Forums > Help! > HOP on MS Explorer

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Home of Poi does not supprt explorer or am I only one who see blank page?

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Are you talking about Internet Explorer?

If so, then it does. I would say you have a cache problem, try pressing ctrl+F5 when you're on HoP with IE, or just clear it in the options.

Maybe posting in the help forum would be better in future.

Can you give us more info on your computer?

hug

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
But IE sais ... done and source code of page is:

Blank page aftre clearing cache, and all files. On the same system firefox is ok. You have explorer?

It technical I meen, I can see HOP smile

POI THEO(R)IST

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Did you try the ctrl+F5?

Can we have more info as well? OS? IE verson? etc etc

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I did, but I tried IE on mine Pc and HOP works well, the computer it doesnt shows has other problems as well so its possibly one antoher strange Windows thing in couple.
I'll wait and than solve all of them. (dont you know where I find Start>Find executable or registry entry? pm,)

thank you,

POI THEO(R)IST

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
You could try running:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf

as an admin user, then restarting...but you might just need to go though the [Old link] first.

I don't know what you mean by the find executable...AFIK it's just Explorer using the command line 'find'.

Good luck

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
I've started getting the "approximately equals to" sign at the end of all the thread titles today in IE.

I've not tried Mozilla yet though, as the room's too cold to enter.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

hug

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I only use firefox and I'm getting the almost equal signs too... I think its something on hop..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
check the link!

Written by: Malcolm

Dear all,

The "Search before posting a new topic" is now currently working. However it
only lists the top 10 most related topics.
Threads that are rated highly by users are given a higher ranking in search
results if they share the same keywords.

How it "works"
It would have been too much of a drain on the server to search via mysql so
we have created a special compressed flat text file database about 23Mb and
search using a super fast perl search engine tool.
I will get a cron job to update the flat file on a daily basis.

Cheers

Malcolm

There is a thread about this that is active at the moment...

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I understand that... now no offense to you mate, but I read the first post.. the first post made reference to 'rating'... the rating system has been here for quite some time.. the almost equal after threads is new today, from yesterday..

the post you quoted was made on page 3.. so far be it from me to care about rankings that much to get that far.. not like that would have mattered since the post you quoted, which apprently means that we now have almost equal signs, only means something if you understand what is being said.. things such as 'mysql', 'perl search engine tool', and 'compressed flat text file database'... mean about as much to me as 'a;sldkhfa;woeinsdvbv;osdringopnrv'alsndgf;lkj'..

sorry pardon my ignorance.. but the only thing that lets me connect the 'almost equal' with the rest of your posts is the insuation that I must be daft for not understanding serverspeak..

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
um, you could have tried clicking on one, and seeing what it did.

that's what i did smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Ok, for a start Richee posted in the wrong forum asking quite a bad question.

I did my best to reply to it, over 3 posts.

Then ducky2108 took the thread off topic (and still in the wring forum) by asking about the "approximately equals to" signs.

Then I sent a link to a thread talking about it that (by the way, was at the top of the list at the time you posted).

Remember, you are still off topic and in the wrong forum here, but none the less, i carry on.

You don't seem to be able to read the thread i linked to, so i quoted the exact post talking about it (again, this was at the top of the forum, it's not like it was hidden 3 pages down or anything).

So now, you have a link to the thread and a quote to the exact post and you are still in the wrong forum posting off topic.

There is no need to know what all the geeks stuff means, just don't read the 'how it works' bit.

I'm sorry that I didn't spell it out for you, in the wrong forum, posting off topic, when a thread about it was at the top of the correct forum. I just assumed you knew how to use this forum. My bad.

Also, you could have just clicked on one, like everyone else.

Now, if you will please let us get back on topic, Richee, have you sorted it out? If you have please post back about what you did so as to help other people with the same problem. If not, post back if you have any more information. Did the last thing I posted help at all?

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
ubblol you tell em Sym!!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Not sure if this has any direct relationship, on a fairly frequent occurence seemingly however at random times, and quite unrelated to numbers of users browsing, that the whole site seems to stop repsonding, occaisionally hanging the browser, and this happens on differing browser platforms, not just IE,

If I felt like waisting enough time, i'm sure that the net result would probably be a blank page or at least a part downloaded page, its seems almost like the server or a router inbetween just stops responding, however this only seems to happen with hop.

mark

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Well, from where I am in the UK (I'm on a 1 gigabit connection to the UK back bone because i'm on a council connection) I get about 29 steps over a trace route, going from Cambridge to london then NYC then over to Asia (though a few hops) and on to NZ.

With that many hops over a long way it's bound to cause some problems some of the time. Also, HoP is made up of about 80% database content, so the database server will take a massive beating a lot of the time. When making posts/changing something the tables will have to be locked at the time it's being changed. If you are trying to access the same bit of content you will have to wait for the database to unlock before you can see it (maybe, this is just guess work) See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACID
for more info

Anyway, this is turning in to a geek rant. I think the point is, there is a lot of stuff going on that allows you to see HoP. Because of that, some of the time something will give a little and you will see it. Apart from getting more servers in more locations, there is little anyone can do about it smile

Lastly, this is really not the place for it, but I would be willing to pay something like £2 a month (donation) towards more server/bandwidth etc. If every hopper did that I'm sure we could help Malcolm out a lot smile

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
[re-enters a-hole]

1- whether or not richee posted this in the wrong section is irrelevent.. if the mods don't like it, they'll move it.. you whining over nothing.. its not liek we MADE you post..

2- richee was having problems with it that got to some degree resolved (since, he realized it was due to a computer that had other problems as well and that it was probably a collective effect and decided to handle it himself.. Funny for someone whoe tells me -I- ought to read, you sure don't do well yourself...).. in the meantime others found it helpful to just post questions to what they didnt know was or wasnt a problem.. not very much of a topic hop..

3- regardless of what you say NOTHING in that post says there should be 'almost equal' signs.. it talks about rankings and ranking things similarly.. funny enough, I'm not searching.. you know what that means, they aren't ranked by similarity... Considering each of these threads are UNRANKED.. I would expect them to not have a ranking, or have a ranking 0... almost equal... almost equal to what? to each other?!? you see what I mean.. your post didnt tell me squat.. as 'informative' as you thought you may be..

yes, I know how to use the forums.. but the only section I pay attention to is the technical section.. does that mean I should have gone elsewhere? no.. it means I would not have asked a **** thing if I didnt read someone else asking the question first.. Because as before I didnt really care, but since others were having problems with hop, and still others were, like I curious, I thought why not..

now I have to watch out for the forum nazis.. so believe me.. I won't be naive enough to ask a question next time sir :salute: ubblol biggrin

[/exit a-hole]

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Rev, shut up.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

I spend a lot of time on my local univeristy newtork, similar connection speed, not sure how many trace steps I get to NZ, never really bothered to look, and have still seen this problem, I did initially consider that given HOP has such a large proportion of server side database content, that these interruptions might be related to features of the database management system and its transaction processing, but given the duration of time that the site stops responding, i'm less than convinced.

mark

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Jo... spank
and not the nice kind.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Hi UCOF smile,

Can you tell me if the IRC channel here is worky?

https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/chatroom.php

for me no.

ps: the IE has the same prob on idffrent pages, int will be internal
for sure.

POI THEO(R)IST

147 posts

Posted:
Firstly, I'm sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I saw this post, in the area the OP had put it in, and assumed it was in the right place. Silly me.

Secondly, as I've only just started using IE again, as I'm on a laptop where it actually works rather than a desktop where it doesn't and I use Mozilla, I thought it may be a genuine problem with this site and IE. Again, Silly me.

Thirdly, I have to agree with Rev. I read the whole three pages of that post. Not only did it make no sense to me (I don't speak computer jargon), but nowhere was it mentioned about the "almost equal to sign". Hell, after reading the whole thread, I still wasn't sure if that link was aimed at me again. One more time, silly me. I should have realised that everyone on this forum has a degree in computer sciences, and how silly of me to wander into this seemingly friendly forum so unprepared.

If you would like me to point you in the direction of mutli-paged threads on "home of poi snobbery" and the actions of established members to new people on the boards, let me know, and I'll post the links.

[/bitterness]
EDITED_BY: ducky2108 (1141340560)

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yep Richee, Chat room is working for me. Then again, im using Portable Firefox. smile

Ducky: Have you seen the HOP "Newbies not sticking to the forum rules and complaining when the old skoolers tell them to follow the rules and call it "snobbery" instead" thread?

I'll do a durbs and see if I can find it... wink

147 posts

Posted:
Yes. I've seen that one too.

However, as I was being accused of a) taking this off topic (which I wasn't as I thought this was a problem with hop on IE, which is what the title seems to suggest), b) that I posted to this in the wrong forum (Which is beyond my control, as the post was already here), and c)that I couldn't make sense of something which two people have now said doesn't help answer the question they thought they'd had every right to ask ar all, I felt a bit aggreived.

Then, having explained myself, to get the helpful reply once again that it's not actually the old skoolers at all, but the newbies again, is, I feel, taking the micky just a little bit.

Maybe they should det up a newbie forum, where newbies can post what they want, and then the "old skoolers" can deign to grace us with their presence if they so desire. Maybe they can set up some sort of test too, which you have to pass before you're allowed to post to any other forum.

That's the last time I make a genuine enquiry here.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Just checking smile

hug2

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Geez Nelly Wooooooooooooah! Will you people stop fighting over who's newbies and old skool already!

Rev is old skool and so is Richee, so what, and you are a newbie(-ish) Ducky. What the hell does it matter!?!?!

This problem isn't anything to do with how long people have been posting on HoP so lets drop that ok!

[back on topic (-ish)]

So IE does work with HoP and Richee is experiencing other problems that maybe be causing IE not to work.
the squiggly thingie* that Ducky refers to is part of the search tool thingie* that if you press is meant to bring up similar topics and threads............... Have I got that summery right or am I a spamhead that needs more chocolate input?

Now everyone hug and make up grouphug :gropesafewbuttsinthegrouphug:

*Thingie being the most technical term I ever use.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

147 posts

Posted:
Now that's the description I needed.

I didn't even realise you click on the things.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
ubblol

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Crikey.
Is it PMT time over there or something?
Well done Skully. Grouphugsgropesandchocolate all in the one post. wonder what the squiggly thingie brings up for THAT wink

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Written by: jo_rhymes

Rev, shut up.

ubblol hug

Written by: UraniumChipOxidationFacility

Jo... spank
and not the nice kind.

right on.. wait.. no right on.. I speak my mind and do give a rat's *** about what people think... they should be entitled to the same.. I cant get mad or I'd be a hypocrit.. though, I wouldn't recommend Jo do that to everyone.. I think he just needs a hug..

/end severe off topic

begin only slightly off topic..
Written by: ducky2108

I didn't even realise you click on the things.

<------- that is my point exactly.. that was all I needed to be told.. (even though some monkey told me and I still didnt understand.. I thought he meant he did a search and learned how it worked..) my mouse never crossed one, so I didnt even catch that much.. all brain, no commonsense..

/end slightly off topic

begin on topic.
I know this might not help you much richee.. but I had prroblems with IE too.. not only here but with google as well.. it would just crash when I was on the site.. error msg saying it had to close because it encountered a problem.. and all the windows kill.. then I realized that I've been using firefox so long that I hadnt updated.. it didnt update to a newer version but it did refresh settings and associations.. so now I can pull it up, and watch video clips and stuff in explorer again..

shrug

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Ok, I wiil try to update it all together, I think the system need it, the computer is not mine so I'll recomend it to the owner.

POI THEO(R)IST

Page: