Forums > Help! > Waking up with sore throat

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Does anyone else wake up with a really sore throat?

I always seem to and its really hurts and is really annoying, its happened I think as long as I can remember, (Which fair enough is a couple of months wink ) but still just curious if anyone could help me as to what it is, its pretty much the exact same feeling you get when you have tonsilitus that it hurts when you swallow etc, it only seems to go away after i have some water and about an hour. I dont know what it could be, I thought maybe it's if I sleep with my mouth open that my throat gets dry and it was suggested to me that it could be the smoke because I work in a bar, but even smokers dont always get it right?

Just curious what it is because it always puts a downer on waking up frown

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
sounds like you're not drinking enough (non-alcoholic) fluids, will, i get like that when I'm really dehydrated. put a glass of water at your bedside!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
I do have a tendancy to not drink much, I normally wait till im really thirsty before I take a drink, maybe its that

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Don't sleep with your mouth open. wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

loki.c1687SILVER Member
addict
546 posts

Posted:
nar mate i got the same issuie its the second hand smoke in the bars alot of bar tenders have that.... but dont worry will its only gona kill us in a painful slow coffing up abits of ya lungs way...
mike.c

Rules and responsibities:
These are the ties that bind us.
We do what we do,because of who we are.
If we did otherwise,we would not be ourselves.
I will do what i have to do
And i will do what i must..

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Avoid eating knives in your sleep.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Do you smoke? Do you or other people smoke in the room you sleep in? I find this happens to me if I was smoking a lot the night before and/or in my bedroom right before going to sleep.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
i get it too will, its cos you arent drinking enought water, i live in a constant state of dehydration, its not fun, but its tough to change, mine gets so bad i dont have enough fluid to moisten my lips and they get all dry and cracked and sore, trust me man, you dont wanna get to my state, ive started forcing myself to drink 3 pints or water a day, one with breakfast, one with lunch and one with dinner, or with a meal drinking a whole carton of fruit juice

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Drinking water is harder than it seems, I never drink water myself I get all my liquid from my food...well I think I do I never remember drinking water, perhaps I am i just dont think about it.

Why dont you try perposfully drinking a tall glass before you go to bed everynight, if it stops you know why it started, if it carrys on thats one thing to tick off your checklist of possible reasons.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I'm not convinced its all down to not drinking enough water. I drink lots of water, well over twice the recommended daily amount, and I go through phases of this problem. Then I realised that it was when I had a blocked up nose, meaning I was breathing through my mouth all night and drying my throat. Although you should still drink all the water too, it is probably this that is the main cause. Put together with the smoky workplace and the dehydration, this is probably agravating the problem.

I managed to stop sleeping with my mouth open by making a very concious effort, even putting myself in a position, such as my hand under my chin, that meant my mouth was closed. Try to do this, drink more water, (get a new job!), and if you're still having the same problem in a couple of days of doing this, then go see your doctor.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
It also happens when you do stuff like clicking your tongue a lot (a nervous tick... I get it from time to time when I'm stressed and don't realise it because I only do it when noone's around to tell me off for it). Whenever I don't my throat's better...

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: pricklyleaf

I'm not convinced its all down to not drinking enough water. I drink lots of water, well over twice the recommended daily amount, and I go through phases of this problem. Then I realised that it was when I had a blocked up nose, meaning I was breathing through my mouth all night and drying my throat. Although you should still drink all the water too, it is probably this that is the main cause. Put together with the smoky workplace and the dehydration, this is probably agravating the problem.

I managed to stop sleeping with my mouth open by making a very concious effort, even putting myself in a position, such as my hand under my chin, that meant my mouth was closed. Try to do this, drink more water, (get a new job!), and if you're still having the same problem in a couple of days of doing this, then go see your doctor.

I reckon you hit the nail on the head, as I'm in the same position as you were... except teaching myself to sleep with mouth closed isn't working too well.

Willy - is bad for your health...

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

Don't sleep with your mouth open. wink

But lookit guys!

I said that already!

Am I invisible?

*looks panicky*

wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
maybe the air in your room is just too dry generally, you should get some plants smile

i have the same, in hot rooms, i quite frequently wake up with a blocked nose, and throat because i can't breathe through my nose, but it's much better if the room is not completely dry, you can also put a bowl of water near the heat source, helps to moisten the air a bit...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the info, i reckon its prob a mix of all of the above really, i have a tendancy to breathe through my mouth anyway so its bound to stay open, i dont smoke but work about 4 nights in a busy bar so prob that doesnt help, plus the dehydration! frown

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
tsk tsk, you will all shrivel up like raisins! i drink about 6 litres of water a day... although also you shouldn't drink too much, beacuse it washes the salt out of you and then you die... apparently.

but maybe you should try breathing exercises too, like the ones in yoga where you do one nostril and then the other... find yoga book, it's probably in there...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Cue NYC to come in here and say hes already created a thread about waking up with a sore throat, then cue Doc to come in a suggest a watery spray stuff that makes your mouth wet for a long time, and that he pescribes it to most patients..
Search for a more indepth version with more details than aimée's memory

smile

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
more water more water more water more water!
drink a glass before you go to bed as well as having a glass at your bedside.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Saw this thread earlier and forgot to mention, If you leave a computer on all night (or a TV or anything else that makes a lot of heat or has a big transformer in it), then it messes up the ions in the air. Negatively charged ones are the kind you get at the seaside, or up on top of hills and mountains and are nice and healthy. Electrical equipment makes nasty positively charged ions. I used to have a huge fileserver and webserver running all the time in my room, and always woke up with a sore throat, and very dry eyes. Now those computers are in the garage I'm feeling a lot better.

The same kind of thing can happen in offices with lots of computers, and can get really bad during the winter when all the windows are closed. If you can't turn stuff off, then you can get an ionizer that balances out the ions and makes the air a lot healthier.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I too have been waking up with a really painful throat for the past few days.
To combat this, I have been munching on Strepsils.
Blackcurrant ones.

I think I got it due to a really dusty floor I was sleeping on last Saturday night.

I make really odd noises in my sleep though which is to do with me forcing air in and out quickly at the back of my throat, which results in me sounding like a piggy. Oink oink.

"Negatively charged ones are the kind you get at the seaside, or up on top of hills and mountains and are nice and healthy. " - Its true, but still makes me feel like a hippy when I think about it wink

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Get someone to watch you sleep. I reckon you sleep on your back and "breathe". Try sewing a pocket on the back of your sleep shirt, and put a ping pong ball in it, so you dont sleep on your back.
EDITED_BY: Gnor (1133264253)

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Sorry, was that a general comment or one specifically to stop me sounding like bacon?

umm
EDITED_BY: UnbeatenChampionOfFighting (1133262841)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Its a tip someone told me to stop people sleeping on their backs, which is when most people snore or make piggy noises. wink

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
I'd say it would be the working as a bar man smile Mind you your not allowed the smoke around the bar in england right? Maybe your alergic to that bottle o vino tinto i slipped you a why back biggrin
Hope it goes away soon man, and an excessive amount of water evryday might help too.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

DrBooBRONZE Member
I invented the decaffinated coffee table.
453 posts

Posted:
Could be post-nasal drip.
Nice, huh?!
Apparently it's all part of the mucous - nasal cilia system that defends us from disease. I think what happens is that when the cilia system slows down the mucous can thicken and you can experience it as pain at the back of the throat. Alternatively, it's just the secretions going down the back of your throat while you sleep.
Post-nasal drip of this sort can be especially bad if you have a cold.
It generally leads to have a sore, irritated throat.
Treatments include drinking hot drinks (esp. tea and chicken soup - don't know why), to move the cilia. I generally find anything that "dries up" the the mucous helps - such as an antihistamine - especially taken before bed. But I'm not sure if that would be a recommended "cure".

However, I hasten to add that I'm not that kind of Doctor. And it may be best to go and have a chat with a real one and see what they'd suggest.

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
or, Will, you could spit instead of swallow?

I've heard that can give you a sore throat... wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
gargling?

ubbangel

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Written by: UnbeatenChampionOfFighting

I make really odd noises in my sleep though which is to do with me forcing air in and out quickly at the back of my throat, which results in me sounding like a piggy. Oink oink.

I can vouch for this, as I now have Jon making piggy noises as the ring tone on my phone ubblol I get some strange looks when it rings in public.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

Anyway I can have ickle piggy noises as my ring tone too? biggrin

Is it the Truth?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
If you send me your phone biggrin

ChickpeaSILVER Member
mostly a muppet in need of distraction...
305 posts

Posted:
Just back to the chicken soup thing....apparently if its properly made chicken soup i.e. boiling the bones etc then the soup has properties which cause mucous to dry up - like if you have a cold and are full of phlegm etc it reduces the secretions...according to my lecturer so it must be true
becs

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Page: