SparketteBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
weavesmiley I was just wondering if there are any handy hints to photographing twirling flamage? I have a digital camera (fairly good) and my phone camera (not so gr8), do I need to leave the shutter open longer or something??? ubbidea

Or if this has already discussed elsewhere, could sum1 please direct me? ubbangel

Choice, not chance, determines destiny....
Carpe Diem!!!

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
Meenik has some of the best photos ever. you should ask him about it smile

and let me no what you find out cos im on a mis to try and take some wicked ones as well. its good if you can get a tripod if you are going to have a low shutter speed. but play around with it biggrin

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

SparketteBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
Sweeeeet smile Thanx... xcept, where is Meenik? confused

Its ok, redface I found him!
EDITED_BY: Sparkette (1134623734)

Carpe Diem!!!

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
have a look at his Gallery. there are some wicked photos there smile

SparketteBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
wow They are amazing, makes me think I should invest in an LED set, they look great weavesmiley

Carpe Diem!!!

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
yeah im trying to sus out where to get some good ones too. my set of glow pois have just died frown

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
First off, i'd suggest a search, as this thread has been done loads of times. Second off...
Poi Photography

wink

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
RE: that article - There isn't really heaps on there. They say nothing about flashes, f-stops, stability (other than tripods, and only very quickly then), or any other of the finer points to a good photo.

There are lots of variables to consider when you're taking a fire pic. That site up there does show the differences between shutter times, but, there's lots of things you can do with speeds as well. If you can work out how many beats per minute someone does, on average, then you should be able to set the shutter speed to catch only as many beats as you want. It's all well and good saying 'this turned this out while i was doing this move', but there is more to it than that, (un?)fortunately.

In regards to shutter speed, anything over about half a second would be a good starting point, but experimentation is key. Me, i like 2.5 seconds.

Another big point is autofocus. Or, more importantly, lack of it. With extrememly bright (compared to the surrounding area), movement, and other things that make cameras confused, manual focus (if possible) is the way to go. If not, you can try to fool your camera, but that's a little tricky sometimes.

One thing that i'm sure would affect it, but that i've never had the chance to really play with, is the apeture size. This affects the amount of light that reaches the sensor/film while exposing. This should vary the width of the light trail, but i really don't know, not having had the chance to play around.

And yes, tripods are good, but not really essential, especially if it's not a repeated movement.

Flashes are another big part, to get the frozen performer in the shot. You need a rear curtain fire, and it needs to be a pretty strong flash, too. If you have an slr, you might be able to set it onboard, but nearly all external flashes will do it too.

I might add more if/when i think of more to add.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: Asena

First off, i'd suggest a search

I second that - this question has been asked many many times! ubbrollsmile

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

SparketteBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
I was given my fire pois, but they were bought from 3worlds at the Goldcoast.... I'm pretty sure they have glowy action.... smile Oh and of course these guys sell them hey!?
EDITED_BY: Sparkette (1134973363)

Carpe Diem!!!

SparketteBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
Sweet, thanks heaps... am gonna give it a go

Carpe Diem!!!