3 Play Festival 1264
4 Uk Spinners Invade Ireland 1193
5 Common Ground 1053
6 Uberstaff 1 - the first prequel 896
7 Falmouth II 783
8 Uberpoi 771
9 Midlands/North Sphercular Hop Day Ball 738
10 Falmouth I 575

It seems that over the last year or so more and more mini hop festival/events are starting to spring up, i was wondering what it is that makes them so special/memorable/topic of conversation for people.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
My typical cynicm would say it has more to do with how bored the people that attend them were at work during the weeks before and after.

If you read them you'll see... it's the same people. biggrin

I don't think the volume of posts corresponded with the specialness/memorableness of the events.

I think that the events were special... but, for example, my posts on Uberpoi had NOTHING to do with how wonderful an event it was (which it was)... it had to do with the fact that I was bored infront of a computer at the time.

Isn't that were all posts really come from? wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I am too bored in front of my work computer to forumulate a retort, NYC.

by the way, Common Ground was *great!*

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
*can't believe CG is 5th..*

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I refused to post on uberpoi or Fal4 threads largely because i couldn't sift thru them. And that doesn't mean they wern't memorable... it just means I didn't have that much spare time! (then... i sort of do now tongue)

I think its just what happens when a lot of uni/sixth form/ etc students are on break at the same time a lot of people are bored at work.......

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
The Ireland thread... well... it was great, but about 25% of the posts are about getting Nate to do the video ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"I don't think the volume of posts corresponded with the specialness/memorableness of the events."

umm

Lol, maybe it is to do with how many people have access to the internet - but it's those same people who want to meet up - so they make the effort rolleyes

We post on the threads we are going to/have been to, to share memories of what was an absolutely amazing time for everyone involved.

Yeah, there's a load of crap and organising, but things don't usually happen unless there is organisation.

Anyways, getting back to the point - these events are springing up all over the place because over the last year lots of the UK and Irish spinners have become really close and we want to meet up and have a laugh and a spin with as many people as possible.

It's really good energy, and even when it rains it's still marvellous to see everyone.

It's like going to the pub to see your mates - only it's a field. With lots more mates.

Getting to the other side smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I don't think it's any coincidence that I was at the top 3 wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I been at 6 of them eek

(and the top 3 ubbangel )

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
I was at the top 3 too biggrin

And Clare has the right of it - especially about the organising ubblol I tend not to post or even read threads until right near the date cos I get so confused ubbloco

But it has been a truly great summer in the UK for spin meets and because of the threads I knida know who's going and a bit more about them and the in jokes before i get there, so for a newbie like me it's been great!

Here's to a full and rich 2006! weavesmiley biggrin

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
So now we're gonna post whore a thread to get it ranked?

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yep tongue

Do I get extra marks for being at the top 4?!!

ubblol ubblol ubblol

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
You only went as my groupie (Apart from the Irish one which doesn't count as it's your local) smile

So no... hug wink

[on topic]
I don't think post counts has anything to do with the greatness of the event - For example this "Farewell Clapham" meet thread is pretty much entirely FRD & Linden waffling on about rubbish for SEVERAL pages.
I think most would agree Play was the pick of the bunch this year - yet there were loads of non-HoPpers there so this isn't reflected either.

As for what makes them the most memorable/special - It's the people biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

My typical cynicm would say it has more to do with how bored the people that attend them were at work during the weeks before and after.

If you read them you'll see... it's the same people. biggrin

I don't think the volume of posts corresponded with the specialness/memorableness of the events.

I think that the events were special... but, for example, my posts on Uberpoi had NOTHING to do with how wonderful an event it was (which it was)... it had to do with the fact that I was bored infront of a computer at the time.

Isn't that were all posts really come from? wink

I dunno, there's something more than boredom that makes me post on forums... they're just plain addictive. Right now i have tonnes of things to do, i just cbf.
I always feel a bit sad if i get straight home from a festival or event and put the first (post event) post on its thread. Oh well....

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
whoa....

ive been to 8 of them.........

i must find another social circle wink

ubblol

Still like many have said its purley because i like meeting up with my "friends" in a filed, on a beach, up a hill..........

Every time its been ace biggrin

Speaking of being bored - Ben surley you must have been to work this out! ubblol

Roll on more fine events ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
surly those counts are now out of date, they must all be updated by at least one, as ben bought up the subjects again....

Step (el-nombrie)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Groupie?! Well, maybe once. I thought you were Ed tongue

biggrin

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ed? Oh.. you mean E_war smile

What an odd little man he is...

There's a chance I'll be at home tonight long enough to sort your DVD.

Now, stop being offtopic wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
well, the top three are the only ones I've been to, so that must have something to do with it... wink

Clare - I can't work out if that's supposed to be an insult to me or paul... wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hahahahahahaha.

No insult intended to either CJ'er, you're both lovely.

And thanks muchly Mr Durbs... looking forward to seeing it biggrin

hug

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Dammit. I was hoping you'd say Paul... wink still, I suppose you have to be nice... He is making you a DVD after all...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
no glasto thread in the rankings eek

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
awww, i think it's sweet.

when you go to a poi thing it's like you atrat a little club of the people who were there, epsecially with jokes that ran the whole thing.

it's kind of nice to keep talking about a time when you were all together & havin a wicked time.

makes me happy anyway smile

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.