works happily with linux?

I've got an iAudio, and had an iRiver; they both just show up like the mass storage devices they're supposed to be.

I'm happy!

monkeys ate my brain

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

Plus: It's not my fault if you can't read. wink

i prefer to blame kenn myself wink

doododo.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Dammit dude! That's another putting-linux-on-something-that-linux-wasn't-on-before project website! If I wanted linux on something daft I'd buy a gbx3 and superglue it to a goldfish.

Don't these people have anything better to do that port linux to a) ipod b) fancy mobile phone c) cars d) toothbrushes.

"Hey I have linux running in my car!" "hey that's so coo1! if you install webmin you can tune your engine from home!" "yay!... but who's in my car when I'm tuning it?"

Page: ...