Forums > Social Chat > What is YOUR definition of a raver???

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pHoTiKrBOImember
27 posts

Posted:
man theres like so many difintions of raver i dunno.....i just wnana knows urs

at my school, a "raver" is someone who does all the liquiding photon glowstickin glowstringing stuff....

i dunnno if thats true or not, nut a lot of gay noobies always be doin some crappy ass liquiding and callin themselve a raver....i just think it brings shame to that name and word...

just wanna know ur definition..

pHoTiK kReW!!!!!

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Interesting topic.

I don't like defining anyone as a raver. It's too broad of a term which is why everyone has their own definition, which incidentally is why this makes such a neat question to pose.

For some it's the music you listen to. for others, it's the drugs you do. for others, it's the clothes you wear. For others, it's how long ago you started raving that defines how much of a "raver" you are.

I go to raves because I love the music that is played. I will go anywhere necessary to hear the music I love played *loud*.

Being around hundreds or myabe thousands of others who are having a good time only enhances that experience. Whatever their reasons are for having that good time, I don't really care, as long as you're having a good time. I enjoy the community, coming together with people and having a good time however you choose.

There are very few forums where people can do that...especially ones that play music I enjoy.

The only thing that really bothers me when people develop some kind of "ravier-than-thou" definition that excludes part of the community because of their clothes, musical preference, drugs they do, how long they have been partying, or how underground their scene is. I don't like that...it destroys and segregates the scene...which means I'll have no friendly fun place to go hear good music and meet good people.

My definition is no definition. So long as you're there to have fun and not ruin anyone else's, welcome to the party.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Anyone wearing baggy pants, tons of gawdy plastic jewelry, will eat almost any chemical if (s)he thinks there is a high in it, wears those stupid fuzzy visors, and seems to be entranced by glowy things.

Oh and they might occasionally notice there is some techno playing in the backround.

Jesus helps me trick people.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I must admit, I hate the term "raver". When I was in my early teens my dad used to say "so you are going out raving?", whenever I was going out, movies, a party, whatever. It was an old fogey embarassing parent thing. So the word doesn't really conjure up positive images for me

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
My definition is simple:
"Someone what goes to raves."

David Attenborough's definition is less simple:
"The raver is a peculiar animal, sometimes moving in bizarre, random movements, whilst at other times, content to lie in one position for hours on end. Ravers are often found in large herds and usually in locations that are characterised by rhythmic audio pulses and complex light effects. Many ravers have taken to the old shamanistic tradition of utilising natural herbs and other concoctions to ascend to ethereal planes, whilst others are content to experience the world in a natural state. In fact there is no definitive behaviour able to characterise the raver. Many seem to enjoy having what is referred to as 'a good time' and get about it with minimum fuss, while others seem to live the life of a raver for only a short time. As with any species, there are ravers who don't seem to get along with the rest of their kind and enjoy making life difficult for others. These ravers are often unwelcome in such situations and are best avoided."

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

pHoTiKrBOImember
27 posts

Posted:
lol wat kind of definition is that?? i dont get it....

pHoTiK kReW!!!!!

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Bendy,

Nice work..... I agree with your definition.

A Raver = Person who attends Raves

So much fire, so little body hair...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
pHoTiKrBOI would you describe yourself as a raver?

Meh

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
ya' know the only thing that makes this funny to me is that i am actually used to all of these concepts.

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
got a 404 on that link there Lunchbox.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I have to agree with Bendy. In order to be a raver you have to like electronic music, and either go to, work at, have gone to, or run a lot of raves.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
i think raver is a term that you earn. you dont just go to one rave and call your self a raver. in fact you should never call yourself a raver to me its how other people would describe you. like sometimes me and some friends will see somone on the street and be like i know him from parties. hes a raver kid. the term really isnt used very much by me or my friends and we are always at parties. i agree with rozi its really a geeky term that usually newbs or old folk use. i dont wear raver clothes or do drugs very much but its definately my scene. its what i do every weekend not casue i like the image but because thats what i desire to do. so if you put me in a genre it would be raver.

drugs.. rock and roll. bad ass.. vegas hoes.. late night. booty calls.. shiny disco balls!!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
*has panic attack and screams out:

"help!!!!!! get me out of this pigeon hole! the walls are sharp and angled, the air is stuffy and I feel trapped and confined!! Let me be freee, without your silly pigeon holes and enforced expectations."*

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Liquid Popmember
62 posts

Posted:
i would class a "raver", as someone who goes raving frequently. not someone thats been draged to a rave by there friends saying it kicks ass. just as a "skater" is a skater cuz he skates. not cuz he rides around on an old board and cant even ollie.

but there are classes of "raver":

"candy raver" - wears bracelets, lots of them, sucks on suthers all night (guys and girls)

"sketchy raver" - they people that just jump around to any music while fuked up on anything they can get there hands on, not caring about any style.

"stylin raver" - the raver that does what he can to earn style points. like dance, wears track suit, hat, other

"the happy raver, depressed kid" - the raver that seems like the most happy person, and the wickedest kid ever, but when actualy hanging out with them you realize there depresed and shit, but you still like them alot cuz you cant get the how happy they where when you met. they end up being a really good friend after a while too. and your glad you didnt drop them for being depressed

"drug dealer" - they guys who sell the drugs at the partys, so they can do more drugs at the after partys. (ya like none of you have ever done it)

"the bar star" - the people you see at raves, that are all dressed up in tight clothes, and usualy are in the hip hop room and really cant dance at all, the discrase to the raver name

all ravers have many things in common though. for example, they all come to a party to listen to loud music, meet people, who they would normaly never hang out with, but end up hanging out with them on a constant basis, they usualy pick up some form of dance, either there own style made completely by them, or there own style made by watching other people. i think no two people have the same style, even if they may do the same moves (liquid for example) it never looks the same, always a slight variation.

the after party, if you have been to a few raves then you have been to at least one after party, i find them more fun then the actual party, you have you friends spinin records, they once the beer store opens, you have the local dilivery service diliver beer, and every one does a bunch of drugs and partys until they get kicked out, then the hard cores find another place to party, until they cant party no more. (ya like you dont know what im talking about)

they all love to share PLUR. and usualy have some sort of a drug back ground, no matter how big or small.

well thats all i can think of for now, any one else got a raver class i missed???

well im sorry for writing a book but once i started i coulnt stop. ive alwyas wanted to write that down, i feel much better. happy partying

if practice makes perfect, and no one is perfect, then why practice?

pHoTiKrBOImember
27 posts

Posted:
no i dont really say im a raver....i just like swinging glowsticks...

and yeah i agree on earning ur name as a raver....but y earn it when its reputation is so bad??

pHoTiK kReW!!!!!

536 posts

Posted:
*whistles and claps*
That was great!

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
To be honest I hate the term raver. I understand that in different place different words mean different things but I can't get around that. I think it's because here in Ireland the term is only used by people who don't understand dance music as a way of stereotyping anybody who does. Nobody in here (and I mean nobody) would EVER call themselves a raver. Dance music has been around for a while now and it's probably the same as calling someone who listens to the rolling stones a rocker (does that sound right to people?).

Make no mistake if there's anybody that should (or shouldn't) be called a raver it's me but I would take serious offence if someone did. Does anybody from europe agree with me or is it a Dublin thing?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

HavocHavoc
168 posts

Posted:
Yuck! raver is so generic!

jumping about, to music that u love, wearing what u want, and dancing how u want should be all about personal expression! u just do what feels good, and have a wicked time.

u wouldn't wanna go defining a person into a group for such an activity now would u??

yey the music!

Havoc

you have to let it all go... Fear, doubt and disbelief... Free your mind!

Times like these people wanna get High...
Real High and Real Fast...
This is gonna do it!!

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
I agree with liquid pop . P.L.U.R all the way : enjoy:

quote:
PEACE:
The reason we like the music that we do, and dance like we do, is because it helps us achieve a state of inner peace, particularly peace with ourselves. For me the music that catalyses this state has a sticky label on it that says 'goa trance', sometimes 'psychedelic trance', and includes 'tribal trance'. Being able to dance the way we do is being able to be four years old again, to be free of ego like we were before self conscious-ness took control. When we dance free of ego, we are at peace with ourselves, and at peace with all those around us. In the peace of a good trance, when someone stands on my foot I get a real buzz out of it because it's a chance to put some of that peace 'out there' as well as having it inside. With a big grin and a squeeze of their shoulder I've been able to say "Hey! Isn't this great?" without being dorky about it.

Peace People!

LOVE:
It means you can turn to a complete stranger who's sipping a bottle of water, and they'll see your sweat dripping and ears glowing and your eyes dark and deep, and they'll smile and offer you the bottle. It means people not only call out to you "Are you okay mate?" when they hear you heaving your dinner in the toilet cubicle, but they care about the answer.

Love is the reason the people at Return to the Source hang crystals, sprinkle essence and otherwise prepare the space for us to be in together. Love is .... (fill in your own - hey, maybe there's a cartoon strip in there somewhere!)

UNITY:
I think this one shows the widest gap between the aspiration and the realisation. There still seem to be anorak wars between disciples / acolytes of various stylistic sub-genres, by people who've forgotten that preferring green to blue or liking cardamom more than coriander is not a sign of intellectual underendowment and spiritual inadequacy. For me the concept of unity is not us against them, but trying to give 'them' a glimpse of the wonderful space we experience at a good party.

RESPECT:
Sometimes I fantasize about a club with coat pegs all round the periphery, where everyone just hangs their stuff and it's still there when they come to wear it home. Hey, and you can even leave your money in the pockets - now that's *respect*.

Respect is also about realising that everyone's different. Bizarre as it may seem, not everyone thinks your whistle-blowing next to their ear enhances the total dance experience. If you really think people enjoy your trilling, and are blown away by the musical mastery evident in your one note mantra, then be fair and move around a lot. That way you leave everyone wanting more (maybe) rather than one poor bugger in front of you wanting less, much less.

By Peter Douglas

courtesy of the

Bristol Ravers Directory &
partyvibe.com

I Love that man

safe

[garbo]

[ 29. November 2002, 01:17: Message edited by: [garbo] ]

be excellent to each other: safe:

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
That's beautifull! Me and my mates always say, it's the way the world should be, free from judgement and insecurity. Don't forget to hug someone.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
damn straight

safe boss safe

[garbo]

[ 29. November 2002, 03:39: Message edited by: [garbo] ]

be excellent to each other: safe:

Spiral_komember
44 posts

Posted:
Who says "Raver" anymore anyway........

signed
XxThe clubbin fiend

Spin Doctormember
34 posts

Posted:
a raver you say?

Non-Https Image Link

Imagine something witty or profound was here.

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
quote:
any one else got a raver class i missed???

jungalist!!

quote:
Who says "Raver" anymore anyway
no one really but like it or not if you had to put all party kidz under one name it would be ravers.

drugs.. rock and roll. bad ass.. vegas hoes.. late night. booty calls.. shiny disco balls!!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I had this argument a year ago with Myst but i like dragging up the past. . . .

deepsoulsheep and havoc, american's have a different concept of "rave" from us. We mean early 90's, not cool no more partys. They tend to mean paid to get in, spent a fortune, saved all month clubs.

We say "crasher kids[/2] (at least in sheffield) they say "candy ravers" etc

It's one of the rules you have to apply to people from a different country:

Rule 1 - They live in a different country

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Anyone who thought my last post was overly harsh, should take into account that i was winking whilst i wrote it

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I said winking . . . .

Meh

536 posts

Posted:
ohh,okay c@ntus....

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
Hehehe.. I went to this all-ages party here in Toronto not too long ago. The average age had to be 17 years old and everyone was asking me if this was my 'first rave'.

It had no decorations, it was a legit establishment with 2 intellibeams and a not so well done sound system.

When I said no, the immediate next question is "how long have you been raving for?"

Perhaps this is just something from living in London, but I found this incredibly funny. Nobody had asked me that in a loooong time.

Not only that, but when someone sees that I d.j. in London, I would usually get the response "oh, so you d.j. eh?". Here I always get "you're a d.j.?"

I don't know if thats from the club scene being so young, or if it's not something that's ingrained. Cliquey, like a high school with its classifications.

I'm with the "I go out and have fun;)" crowd. I don't like being pigeon-holed and I personally feel that clothing should have labels, not people.

[ 29. November 2002, 19:15: Message edited by: FieryFlow ]

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
Liquid Pop,

The "happy raver, depressed kid" might be bipolar or a manic deppresive, you should advise him to cut down on the ecstacy

AardvarkOnAcidmember
92 posts

Posted:
Raver - noun - someone who showed up to the party 10 years too late.

Sounds bad, but its kind of true.

To me, the word "rave" has come to signify a big advertised party where a bunch of worthless fucks take advantage of 16 year olds, losers (often friends of the promotors) deal drugs to said 16 year olds, playing fluffy music, all to a bunch of people who think that being on e together gives you a bond that "others" don't understand. (do I sound bitter?). If you look around you at a party and everyone looks the same, its a rave.

I don't think I've heard anyone in the underground party circles I frequent (psy, breaks, tribal) refer to a party as a rave for in ages. Its become the R word that marks you as a drugged up teenager.

A friend of mine said it best: PLUR == pretty little underage ravers.

DISCLAIMER: This is my take on the community in a particular place. It may or may not have any relevance to your "scene".

Is that all life comes down to? To be lying face down with an overenthusiastic guy in pink pin-striped pants sitting on top of you and grunting? -- Random MusingsSex, Drugs and Psytrance.

Page: