RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
I was at a rummage sale with my girlfriend earlier today and I found a bunch of jingle bells. Naturally I bought them for like 10 cents and decided to turn them into a set of poi. I ended up having to go buy more of them so it would be a bit bulkier but they turned out kind of neat. I was wondering if anyoen else has made a set of poi specifically to make a sound and if theres any cool things you've done with them. These only make a sound when they wrap. I'll make a video sometime soon of them being spun.

Peace, Love, Circles

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I threaded some extra leather strips through all the eyelets on bells starting with a big bell in the middle, then a mid-sized one on either side, then 3 smaller oneson each side of those . Then I have the strap tied in a loop so i can attach them to these "chains" I made with nylon rope, a wooden ball for the handle and one of those clamps on the end to connect the jinglies. It's like spinning a clump of bells. I think I might make my girlfriend a pair with all the extra bells I have and then if we both spin the jingles will sound alot better.

Peace, Love, Circles

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I make home made flutes from plastic tubing, and, realising that whenever I went spinning I generally took a flute or two, i decided to combine them into 'flute poi'.

They worked well as poi- i put 'ball end' handles on, and they were great for releases and two-in-one-hand stuff as well.

Although it was never the point, they did make a sound when spinning as well.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I hopefully might be getting some bull roar poi. A bull roar for those who don't know is a rope with a wedge shaped peice of wood on the end that makes a roaring sound when spun in a circle. I was just thinking if I get these then someone could play percussion (the bells) and someone could create a bass sound with the bull roar and if I made a pair of flute poi, then I could have a little poi band. ubblol

Peace, Love, Circles

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
My friend had a set of ropes with bells strung all down them. They were kinda long so it was easy to brush them against the ground on every beat to put out the sound.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

CatalystSILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
Yeah....last year, I bought some x-mas ornaments that were brass bells tied onto ropes....like 6 or 7 bells per ornament....and I turned them into poi, and I think they are quite nice smile

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I think thats what my friend had too Cat.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Traditional Maori poi is very percussionesc. They do it all synchronised and bounces of the forearm spring to mind.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rovo

I hopefully might be getting some bull roar poi. A bull roar for those who don't know is a rope with a wedge shaped peice of wood on the end that makes a roaring sound when spun in a circle. I was just thinking if I get these then someone could play percussion (the bells) and someone could create a bass sound with the bull roar and if I made a pair of flute poi, then I could have a little poi band. ubblol

Not a bad idea, could be very interesting... ubbidea

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
You are a pirate!

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rovo

Not a bad idea, could be very interesting... ubbidea

You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
You are a pirate!

ammreSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
how about those nerf footballs that made the wizzing sound, they obiviouslly used the flow of air past them to make the noise... i wonder if thatcould be incorperated... tie two of the footballs weighted right so they spin nose first and see if that makes enough noise for ya...

also maybe Boleadoras using poi to strike an echoing surface... ( https://www.azlance.com:16080/~richasi/Cirque/Saltbnco/act05.htm
)

that which yeilds is not always weak.

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
I have got to see avid of them doing that. I was thinking about something like this the other day, some kinda poi I can hit on the ground and make a beat with. Man how awsome would it be to be YOUR OWN DRUM CIRCLE! lol.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

Catsmiomember
37 posts

Posted:
Jingle poi.. what an awesome idea!!

Hey how short were Maori poi traditionally?

"Don't be so humble, you are not that great."