Forums > Social Chat > Never burns long enough!

Login/Join to Participate

Lunamember
11 posts

Posted:
When I first got my poi, I didn't know about having to light them and put them out a few times first so I never did that. My poi have Kevlar wick on them which is good quality. Every time I light up, even if I soak them longer they still only stay lit for a minute or two!?!?! 3-4 min. would be nice! I use Coleman's fuel, which is also known as white fuel (I think!) What am I doing wrong? Please help! Thanks!------------------[URL=https://www.geocities.com/lunasoleil2000]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey luna,well first of all, you're using white gas. white gas evaporates very quickly. use lamp oil!!! you can pick it up at any local hardware store or walgreens. it will double your burn time!!!how's the fans coming?flavio

The Cabirimember
20 posts

Posted:
we've had good luck with kerosene burning for a long time too... it's stinkier and dirtier than lamp oil... but cheaper too.I've noticed that lamp oil loses viscosity when it gets hot, and that it gets really drippy, which is why we don't use it much. it also takes a while to light, unlike other fuels which ignite quickly...so it's a toss up. but we use kerosene on all our big stuff like fire puppets and other BIG wicks. it's good for outdoor use, but indoors? NO WAY! Charly

Lunamember
11 posts

Posted:
Thanks! I'll try that. Although I don't think it'll ever burn long enough. I haven't finished making the fans. I never got around to ordering the wick. Today is my birthday so I'm placing my order for some today. I made them like the ones in the picture you sent me only I put more aluminum tape on them to cover most of the fan. My only concern is how fast it'll get too hot to handle. I guess I'll just have to try it and see! Next I'll try to make fire fingers. As soon as I get to light up the fans, I'll send you a picture. I got a scanner for Christmas. smile Thanks again for the directions on making the fans. Thanks to Mellissa too! I'll keep you guys posted on the developments. Any specific lamp oil? or will any do? I'm off to Wal-Mart tonight to get some.

Lunamember
11 posts

Posted:
I didn't see the other posting. Kerosene is so stinky, I don't mind but I performed in a restaurant for my office Christmas Party and they all whined about the smell. I used white gas for that. I guess they smelled it more because the room was small so Kerosene indoors wouldn't be a good idea. I guess I'm going to try different fuels this weekend. Thanks Charly.[This message has been edited by Luna (edited 28 December 2000).]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Another variable is amount of wick you use. I'd say start with 3-4 feet on each poi (2 ft if you're swinging torches) and work up from there. At this point, I'm using 5 ft for torches and 6-8 ft on poi. See what works for you. Diana

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
hey di, you mean 6-8 ft on each poi, or altogether?just curious. wink

Kameronmember
11 posts

Posted:
I have used kero, lamp oil, & coleman. I prefer a blend of coleman/lamp oil when performing indoors for a longer burn. LAmp oil alone always gave me a REALLY slow light and blows out when i spin fast.I use four- eight feet of wick per poi...so i know i have enough wick, however EVERY time i have used it I went out VERY fast.Kero just isn't what it used to be....

Patriciamember
2 posts

Posted:
Hi,Look I'm responding to your post. You know I have the same problem, isn't that funny?Can't wait till Friday to learn the STAFF. Hehehehehe. Hey it was Luna's birthday yesterday, everyone. Happy Birthday Luna

Patriciamember
2 posts

Posted:
Hey Charly, I'm Luna's partner in crime down here in Florida. Your troupe is very impressive, at least from the few items I've read about it. You refer to a prop called a fire puppet. What's that?! Just curious.ThanksPatricia

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Heph, yes, I mean each poi. Kam, that's curious. How your tight is your wick wrapped? If it's wrapped too tight it won't absorb as much fuel. It should be give a bit when pressed, but not so loose that there's big gaps between the layers. Has this always been always been a problem or is it recent? Older wicks tend to absorb less fuel. If it's neither of these things, well, hmmm, try soaking them longer or try a different wick type, like wireless if you're using wired or vice versa. BTW, are you blending them in the same container? Lamp oil and white gas separate, with lamp oil rising to the top, I believe. The way I've always used the combo is soaking in lamp oil first and then dipping white gas after for a quick light. Hope this helps. Short burns can be a drag. Now, wait, I'm a little confused. Are you using lamp oil or kerosene? Diana

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've been told that diesel fuel gives a longer burn than anything else. This is really stinky and flammable, though, so this advice should be treated with caution. The woman who told me this usually uses a cocktail of diesel, coleman fuel, and lamp oil (I have no idea of the proportions).

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

The Cabirimember
20 posts

Posted:
Hey Luna and Patricia,Well, a 'fire puppet' is a metal frame, in a shape (for example, a dragon) with fiberglass rope all over it. Then, you soak the rope, light it up, and woohoo- you've got a fire puppet!We actually had an 8' long, 7' high fire-breathing dragon puppet for a show we did in Vancouver, B.C. last summer - his name was 'Kur'. He's a neato prop - very hot, though - the puppeteer had to be a good 5 feet away from him! ouch!There's a picture of a 'sun' fire puppet, as well as 'Kur' breathing fire (it's just his head, not his whole body) on our webpage - www.cabiri.orgWe also find creative ways to light them - like flame throwers. To light the 'sun' puppet my partner/teacher John was on stilts, and shot a flame thrower disguised as a stone tablet onto it... it was an incredible effect, and was perfect for the story we were telling.Anyhoo... hope that answered your question. Feel free to email me if there's any more that I can help you with.Charlycharly@cabiri.org