Page:
IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Pile of turd I thought, liked he first one couse it was orrigional and had a good plot to it. The second just seemed like action action action all the way through and there for the shameless escuse to blow things up and make money, and the third neo turns into some sort of super hero with magic powers outside the matirx or something, then at the end he fights the rogue agent whatever his name is, LOOSES the fight and somehow that makes him win? the fights are all very unimaganative just the same looking as the first two films and coverd in sily explosions and silly CG affects to cover up the boringess that fights have become in the film.

Yawwwwn

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
umm the first matrix has been a major jaw-dropper for me. I couldn't believe that there was a movie showing what I perceived to be "reality", that such a movie would be produced and not censored.

The impact the first part had (in terms of displaying a message) was impossible to reproduce - that's why part 2 and 3 (to most) was so disappointing.

As I watched the first part three times with different people it came obvious that many would not look beyond the action and visualisation-part of the flick. Some stated that it was a "boring sci-fi action movie" eek Just after explaining my view of the flick they were starting to go.... hmmmm, ok....

The trilogy (to me) displays the cycle of birth-life-death in it, a methaphore to life anyways. One gets conscious, realises her/his powers, puts them to use and realises you only can STOP the fight by ending TO fight - anythnig else will perpetuate the same ol ways.

The view of the character Neo is exactly the methaphore to what someone sees, when s/he sees with open eyes... if you look at a house, you may only see the building, but not the building - got that? umm If you actually perceive every piece of work, put into the building (incl. everything) then you know what I'm talking about. Same if you space out on a train ride while looking through the window... If you could see all the information stored in every subject/object around you - *phew* that would be very destracting. Same applies when looking at a person. There is so much more information than one consciously perceives...

However, to realize one owns potential, train and expanding it while solving lifes equasion (by doing so) and breaking the "great conspiracy", to me is one step further than "dark city"... (which was and is a great movie, just noir-style while matrix is leaning more to mainstream US and reaches a different audience (subconsciously))...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Why would the Matrix be censored??? It's not like it has a political statement or something.

Written by: FireTom

STOP the fight by ending TO fight - anything else will perpetuate the same ol ways

Are you sure you're not thinking of Return of the Jedi?? Neo kees fighting Smith until he destroys him (in the first film, which is what I assume we're talking about).

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Well I was sort of putting it all together... rolleyes he didn't destroy Agent Smith in the first part... and whether or not he dies in the ultimate fight is left unclear... Matrix has no political statement? Hmmm - I can't fully agree on this... Wanting to wake up from the dream, realizing what's going on, withdrawnig from the existing system to see and live the truth, resisting and even fighting the matrix... umm To me the Matrix is both, the (external) political system as well as the (internal) struggles in ones own head... just the impression that the movie left with me...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
er I think you're reading a little much into it tbh, it's quite a good film but it's not exactly life changing philosophy, and if it's a metaphor for politics aka 'the man' etc, then it's not very positive, it basically would say wait for the holy dude to save your ass cause he's the one? Best thing about that film (in my opinion) is the idea that there's gonna be computer games that good one day

BrynSILVER Member
68 posts

Posted:
Yeah the Matrix games kinda suck, havent played path of neo yet though, anyone know if its any good? Oh and I'm guna have to say I think the Matrix Trilogy is great, granted the second two arent as good but thats only cos they weren't new after you've seen the first one, i'd still like to see someone else come up with a more original plot, that has the ability to make you think, how do i know this is real and i'm not just in a computer generated world right now...........

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I read a review in a magazine and apparently its not. Gun combat is badly done, hand to hand combat is repetative and there are too many bad guys coming at you, but thena gain one mans Path of Neo is another mans *inster wimsicle ending to this scentence*

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Well to the best of his knowledge (and the Wachowski bros knowledge too) he destroyed Smith at the end of the first one. It was only when the Original Matrix made stupidly large sums of profit that they decided to make a trilogy and bring Smith back.

And it might be about rebelling against authority, but there are thousands of films with that as a sub or main plot point. Why should it get censored anywhere apart from maybe China?

I'd disagree with the fact that the second/third ones were bad because they weren't "New". That wasn't it, it was the fact that:

1. The "Machines" were acting more human than the humans were. Smith is an infinitely better character than Neo/Morpheus/Trinity.

2. The third one was tedious as hell, with no sympathy generated for anyone, and about 20 straight minutes of CG combat between walkers and sentinels, all of which was very boring.

3. They chose to intersperse these segments of repetitive action (especially in the second one) with random philosophical bullsh!t which often included phrases such as "Ergo", "Thus" and "You are the unresolved sum of an imbalanced equation created years ago blah blah blah" Not very absorbing.

But I'm sure this has all been said before, I'm just awake at 2.15 AM and bored biggrin

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
All three are great. Treasure them. My post will not do them justice.....but....

The first is a classical 'hero' movie where the ending is left open but ends on such a high note of positivity. Morpheus was right, Neo is the one, Trinity does love him, he 'beats' reality by realising that he is a being of unlimited potential.

When we hit the 2nd on, the story telling is far from normal. We find out Neo doesn't have all the answers, Morpheus - who is a true believer that we are so happy for in the first film - is actually wrong about the One. They aren't free but just in a another form of control, his beliefs are shattered.

By the 3rd they (the Watchowskis) are way off the normal path and treading on strange ground as far as resolving issues and the stuff we all grasped so easily from the first movie is much more elusive and hard to get.

I think once they wandered from the 'Hero comes good' formula, they stopped resonating with people as well. Hence the distaste compared to after the first one which leaves you feeling so empowered and good.

I walked out of Reloaded and Revolutions puzzled. I liked so much but didn't like so much. I thought "This is going to take some figuring out." I believed that after the level of effort they went to on the first one couldn't have been lost in the sequels.

The bottom line is that they are great films to analyse. Listening to philosphers break them apart is great and there is plenty around. They sparked an interest to read about philosophy and think about my own position in reality.

""Fight, Fight, Philosophy-talk-that-no-one-who-isn't-doing-a-degree-on-it-is-interested-or-cares-about, fight, fight"."

That's what I like about it. There is some depth there to revisit and think about.

At any rate, they are very polarizing films in my experience with an overwhelming majority seeming to want to hang sh!t on them. I wouldn't change that for the world but for me, they have profound meaning and I enjoy them immensly.

*lurks back off in the background*
EDITED_BY: BEZERKER (1139304057)

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
They should have screwed with us and made Morpheus turn out to be the One in the end. Then given us a "13th Floor" style ending regarding Zion and the supposed "real world."

Page: