Forums > Social Discussion > and now the old and poor will start to die(winter rant)..

Login/Join to Participate

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
its snowing today in edinburgh(tho the bbc says its sunny ubblol )

wahay! you might say.

not so.

every year many, many people die because of the cold winters.
this year is set to be colder than any in recent history, and...

energy prices are now so high that (according to the independent) many poor and elderly people will have to choose between food or heating.

fine for robust youths like me. not fine for elderly and frail people, and babies. ubbcrying

oh far sighted governtment... why do you not have a clue? why do we rely so much on gas and oil? why can we not support our less fortunate human beings?

frown

Rob

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
i'm not sure... and even fairly robust humans are laid low by not having heat.. i'm ill right now from being kept too cold, and i know plenty of others that are... doens't even make sense as then there's no-one to work.....

i think they just don't understand teyh concept

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
This is life in the street,as nice I believe in.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
hug

snowing down here in norwich too... freezing...

frown

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
This post isn't aimed at anyone person. Its just how I feel about the state of our communities today.

The answer to this fear of this risk of people dying is to start helping out people in your community that you feel are at risk. Go round and visit neighbours that you know are elderly or on low incomes. Turn up with a pan of stew and say you made too much and would they help you out by taking some off your hands because it will only go to waste other wise.

Invite them to come over to visit you for a game of cards or some such pretence because you know your house is warm.

Offer to drive elderly people, who are scared to go out because of the ice, to day centres where you know they can keep warm all day, meet people and get a meal.

Offer warm clothes/boots that you no longer need wink to families that can't afford to get their kids coats/shoes/jumpers (our favourite excuse was they were stuff our kids had grown out of). Tell them they were just going to be thrown out if they don't want them.

Yes fuel is too costly (in more than just a monetary way). Yes the government doesn't do enough for the elderly. Yes there are lots of people in this country living below the poverty level. We know this and we also know, if we pay attention, who some of those people are and it costs very little if anything other than time, unwanted clothes or a small amount of food to help these people out.

If you don't know your neighbours well enough to tell who is in need and who isn't, maybe you could take a bit of time to find out. There is no need in our very wealthy country for anyone to die of cold or malnutrition. It is down to ALL of us to make sure it doesn't happen and relying on a government body or someone else to do it doesn't wash with me. If you are not prepared to help others around you how can you expect anyone else to? You may say "Well isn't someone else meant to do it, why should I? What do I pay my taxes for after all?"

The answer to that one is simple, because if you absolve yourself from responsibility for the well being of your community and those in it then you have no community.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:

Proactive stuff Skully. Well done.
clap clap clap
Will need to do the same here soon but for heat.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Excellent post Skully.

cheers

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
hmmm maybe I ranted a bit too much...... sorry. It's not been a very good day and I just vented my spleen a bit.

grouphug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I didn't read any ranting into your post at all, in fact I found it rather refreshing to read just how an individual can actually make a difference in the life of someone less privileged.

When it comes to social issues a lot of us get caught up in the whole finger pointing, someone should do something, let's have a protest argument, when really the solutions lie within our individual lifestyle choices.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Yay Skully!
Reminding us to Act, -- and dont underestimate what you can do as an individual, even a fairly minimaly resourced one as myself ;-)

Today I was shocked by hearing on the news the appaling statistic that in my province,**one in four **children lives in conditions below the poverty line- meaning they go hungry at times... !!!That a quarter of the children!!!! This, in Canada,!!! one of the most prosperous countries in the world. Heartbreaking disparity, that some should be so wealthy and some actually hungry. How can the children play and learn when they are hungry? Disgusting.

Across the country it is one in six children. Our government all to a vow in parliment to end child poverty by the year 2000.... Hmmmn. What went wrong?

Greed perhaps?

It is pretty cold here too, maybe not all of us in igloos, but still cold! In the city, people sleeping on the streets, getting kicked of the streets and told to move on, so they cant even sleep! Sad. My visit to the city recently was disturbing.

In my community, however, it is much smaller and a bit different.
( an island with a fairly mild climate) People sleeping out at least have tents and a place to shower. And I think it is probably one of the few places in the world where the food bank is primarily organic locally grown food with free range eggs, wild salmon and fish.... Our community is very generous and overall, conscious of sharing at least the basics.

Sometimes, we should all just count our blessings, and give thanks. I was robbed ( in the city, not at home) yesterday, and feeling a bit shitty, angry, not thankful towards the world. But I am home now, surrounded by beauty and friends, snug and warm, realizing how very lucky I am to have what I have. I can manage to do without what was taken... Some people are not at all as fortunate.

Skully, I love your suggestions, for me one of the best ways to give thanks is to share. Time, warmth, connection compassion. A beautiful timely reminder you guys!
love, Andrea

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
yay skully!

very awesome.

would help if i lived anywhere...

I will again soon hopefully!

its nice to have suggestions you know, i ahev trouble thinking of things to do at times, and, well, i'm sure i'm not the only one!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Have changed my mind a bit since I've come back from shopping and someone sat just outside my house begging for money for food. I gave him some of the food I'd just bought, and went out a few hours later to find him gone and the food trampled on the ground.

Now I know not everyone's like this, but I have to admit it reduced my will to help by quite a bit.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Sorry about the cold. We've got this whole global warming scheme that should fix it soon. Hope it helps. devil

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Actually global warming will cool the norther hemisphere down. As the ice caps melt there will be more fresh water in the north atlantic which will cause the gulf stream to stop and the events of The Day After Tomorrow will take place.

Skully is right about helping the elderly and infirm. If I weren't a skint student I'd help a lot more than I do.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
thanks skully. i didn't mean it to be a
rant about the government while doing nothing' thread.

i meant it to be a
'rant about the government and feel sad' thread.

points of help well taken on board.

smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I thought this was going to be about

Pakistan Earthquake Relief

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
skully is my hero...

In the US, the poor seem almost shunted away out of sight, out of earshot. In fact, it was last year that the Chicago Mayor/police purged Lower Whacker Dr. in downtown and forced the homeless out from under their makeshift shelters and alleyways... I hope most of them are safe now or in a better place.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire