Forums > Technical Discussion > Anyone thought about Carbon Based Full Lenght staves?

Login/Join to Participate

Cute Little Burning BallBRONZE Member
101 posts

Posted:
since Carbon is a very light material, it has a high stiffness and its not that flexiible but wont break that easily as fiber glass more resistant that is, wouldnt it make a great stable staff, dont you think?

please comments, im not that much of a staff twirler so i dont know much what is more important about staves, but i love to build things so will apriciate the help.

Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless. - Calvin 'Calvin & Hobbes'

Willaxnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
I want a nanotube staff!

buckyball poi too.

it seems like it would work and be very light. It's just that carbon fiber tube is kinda difficult to machine, and very expensive in large diameters and legnths. If it snapped, which it is far more likely than metal to do, an easy 400 bucks up in flames. Aluminum electrical conduit is pretty light and speedy, altough kinda springy for good contact. If you want extreme speed, my friend made a staff with titanium tube he bought off ebay for a relatively small amount of dough.

You could try to get a broken graphite golf club shaft from a buddy or the dump. That would make a speedy baton ish thing.

Cute Little Burning BallBRONZE Member
101 posts

Posted:
a Buckyball poi with nanotube strings that would make a great toy for a flea circus

yeah i thought about titanium myself but really expensive, since i wanna make some staff for friends and ppl i know that would gladly buy them.

u say it will snap? i thought that carbon would be harder than aluminium and lighter. i would like to try different staffs like Glass fiber, Anodize Alu (any ideas where to get such?) Carbon, or Titanium until i get the perfect one, then i can take over the world buuuuahh ha ha ha ha. devil

i need some sleep

cya
EDITED_BY: Cute Little Burning Ball (1128059147)

Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless. - Calvin 'Calvin & Hobbes'

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I think carbon is harder, but its also more brittle. Aluminium/softer metals have a degree of flex in them, where carbon doesn't. Something to do with the ionic structure or something. Much like ice, in a way, in that it's really inflexible, but shatters pretty easy.

Carbon fibre might be a little better re brittleness, but i daresay that'd still be easy to snap

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie